Big Ten rankings in the oddsmakers' poll

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
The Vegas Oddsmakers' poll is the only poll I've ever put any stock into. Let's face it, it's the only poll compiled by people who actually know something about most of the teams.

For the Big Ten:

Ohio State - #7
Penn State - #11
Iowa - #19
Michigan State - #32
Wisconsin - #36

I completely agree with the top 3 and about where they rank. You could put Wisconsin a little higher than #36 but their schedule probably doesn't exactly warrant a much higher ranking. Not sure about Michigan State at #32 either, with losses at Notre Dame and at HOME to Western Michigan. No surprise that no other BT teams are in the top 40, considering how crappy the conference is this year.

On a national level, it looks like they're buying into TCU (#4) but not completely Boise State and Cincinnati (#9 and #10, respectively).

Here's the link: http://vegassportsconnect.com/poll/cfb/2009/week11.html

While I agree with you on Michigan State the home loss you refer to was Central (not Western) Michigan, somewhat more respectable a suppose but still not good.

The NCAA Would Beg To Differ......

You could put Wisconsin a little higher than #36 but their schedule probably doesn't exactly warrant a much higher ranking

From USA Today:

Oh, wait, add that to the list of Bielema criticisms: That the Badgers play paltry non-conference schedules that, in addition to failing to entertain the masses, fail to prepare the Badgers for the rigors of Big Ten play. Wisconsin's current strength of schedule ranks 14th out of 120 Football Bowl Subdivision teams.

The Vegas Oddsmakers' poll is the only poll I've ever put any stock into. Let's face it, it's the only poll compiled by people who actually know something about most of the teams.

So how does a two loss Penn State with a weaker SOS and a loss to Iowa rank ahead of Iowa?
Looks just as subjective as the other polls unless there is an Oddsmaker's factor I'm not aware of.

So how does a two loss Penn State with a weaker SOS and a loss to Iowa rank ahead of Iowa?
Looks just as subjective as the other polls unless there is an Oddsmaker's factor I'm not aware of.

I would suspect that because this is an oddsmaker's poll, they figure in injuries and the like. If Iowa played PSU this weekend on a neutral field, I would expect PSU to be favored by at least a field goal.

Funny as it may seem, I would put Wisconsin up much higher than that. My opinion is that Wisconsin is playing at it's best right now and could beat any team in the B10. As far as the Vegas line goes, they are not looking the overall schedule but at a certain point in time, right now - which teams are the best teams right now because they have to set the odds. Is that correct? Regardless, with that in mind and with all of the unknowns on the Iowa squad, I guess I am a little surprised by Iowa's #19 ranking.

Unrelated to Iowa, Wisconsin, & any team specifically in almost every facet of the argument but showing the "point in time" mentality of a poll like this:
IF the Celtics were 0-6 because both Garnett and Pierce were injured
THEN those two returned, were not showing signs of their injuries
THEN they won the next two games against good competition
THEN I could see them ranked (at 2-6) very highly and ahead of some other teams with much better records.

I look forward to the bowl season. Minnesota should win tomorrow, get bowl eligible, and have a great shot at winning their bowl game. I am almost sure that Wisconsin will win their bowl game. Of course, I have always maintained that a lot depends on whether the B10 gets 2 BCS bowl bids. If the conference can get one win out of the BCS game and the Rose Bowl, I predict that the B10's overall record in the bowl season will be quite good.

I would suspect that because this is an oddsmaker's poll, they figure in injuries and the like. If Iowa played PSU this weekend on a neutral field, I would expect PSU to be favored by at least a field goal.

That's all true. But a poll isn't about the next game, its about a team's body of work for the season. This Oddsmaker's Poll still looks pretty subjective, just my (subjective) opinion.

Top Bottom