1. MSU
2. Illinois
3. Purdue
4. OSU
5. Michigan
6. Minnesota
7. Wisconsin
8. PSU

Any thoughts? Wisconsin's resume is only better than ours in the area of SOS. As a Gopher fan I am feeling pretty good. If I were a PSU fan I would be reaching for a cocktail....

I think that's a good order, I don't understand how Wisky is considered safe by a lot of these sites

Good order, plus prospective seeding

It's always hard to predict exact Tournament seeding, but you have a good order I think for the 'bottom 4' of the big 10 qualifiers - Michigan first, then us, then the guys to our east, and finally Penn State. I think the seeding will translate out this way:

MICHIGAN a 9
MINNESOTA a 10
Bucky at 11, safer than maybe a lot of us think....
and Penn State sweating big time, sitting at 11-12, cheering madly for the Missouri Tigers and really really hating Duquesne.

As SS has eloquently put it all year, their strength of schedule was just brutal, and the selection committee has not historically been kind to teams like that. Exhibit #1 being us in 1993....

I really don't understand how Wisconsin is getting a pass this year. Is it their recent tradition? They have been far from impressive...if they're not a bubble team I don't know who is. MN should be taking precedence over them right now - why is MN on the bubble according to most commentators, but WI is not?

IMHO -> 2 reasons

1) Bo Ryan. I know they don't necessarily take into account who a team's coach is, but the annoying Mr. Ryan does have quite a nice resume' / track record

the big one:

2) the Badgers went 7-2 down the stretch

Wisconsin's SOS is their saving grace right now, its impressive. Sadly, for them, so I guess happily, for us, they didn't really beat anyone.

I agree with the original poster's order. I think the Big Ten gets 7 and Penn St stays home for the NIT. Obviously that is subject to change depending on the games to be played. Their computer profile is very weak in comparison to other bubble teams.

Wisconsin's SOS is their saving grace right now, its impressive. Sadly, for them, so I guess happily, for us, they didn't really beat anyone.

I agree with the original poster's order. I think the Big Ten gets 7 and Penn St stays home for the NIT. Obviously that is subject to change depending on the games to be played. Their computer profile is very weak in comparison to other bubble teams.

Unfortunately for PSU, when compared to their two closest contemporaries MN and WI, they got swept by WI and got blown out by MN once, then snuck out a close one in the 2nd matchup. By head-to-head, and by computer, they look worse than MN or WI. That said, if the committee had heart, they'd put in PSU - they lost in double-OT to Iowa to finish the BT season; had they won that they were a lock. Also, they lose 2 of their top 3 players and return pretty much nobody solid behind Battle. Their future is bleak in terms of getting close to the tourney again anytime soon. I'm not sure the committee worries about having a heart though. The bball tourney committee is usually about taking who is best. We'll see if the committee has a heart or not if PSU happens to jump MN or WI. This should all be interesting.

So if we scheduled NC, Duke, MSU, Memphis, Pitt, UConn, Louisville, and North Dakota State in revolving order for the whole season, but never won any of those games, we'd be a lock for the tourney?

Unfortunately for PSU, when compared to their two closest contemporaries MN and WI, they got swept by WI and got blown out by MN once, then snuck out a close one in the 2nd matchup. By head-to-head, and by computer, they look worse than MN or WI. That said, if the committee had heart, they'd put in PSU - they lost in double-OT to Iowa to finish the BT season; had they won that they were a lock. Also, they lose 2 of their top 3 players and return pretty much nobody solid behind Battle. Their future is bleak in terms of getting close to the tourney again anytime soon. I'm not sure the committee worries about having a heart though. The bball tourney committee is usually about taking who is best. We'll see if the committee has a heart or not if PSU happens to jump MN or WI. This should all be interesting.

That wont be a factor at all. I dont really feel bad for Penn St at all, they had to beat Iowa to get the 2 seed in the BTT and they couldn't do it. Their non-conference schedule was beyond a joke and they were fortunate to beat Illinois the second time on a buzzer beater.

The committee doesn't have a heart, so don't worry about that.

Just for my own jollies, I hope we get 7 in and Penn State is ahead of Wisky. That would make for one satisfying drink on Sunday night.

So if we scheduled NC, Duke, MSU, Memphis, Pitt, UConn, Louisville, and North Dakota State in revolving order for the whole season, but never won any of those games, we'd be a lock for the tourney?

I am not saying Wisconsin is a lock by any means, but they have a good strength of schedule..but they lost to Marquette, Texas and UConn. Their best non-conference win was what? Virginia Tech?

I do think they will get in however...as much as I want them in the NIT.

I am not saying Wisconsin is a lock by any means, but they have a good strength of schedule..but they lost to Marquette, Texas and UConn. Their best non-conference win was what? Virginia Tech?

I do think they will get in however...as much as I want them in the NIT.

Curiously, how many losses did Wisc. have to non-top-25 teams? How many did the Gophers have (5: they lost to MSU thrice, Purdue once, and Illinois once).

Curiously, how many losses did Wisc. have to non-top-25 teams? How many did the Gophers have (5: they lost to MSU thrice, Purdue once, and Illinois once).

By rpi, the gophers have 6 (Purdue is in the 30-32 range), Wisc has 9.

Doug G and Dickie V probably agree

Doug Gottlieb agrees with that order, last night he said the 6, 7, 8 in the big ten were MN, WI, PSU respectively. Also, today Dickie V basically agreed with that order. He essentially said PSU is out (with all the bubble busters around the country) and Minnesota should be feeling good with their win over Louisville. So from that I feel like he would also go with MN, WI, PSU in that order.

The list looks rigt to me. I would love to see PSU in front of WI, but that won't happen.

Top Bottom