Big Ten POY

Who's your pick for Big 10 Player of the Year?

• Montee Ball - Wisconsin

Votes: 43 54.4%
  • Russell Wilson - Wisconsin

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Denard Robinson - Michigan

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Kirk Cousins - Michigan St

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Other?

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkAz

Reaction score
Who is your pick?

I picked Wilson BTW, I thought that he was the missing piece for that offense.

To me, it's Ball and not even close. I think the player most valuable to his team was Denard Robinson, but that's a different kettle of fish.

To me, it's Ball and not even close. I think the player most valuable to his team was Denard Robinson, but that's a different kettle of fish.

That's the rub...Ball put up the gaudiest numbers, but he probably wasn't the second most valuable player on that WI team. They became an entirely different team because of Wilson, they have at least one other back on the roster who could have probably carried the load for that team and brought them to the same record, and it's been painfully obvious the last couple weeks that they've been feeding him the ball in goal line situations to pump up the TD stats and make a Heisman case. But all that said, he's a great player and having one of the best statistical season the B1G has seen in a couple years.

That's the rub...Ball put up the gaudiest numbers, but he probably wasn't the second most valuable player on that WI team. They became an entirely different team because of Wilson, they have at least one other back on the roster who could have probably carried the load for that team and brought them to the same record, and it's been painfully obvious the last couple weeks that they've been feeding him the ball in goal line situations to pump up the TD stats and make a Heisman case. But all that said, he's a great player and having one of the best statistical season the B1G has seen in a couple years.
I agree, if Ball went down, they'd still be fine with James White getting the carries. If Wilson went down they'd be in trouble. I'm glad he's a one and done at Wisconsin.

Wilson gave them the leadership and a dual threat and Senior play.

Without wilson 10-2 Wisconsin is probably 9-3 at best. I'd guess 8-4.

Without ball 10-2 Wisconsin is probably 10-2. 9-3 at worst.

Interesting point...and I completely agree that Wilson has made them a much better team...but, the way their season has played out I think you could easily argue that they haven't won a single game (to this point) that they wouldn't have won without him. Every team they have beaten has been thoroughly dominated by their o-line/running game...the two tough road games they've had they've still lost.

White is not the back Ball is, but I agree Wilson gave them another level. Curious to how they would be 8-4 without Wilson. IMO, he blew the MSU game with the late INT and did not play great against OSU. I dont see them losing any of there other games with a different QB, they just we not in a lot of close games.

I think the Wisconsin Defense was average, and is the biggest reason they did not go 12-0.

I voted for Ball because I think he has had the best season. But I can understand someone picking Wilson. The difference between Wilson and his backup is greater than the difference between Ball and his backup.

White is not the back Ball is, but I agree Wilson gave them another level. Curious to how they would be 8-4 without Wilson. IMO, he blew the MSU game with the late INT and did not play great against OSU. I dont see them losing any of there other games with a different QB, they just we not in a lot of close games.

I think the Wisconsin Defense was average, and is the biggest reason they did not go 12-0.

The Illinois game was close. Even though Wilson didn't have a great game, a different QB might have thrown an interception that could have totally changed the game. Even in the Nebraska game, it was close until late in the 2nd quarter. Instead of connecting on two long TDs late in the first half, an average QB might have thrown a pick-6 or even just miss the open receiver. A few plays can totally change the momentum of a game.

...the difference between Wilson and whoever else would have been there isn't seen in the throws and/or mistakes Wilson made, or in the stats hes put up. It's in the fact that this wi team would regularly come out in 4-and-5-wide formations on non-passing downs, that the offense had an entirely different aspect that opponents need to gameplan for every week, that even on passing downs or sets with no RB in the backfield the defense had to watch for the run, etc. Defending an offense with that sort of flexibility is a nightmare, and opens things up in a big way for whatever offensive weapons a team decides to lean on.

What about DPOY? Merciless?

Incidentally, I'd vote for Ball for offense.

Wilson. The Badgers are a completely different team without his dual-threat capabilities. Without him, I'm not sure the Badgers are in the title game. With him, their offense is frighteningly scary. All that said. ...

Sparty On.

Wilson. The Badgers are a completely different team without his dual-threat capabilities. Without him, I'm not sure the Badgers are in the title game. With him, their offense is frighteningly scary. All that said. ...

Sparty On.

That's why I think he's the most valuable player. But that doesn't always mean he is the best player. Ball has put up the better numbers in my opinion, but Wilson is more valuable. Just depends on how you look at the award.

We can debate Ball v. Wilson in terms of value, but that Wisconsin team is probably 9-3 without one or the other. Michigan is probably a .500 team without Robinson, so if we want to go down that road, he has to be in the conversation.

It's not MVP, its POY. Very different. Ball was the only unanimous choice for All-Big Ten so he's my bet to win POY

We can debate Ball v. Wilson in terms of value, but that Wisconsin team is probably 9-3 without one or the other. Michigan is probably a .500 team without Robinson, so if we want to go down that road, he has to be in the conversation.

I don't know about that. They probably lose to Notre Dame and Ohio St., but they easily beat Nebraska and he didn't play that well. He also didn't play well in their two losses.

I personally think Robinson's season is way overrated. His passing numbers are marginal at best. He has good rushing numbers, but nothing like last season. Michigan has a RB (Toussaint) with very similar numbers to his this year.

Denard Robinson is a dynamic athlete and a threat every time he has the ball, but he's not a very good QB. The writers voting Robinson ahead of Cousins for 2nd-team QB is a joke. How did Robinson perform against Michigan State, the team with the best conference record during the regular season? And did Robinson have to perform in a big game (like Cousins did) vs. Wisconsin?

Wilson deserves 1st team QB, but Cousins is the clear #2. I'll trust the coaches vote over the media vote any day of the week in any sport.

First off, it's a completely different team with Wilson, he was fantastic this season. You can't simply impute the same results - the difference between Wilson and their other QB. That's not the way the game is played. A huge part of the reason why they were up by so much in every game was because of the play of Wilson.

Second, he was awesome against tOSU, one of his best games of the year.

First off, it's a completely different team with Wilson, he was fantastic this season. You can't simply impute the same results - the difference between Wilson and their other QB. That's not the way the game is played. A huge part of the reason why they were up by so much in every game was because of the play of Wilson.

Second, he was awesome against tOSU, one of his best games of the year.
You still aren't thinking of how this ISN'T an MVP award. Is Wilson valuable to the Badgers? Yes. Is he their best player? In my opinion, no. There was at least one QB in the B1G that both a coach and a writer thought was better than Wilson too.

You still aren't thinking of how this ISN'T an MVP award. Is Wilson valuable to the Badgers? Yes. Is he their best player? In my opinion, no. There was at least one QB in the B1G that both a coach and a writer thought was better than Wilson too.

They're idiots

IMO, he blew the MSU game with the late INT and did not play great against OSU.
How so? MSU proceded to gain -1 yards and go 3 and out. The 2:26 they burned off the clock did not hurt WI as they were still able to drive 80+ yards for the tying score.

My response was in response to GopherBadger guys comments arguing that the Badgers record wouldn't have been different if Wilson wasn't there.

As for the original debate, it's a close call but I think the BEST player in the Big 10 was Wilson. The criteria for "best" and "most valuable" are pretty identical to me. Wilson put up gaudy numbers this season, was amazing when the games were on the line and I believe that his ability would have been much more difficult to replace. I understand that is sort of an argument for Most Valuable, but for me...the best players are more valuable. Now, I can see your point of view that Ball put up better stats, I just disagree that he was the better player this year.

As far as how some writers voted, I think they are way off. I think you can make a better argument that Ball was better than Wilson than you ever could for Robinson outperforming Wilson. That argument (Robinson vs. Wilson) isn't even close, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom