Big Ten quarterback shuffle: Transfers expected to start for 14 of 18 conference teams

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

College football is a sport steeped in tradition, from Michigan vs. Ohio State, to the Iron Bowl, to the Army-Navy game and to the beautiful view of the San Gabriel Mountains as the sun sets at the Rose Bowl.

Another tradition in college football was that coaches and administrators had control over player movement, with the ability to deny transfers up until October of 2018, when the transfer portal was launched.

It's been a game-changer since, and nowhere was that clearer than at the Big Ten football media days last week. Of the Big Ten's 18 teams after the conference's West Coast expansion, 14 teams are expected to begin the season with a starting quarterback who has transferred at least once. Only four squads are expected to a have a home-grown starter.

"The biggest takeaway is, like always, you have to embrace change," said Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, the dean of college football coaches who's starting his 26th season in Iowa City. "It is inevitable. It's part of what we do, and certainly it's part of college football right now."

Only Michigan (junior Alex Orji), Nebraska (freshman Dylan Raiola), Penn State (junior Drew Allar) and USC (junior Miller Moss) have presumptive starters from within the program.

Go Gophers!!

The QB carousel in college football has been truly fascinating. We had managed to stay off of it up until this year but finally got sucked in as well.

Really amazing that 14 of 18 have transfer QBs and one of the other 4 is turning to a true freshman. Crazy to see that much movement at the most important position on the field.

I think it is somewhat related the portal.

Also COVID wiped out a lot of time for evaluations and really mixed things up too as far as experience and so on.

Man this is stupid. I used to love to buy the Athlon magazine and loved reading about new comers but loved to see the returning units and know and have seen the guys play.

A new world I guess. I hope the constant roster shuffling grabs a new group of fans that can replace the people that thinks this is stupid.

What does this say about recruitment and development of QB's? Offering six foot 180 pound QB's from Chicago, Yah, that is going to turn out. They recruited AK for 3 years and developed him for 2 additional years.

Top Bottom