Big Ten Network Tour - Minnesota

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
Here's the video Big Ten Network posted with interviews during their Minnesota stop (Unfortunately some Wisconsin stuff in there too)

Dave Revsine input on Twitter

Have always been impressed with how Fleck runs pratices.

I'm not asking this to be a wet blanket, I'm genuinely curious - do they usually pump up every team they go see, or are they fairly objective in their analysis? Everything they are saying sounds great, I'm just curious if they ever go to practice and say "not much talent out there, could be a rough year for Northwestern".

I'm not asking this to be a wet blanket, I'm genuinely curious - do they usually pump up every team they go see, or are they fairly objective in their analysis? Everything they are saying sounds great, I'm just curious if they ever go to practice and say "not much talent out there, could be a rough year for Northwestern".
I think they are usually pretty positive for all teams.

I'd say "positive and objective".

I think you can be both. Talking up some players and good stories ... isn't wrong even if you think the team will finish last.

They're not talking up every team as a B1G champion or anything.

I think they are usually pretty positive for all teams.
I'd say "positive and objective".

I think you can be both. Talking up some players and good stories ... isn't wrong even if you think the team will finish last.

They're not talking up every team as a B1G champion or anything.
Agree that they are usually looking for the positive, but don't over-hype every team. The real tell that your team isn't very good is if DiNardo uses the phrase "match up opponents" liberally throughout their discussion.

Agree that they are usually looking for the positive, but don't over-hype every team. The real tell that your team isn't very good is if DiNardo uses the phrase "match up opponents" liberally throughout their discussion.
I can't remember if it was during the Kill years or possibly early PJ years they commented that the talent was lacking here compared to some of our peers. They ended up being right and we struggled that season. So they tend to be somewhat objective, which makes me excited they were so positive yesterday.

Basically saying the same thing others have said. They generally are positive about everyone but they do have sort of a "code" that allows viewers to read between the lines (2nd Degree Gopher's example of DiNardo expressing the importance of winning "match up" games or personnel battles is a perfect example). Last night's coverage also included comments along the lines of "You can't run a practice this good and not be a contender" (not an exact quote, but another code reveal for where they think the Gophers are). Last night's commentary was positive from top to bottom. They were impressed.

I'm very excited, but in looking at the schedule again and thinking about all the variables, I do think there is a floor of 7-5 or 8-4 with this team. I do think the end record will be better than that floor but it is so hard to predict without knowing things like how Michigan State will follow up their special season, is Wisconsin finally actually dropping off this time, will Iowa head right back to that 9-3 territory and be a big problem, and even knowing at some point all the homer Nebraska chest beating will have to be true some year. Even blind squirrels find nuts. Under Frost I don't THINK it will happen in any given year but there is at least the possibility it will happen some day. What if it is this year?

The good news is you can only control yourself and by all accounts, if this team can stay relatively injury-free, it is going to be a very good Gopher squad with potential to match or even exceed 2019.

Basically saying the same thing others have said. They generally are positive about everyone but they do have sort of a "code" that allows viewers to read between the lines (2nd Degree Gopher's example of DiNardo expressing the importance of winning "match up" games or personnel battles is a perfect example). Last night's coverage also included comments along the lines of "You can't run a practice this good and not be a contender" (not an exact quote, but another code reveal for where they think the Gophers are). Last night's commentary was positive from top to bottom. They were impressed.

I'm very excited, but in looking at the schedule again and thinking about all the variables, I do think there is a floor of 7-5 or 8-4 with this team. I do think the end record will be better than that floor but it is so hard to predict without knowing things like how Michigan State will follow up their special season, is Wisconsin finally actually dropping off this time, will Iowa head right back to that 9-3 territory and be a big problem, and even knowing at some point all the homer Nebraska chest beating will have to be true some year. Even blind squirrels find nuts. Under Frost I don't THINK it will happen in any given year but there is at least the possibility it will happen some day. What if it is this year?

The good news is you can only control yourself and by all accounts, if this team can stay relatively injury-free, it is going to be a very good Gopher squad with potential to match or even exceed 2019.
I have the same thought when looking at the schedule. It was a great season last year for the Spartans, but was it a flash in the pan or a sign of things to come under Mel Tucker? Not sure how it will play out.

Regardless, it's an opportunity for a big win. Minnesota has beat every team in the Big Ten other than Ohio State and Michigan State since 2009. It would be great to break that streak at least with the Spartans and be 4-0, too.

Another Dinardo tell is comments about “the roster” which can be either positive, lukewarm, or slightly negative/rebuilding. In years past he’s been slightly negative but this year and last has been positive.

The hit rate of the tour crew is far from 100% as I recall the Bob Diaco days at Nebraska, lol. Plenty of glowing talk. Some day, maybe. Some of the BTN talking head coverage IMO, maybe a majority of it is fan service for the fan bases that pay the bills. Build interest and excitement. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. We’re all stoked for the new season. The Gophers have to prove it on the field moreso than the others though, as the AP and coaches polls reflect.

Looking back to August 2019 what did the guys say about the West? Overall they were mostly on target - WI, IA, MN turned out to be good. Predicted a division dogfight and that was correct. They were way, way off on Nebraska and Northwestern.

I'm happy that the Gophs have moved beyond the "match up opponents" discussion. The match up opponent issue was always the hot topic when bowl eligibility was the season goal.

They certainly try to find some silver linings for every stop on the tour, but they dont blow smoke where it’s not warranted. They have to balance their relationship with each program with the truth. I think their praise of practice and glowing reviews are genuine. I liked it better when they used to spend a good hour of broadcast for each team, just seems a little lacking these days.

Top Bottom