Big Ten Football: Three Story Lines To Watch in 2017 (The Tornado That Is P.J. Fleck)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Off Tackle Empire:

The Tornado That Is P.J. Fleck

Most of you probably didn’t know who Fleck was until later in the season last year, and probably didn’t really care until the mighty Western Michigan Broncos battled the Wisconsin Badgers in the Cotton Bowl.

As I was covering MAC football for Hustle Belt, I was all too familiar with his persona. And what a persona it is. Some of you might feel like he is trying too hard because the national media is paying attention, and eventually he will calm down. Don’t hold your breath.

As a matter of fact, I expect him to ratchet it up as we get closer to the season. The guy is constant energy and emotion, that he then uses to try and motivate his players. It works. There is a reason so many recruits and players followed him to Minnesota, and it has less to do with playing in the Big Ten than playing for the man.

If you follow Big Ten football, which you likely do if you are reading this, then I can almost guarantee you will have an opinion of P.J. Fleck by the end of the season, good or bad.

The story that is most telling of his personality came in a regular season ending game against the Toledo Rockets. If the Broncos win, they are in the MAC championship, and with a win there, would likely be in the Cotton Bowl. In MAC land, that’s the equivalent of winning a national title. As the teams are changing sides of the field after the end of the quarter, he full on sprinted to the other side, racing the best player on the field, Corey Davis. I have never seen anything like it in 30 years of watching college football.

While he turned my stomach at first, I have grown to be a P.J. Fleck fan. The best way I can describe him to those that don’t know his personality, he is like an extremely stimulated version of Lou Holtz. Some will say that’s a good thing. Some will hate it. Me, I like passion. And bat crap nuts. He is both. I will be watching to see how the Minnesota Golden Gophers and the fighting Flecks fair this season.

http://www.offtackleempire.com/2017...es-to-watch-in-2017-fleck-harbaugh-fitzgerald

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom