Big Ten football training camp preview, featuring more coachspeak that you can stand - Chicago Sun-Times

Iceland12

Reaction score
Coachspeak with Kirk Ferentz:“We’re excited to get back on the field with our players and see what August brings, and we’ll know a little bit more about our team, certainly, at the end of the month.”

Translation:“Look, nothing ever changes here, and you know it.”

Minnesota (9-4, 6-3)

Running back Mo Ibrahim was destroying Ohio State in the opener last season before tearing an Achilles tendon in the third quarter. He’s back, and the Gophers should be Wisconsin-like in their ability to push defenses around in the running game. It won’t matter if they don’t rebuild their defensive front, which was dynamite in 2021.

Coachspeak with P.J. Fleck:“If we have to throw for 350, we need to be able to throw for 350. If we have to run for 350 to win, then we have to find a way to run for 350.”

Translation:“We have to run for 350.”

Nebraska (3-9, 1-8)

No coach in college football is on a hotter seat than Scott Frost, who has delivered four losing seasons in four years at his alma mater. The Huskers were in every game last season, a nice way of saying they failed to win hardly any of them. Four of the team’s top five tacklers are back, a pretty good place to start.

Coachspeak with Frost:“We had a good enough team last year to do better than we did. That falls on me. It falls on the whole coaching staff. It falls on the whole team.”

Translation:“Did I mention it doesn’t just fall on me?”

Top Bottom