Big Ten Reset: Key offseason storylines for Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and more (MN: Trending: Down. A retooling year awaits for Fleck)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Sam:

Minnesota​

2022 Record: 9-4, 5-4
Key Departures: RB Mo Ibrahim, OC Kirk Ciarrocca, QB Tanner Morgan, LB Mariano Sori-Martin, S Michael Dixon,

Key Additions: WR Elijah Spencer (Charlotte), RB Sean Tyler (Western Michigan) WR Corey Crooms (Western Michigan)

Key Storylines: The players who most helped Minnesota win nine games in 2021 and 2022 are leaving as the second chapter of PJ Fleck’s tenure starts. The Gophers will break in new offensive linemen and new defensive playmakers.

Key Question: Can an offense that stunk after the opening month turn the corner? Fleck moved on from playcaller Kirk Ciarrocca — yet another OC change in Minneapolis. He got Tyler — with two 1,000-yard seasons — from WMU.

2023 Schedule Notes: Minnesota has a real road game – at North Carolina – and Ohio State and Michigan both on the schedule.

Trending: Down. A retooling year awaits for Fleck and the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

Fair to think that from an outside perspective, but despite losing MSM, Mo and JMS. Plus depth pieces to the portal. There's good depth across the board and some timely portal additions at WR, running back, linebacker and the secondary. Plus this team gets CrAB, BSF and Nubin back. I do think going 9-4 again would be a success with our crossover games. Big ask for anyone in the West to run the table vs the rest of the division.. Although getting three head coaches in their first year, and the Illinois at home, not to mention NW still being down helps with that. Can they finally knock off Iowa, will Fleck trust AK to do what you need to do vs Iowa and beat them through the air?

Per Sam:

Minnesota​

2022 Record: 9-4, 5-4
Key Departures: RB Mo Ibrahim, OC Kirk Ciarrocca, QB Tanner Morgan, LB Mariano Sori-Martin, S Michael Dixon,

Key Additions: WR Elijah Spencer (Charlotte), RB Sean Tyler (Western Michigan) WR Corey Crooms (Western Michigan)

Key Storylines: The players who most helped Minnesota win nine games in 2021 and 2022 are leaving as the second chapter of PJ Fleck’s tenure starts. The Gophers will break in new offensive linemen and new defensive playmakers.

Key Question: Can an offense that stunk after the opening month turn the corner? Fleck moved on from playcaller Kirk Ciarrocca — yet another OC change in Minneapolis. He got Tyler — with two 1,000-yard seasons — from WMU.

2023 Schedule Notes: Minnesota has a real road game – at North Carolina – and Ohio State and Michigan both on the schedule.

Trending: Down. A retooling year awaits for Fleck and the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

To me that article doesn't look authoritative. Of course it ends with Ohio State "Trending: Up. Ohio State will have a renewed focus in 2023" and Minnesota trending down. It misses things. Knowing what's going on for all teams is tough for a writer.

Safety Jack Henderson was not mentioned as a key addition. I think that was a nice pickup. Henderson had a Pro Football Focus grade of 84.8. The article didn't mention as a key departure All American center John Schmitz. Does this writer know the subject matter?

RB and defense should be about even. Offensive line continues the same issues.

Then the QB and passing game are wild cards that look trending up. Minnesota passes the keys to the car from a 3-star recruit Tanner Morgan to a 4-star recruit Athan Kaliakmanis. This probably is an upgrade but we know QB doesn't always go as planned.

The Gophers bolstered wide receiver. Elijah Spencer was on the Biletnikoff Award watch list.

Verdict: Trending even--slightly up--even with a wildcard up.

To me that article doesn't look authoritative. Of course it ends with Ohio State "Trending: Up. Ohio State will have a renewed focus in 2023" and Minnesota trending down. It misses things. Knowing what's going on for all teams is tough for a writer.

Safety Jack Henderson was not mentioned as a key addition. I think that was a nice pickup. Henderson had a Pro Football Focus grade of 84.8. The article didn't mention as a key departure All American center John Schmitz. Does this writer know the subject matter?

RB and defense should be about even. Offensive line continues the same issues.

Then the QB and passing game are wild cards that look trending up. Minnesota passes the keys to the car from a 3-star recruit Tanner Morgan to a 4-star recruit Athan Kaliakmanis. This probably is an upgrade but we know QB doesn't always go as planned.

The Gophers bolstered wide receiver. Elijah Spencer was on the Biletnikoff Award watch list.

Verdict: Trending even--slightly up--even with a wildcard up.
Article is written by a Nebraska guy but have seen some of his stuff online and he seems very down to Earth and provides good content.

Writeup seemed pretty fair for the most part. Big Ten West will be interesting next year because there are going to be new looks all over the place. Wisconsin looks like they want to switch to a pass heavy offense.....does Purdue stay a pass heavy offense or become something else....will we start throwing the ball more.....will Iowa ever figure out how to play offense?.....so many unknowns. :)

I think next year's team might be a little better than this past year's. Despite some notable personnel losses, our offense should be more diversified and, hopefully, more capable of explosive plays. The loses on D are manageable, esp. with the emergence of Cody L and Colman B (and Nubin staying another year).

The possible downtrend next season, for me, relates more to one clear objective factor (playing OSU and MI in crossover games as well as UNC in non-conf.) and one subjective factor: whether WI, NE and IA's attempts to make a leap forward via portal additions and, excepting IA, coaching changes, will bear fruit. Go Gophers!

Last edited:

PJ's ball control strategy with good defense might piss some people off, but it keeps his teams in games. Even with significant key injuries, his teams have hovered close to .500 or better in conference the past few years. Heck, the 2020 team was absolutely decimated by the pandemic and was an OT loss from being .500.

For next year conference play, I see the probability of beating Northwestern and Purdue at least as high as losing to Ohio State and Michigan.

To exceed .500 in conference, it will require taking 3 of 5 from:
Nebraska- home
Iowa - road
Mich. State - home
Illinois - home
Wisconsin - home

That's totally doable. Beat either OSU or Michigan and the Gophs have a nice ranking. The hard schedule is a great opportunity IMO.

I think this is overly bearish. It doesn't mention how the Gophers have proven they can do just fine without Mo Ibrahim or Tanner Morgan. It doesn't mention how the Gophers have turned over the entire OL since their 2019 team already and have kept up similar performance.

College teams lose players every year. Lots of them. The Gophers, all things considered, are losing an average-to-below-average amount. I'm far more concerned about a difficult 2023 schedule than I am the team being bad.

I think this is overly bearish. It doesn't mention how the Gophers have proven they can do just fine without Mo Ibrahim or Tanner Morgan. It doesn't mention how the Gophers have turned over the entire OL since their 2019 team already and have kept up similar performance.

College teams lose players every year. Lots of them. The Gophers, all things considered, are losing an average-to-below-average amount. I'm far more concerned about a difficult 2023 schedule than I am the team being bad.

Agreed. The "retooling" label is ignorant B.S. Yes, there is a harder schedule, but not insurmountable.

Unfortunately...or maybe actually fortunately...OH-IO State and Michigan are where we get to measure up against the top of the FB hierarchy, at least for the B1G.

Very hard to see a W for either next season but we certainly were competitive until Mo went down in the opener against the Buckeyes a couple of years ago. Unfortunately our debut in the covid year with Michigan was without the entire kicking squad due to the disease and/or protocols in place at the time. I recall Big Blue was basically intact and we were riddled with infection.

Anywho, we still need to beat Nebbie out of the gate, get Floyd back here again after 8 tries, plus keep The Axe, but I think I'll be watching our performance against the two giants of The East (if that still exists) for my bellweather assessment no matter what it ends up being called.

I like the part where Fleck "is moving on" from Kirk C.

Kirk C left for another job. The article makes it sound as if Kirk was fired.

also no mention of JMS - a 1st-team All-American Center.

PJ's ball control strategy with good defense might piss some people off, but it keeps his teams in games. Even with significant key injuries, his teams have hovered close to .500 or better in conference the past few years. Heck, the 2020 team was absolutely decimated by the pandemic and was an OT loss from being .500.

For next year conference play, I see the probability of beating Northwestern and Purdue at least as high as losing to Ohio State and Michigan.

To exceed .500 in conference, it will require taking 3 of 5 from:
Nebraska- home
Iowa - road
Mich. State - home
Illinois - home
Wisconsin - home

That's totally doable. Beat either OSU or Michigan and the Gophs have a nice ranking. The hard schedule is a great opportunity IMO.
But the team has to improve this offseason to take 3 of those 5. And more so than the other schools.

There's plenty to be optimistic about in terms of the 2023 roster, but unless there is a sizeable improvement in the offense, I think it's more likely they finish with worse record in 2023 than in 2022.

I think next year's team might be a little better than this past year's. Despite some notable personnel losses, our offense should be more diversified and, hopefully, more capable of explosive plays. The loses on D are manageable, esp. with the emergence of Cody L and Colman B (and Nubin staying another year).

The possible downtrend next season, for me, relates more to one clear objective factor (playing OSU and MI in crossover games as well as UNC in non-conf.) and one subjective factor: whether WI, NE and IA's attempts to make a leap forward via portal additions and, excepting IA, coaching changes, bear fruit. Go Gophers!
I'm also interested to see how Illinois and especially Purdue look. The latter losing Brohm, while the former full steam ahead with Bert in year 3.

I'm also interested to see how Illinois and especially Purdue look. The latter losing Brohm, while the former full steam ahead with Bert in year 3.
Aside from coaches, Purdue losses QB Aidan O’Connell and WR Charlie Jones, and Illinois loses QB DeVito and RB Chase Brown. All those guys are very talented and experienced, and they carried their respective offenses. Both Illinois and Purdue have a lot of rebuilding to do at the offensive skill player level. Might take a step back on offense.

I will be shocked if Purdue doesn't take a step back some next year. Just think there are losing too much talent along with the coaching change to not take a bit of hit in year one under the new guy.

Illinois is a tougher one to predict. They lose some key pieces, especially on offense but Bielema is a good coach and should be able to keep them around the same level they were at last year. Not sure they can take a step up but don't think they will be bad either.

on the whole "taking a step back" idea.

that may have been true once, but in today's world with the transfer portal and NIL, a team can reload very quickly without having to take a step back.

hey, I'm a Gopher fan. I would be happy if the Gophers got better every year and the other teams all got worse. But in this new world of college football, you have to go into the off-season thinking that the other teams are going to get better, so you need to get better, too.

But the team has to improve this offseason to take 3 of those 5. And more so than the other schools.

There's plenty to be optimistic about in terms of the 2023 roster, but unless there is a sizeable improvement in the offense, I think it's more likely they finish with worse record in 2023 than in 2022.
A worse record would be going backwards. At some point you need to at least match the mediocre record and work to be better the next year. Michigan may not be as good as we think, OSU will be but other than that, NC will be a good matchup. I expect a better than this year record at this point for Fleck.

Top Bottom