Big Ten football: Ranking the conference's 11 protected rivalries (4. Minnesota-Iowa; 2. Minnesota–Wisconsin)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the Detroit Free Press:

4. Minnesota-Iowa​

The trophy: Floyd of Rosedale.

The series: 115 games, dating back to 1891; Minnesota leads, 62-52-2.

The buzz: “Floyd” is more than a trophy — he’s a cautionary tale for our times, as the brass pig memorializes the stakes of the 1935 bet between the states’ governors, a pig that died eight months later because it wasn’t vaccinated (against cholera, but still).

2. Minnesota–Wisconsin​

The trophy: Paul Bunyan’s Axe.

The series: 130 games, dating back to 1892; Wisconsin leads, 62-60-8.

The buzz: Did this rivalry get a push past U-M and MSU’s Small Paul solely for the size of the humongous axe the winning team gets to wield? Maybe. In fact, let’s expand this trophy series; we need the Badgers and Gophers playing in hockey for Paul Bunyan’s Skates, the hoops teams playing for Paul Bunyan’s Shorts. Heck, even the academic decathlon teams playing for Paul Bunyan’s Pencil. You get the idea.

Go Gophers!!

If I’m not mistaken, the Gophers-skunks series now stands at 62-62-8.
I was just going to post the same. I guess their internet search is on the fritz again.

Is Michigan - Michigan State really #3, over Minnesota Iowa?

Can anyone deny that the trophy for this game is just .... creepy AF??

2482805e-e139-4bc7-9594-4ddbefb59fda-102922_SPORTS_36.JPG

Is Michigan - Michigan State really #3, over Minnesota Iowa?

Can anyone deny that the trophy for this game is just .... creepy AF??

2482805e-e139-4bc7-9594-4ddbefb59fda-102922_SPORTS_36.JPG
There may be more hatred between these two particularly for Sparty against the Wolverines than between MN and wi. Last year's game showed the level of hatred!

Top Bottom