Big Ten Rep After Today's Bowls

upnorthkid

Reaction score
Today was definitely a day of ups and downs in the bowls for the B1G.

The Penn State beatdown was a definite negative but had to be sort of expected going into that one.

I felt that Nebraska was the better team for much of the game but basically beat themselves with turnovers, miscues, and simple boneheaded plays such as the Hail Mary.

Michigan State's comeback win was the obvious big highlight of the day. A lot of grit shown today and the Dawgs kicker choking plus some questionable play calling at the end of the first overtime definitely doesn't hurt.

I don't really know what to say about OSU's performance. I really expected them to win but the random special teams plays killed them. Of course it is a facet of the game and you have to execute.

Then the Wisky game I don't even know what to say about it. You could take it two ways. One you could say a B1G team showed it could hang with a top tier speed freak team and score with them so the B1G is on a par or you could easily say they just used their slow lumbering size to hang around and plod down the field to keep the score close. I honestly thought they were going to win tonight and thought some of the calls went against them but its hard to say. Irregardless they choked away several great opportunities and you can't do that and win.

With that summary, even though the win loss column looks baaaaaaaaad today, I feel like the B1G gained some respect in the eyes of the nation today. MSU beat a solid UGA team in comeback fashion and a bad OSU team hung with a pretty bad Fla team and lost via special teams. Neb definitely wasn't outclassed but seemed to more defeat themselves. Wisky also looked highly competitive against a team many people said would just run away from them all game and destroy them. The only bad one is PSU and that one might really hurt in the nation's eyes. 532 yards passing is an embarrassment to the entire conference.

I was just wondering what you guys thought of the games and if they helped, hurt, or kept the status quo on the Big Ten's stock.

With that summary, even though the win loss column looks baaaaaaaaad today, I feel like the B1G gained some respect in the eyes of the nation today.
I think this is EXTREMELY unlikely.

None, whatsoever. The B1G took another BIG perception hit today, especially if you listen to the commentators. A Michigan win would help a bit, but when you go 1-9 on New Years day over the last 2 years, it's hard to say the B1G gained respect with anyone.

Am disappointed overall, but really the B1G bowl games that matter every year are:

1. Rose (L)
2. Other BCS (TBD)
3. Capital One (L)
4. Outback (W)

The B1G is 1-2 so far, with 1 of the 2 losses (Wisconsin to Oregon) certainly nothing to be embarrassed about (other than the tird personality of the losing team's head coach). I fully expect Michigan to whip Va Tech and make it 2-2. Not great, but nowhere near as bad as being portrayed.

And no, Florida vs. Ohio State in the 6-6 Gator Bowl doesn't matter. 2 big-name programs with mediocre 2011 teams. Who gives a flip?

That said, B1G does need to start winning the Rose Bowl more than once every decade. That would certainly help.

Am disappointed overall, but really the B1G bowl games that matter every year are:

1. Rose (L)
2. Other BCS (TBD)
3. Capital One (L)
4. Outback (W)

The B1G is 1-2 so far, with 1 of the 2 losses (Wisconsin to Oregon) certainly nothing to be embarrassed about (other than the tird personality of the losing team's head coach). I fully expect Michigan to whip Va Tech and make it 2-2. Not great, but nowhere near as bad a being portrayed.

And no, Florida vs. Ohio State in the 6-6 Gator Bowl doesn't matter. 2 big-name programs with mediocre 2011 teams. Who gives a flip?

That said, B1G does need to start winning the Rose Bowl more than once every decade. That would certainly help.
Agree SS, but common sense doesn't factor into the spin from ESPN and pretty much every other outlet.

The Big Ten had a horrible day. Penn State's strength was supposed to be their defense, but they got shredded. Our best team gave up 621 yards to Oregon. Yeah Wisconsin had a great offense, but when your best team has a defense as poor as theirs, it doesn't say much for your conference. Then we lost 2 of 3 to the SEC. The only matchup we won was slanted in our favor (our #2 vs. their #3) yet it took several OTs and 2 missed FGs to get there.

GoAUpher said:
Agree SS, but common sense doesn't factor into the spin from ESPN and pretty much every other outlet.

Agree. The only way to beat the spin is to win the BCS title. Three years ago the B10 beat four of the top 16 teams and won two BCS games yet received little pub for it because they finished 4-3 in bowls and only one of the wins was against the SEC (others were Oregon, Ga. Tech and Miami).

Beating VTech is good, even though I hate Michigan (among several), so this year was better than last year. I don't think we gained a lot, but we did not go backward much either.

Final B1G Tally

All Bowls: 4-6
BCS Bowls: 1-1
Bowls That Matter: 2-2 (add Capital One & Outback)

At least we're not the ACC.

Not a horrible showing by the conference. I am sure the bowl prep for Penn State was a mess with everything else going on around there so that may have been a factor in their beatdown. Going into things I was hoping the conference would go at least .500 and it came very close to pulling that of. Nationally people will look at the total record and downgrade the conference but there were a lot of unfavorable matchups in there.

Can't wait till the Gophers are once again involved in bowl season. Stinks being one of only two teams in the conference sitting at home for the holidays.

Beating VTech is good, even though I hate Michigan (among several), so this year was better than last year. I don't think we gained a lot, but we did not go backward much either.

I have to agree with this writer's sentiment. Granted, his perceptions may be a little biased, but I can't blame anyone for hatin' meechigan. Denard looked awful throwing the ball, and the guy in the replay booth probably has a maize and blue rec room in his basement. Both of those overturned calls were HOKEY. LOL at the crack in this article about SCum's kicker looking like Nick Nolte in N. Dallas 40.

Agree. The only way to beat the spin is to win the BCS title. Three years ago the B10 beat four of the top 16 teams and won two BCS games yet received little pub for it because they finished 4-3 in bowls and only one of the wins was against the SEC (others were Oregon, Ga. Tech and Miami).

The spin can't be beaten. ESPN / SEC Network pundits would just say "Until the B1G wins the BCS consistently, then_____{insert whatever you want to shed the SEC in a positive light here}_____"

If all 12 B1G teams were to make a bowl and go 12-0, the B1G reputation would STILL go down.

Does anyone actually think the whole SCum thing is funny? I just don't see the humor or wit in it. I enjoy things that are funny and/or clever, but that is neither.

Exactly. 4-6 is not stellar, I'll admit. But it could be a lot worse and the media has proven that when it was a lot better it still didn't matter. Last year the SEC went 5-5. Still regarded to be BY FAR the best conference in college football. Really?

As SS said, 1-1 in BCS bowls, 2-2 in those that matter, and 1-2 vs. the SEC. I'd hardly call that "not competitive"

B10 fact might surprise you: B10 only lost 2 of last 6 BCS bowls. Those two both by Wisc in Rose, by grand total of 9 pts.

Top Bottom