Big Ten football power rankings after spring portal closes (16. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Sam:

16. Minnesota Golden Gophers​

The Golden Gophers shocked some teams by bringing in commitments from Virginia Tech, Clemson, and Georgia during the April portal.

Tyler Williams, a four-star wide receiver from the Bulldogs, and Adam Kissayi, a three-star edge from the Tigers, were two of the bigger pick-ups for Minnesota from the portal.

However, the Gophers lost seven players to the portal and still have to face some of the top teams in the nation while playing in the Big Ten which is why they fall to No. 16 on this list.

Go Gophers!!

I think the combination of us having played in the west and the additions of some solid teams from the old PAC have prognosticators doubting us. No place I'd rather be than at the bottom, nowhere to go but up!

I dunno, I felt like Minnesota's portal gains far outweighed the losses. I get the impression little research was done on this article; but, then again, Autzenzoo.
I tend to agree, but it's not like most of us have researched all 17 other B1G teams in the last month so who knows?

I feel confident that the Gophers will be a better team than last year's version. Of course, most lower-tier B1G teams can probably say the same thing. The B1G is on a roll. Based on our clear portal upgrades, and strong 2024 HS class, I think it is possible that we beat UNC, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Rutgers and UCLA, in addition to softies RI and Nev. I mean we have to beat Bert one of these days (he's 10-0 against the Gophers), and it would really sting if AK and Rutgers beat us. But we'll be much more informed after the first four games ... Go Gophers!

Completely disregard what I said about Mr Fariss a couple weeks ago!

The Golden Gophers brought in several valuable and high-profile players from the transfer portal, but they lost several players that never saw any game time just like every other college football team in the nation so they still suck. Very riveting and intelligent analysis here.

Ericka chimes in:

14. Minnesota Golden Gophers​

Minnesota was barely bowl eligible in 2023 and ended with a 6-7 record, but was 3-6 in the Big Ten. The Golden Gophers did more in the spring portal than more of the teams on this list so far. They lost seven players, but they did their best to replace them with four incoming transfers.
The Golden Gophers landed four recruits from power conferences, including 3-star quarterback Dylan Wittke from Virginia Tech. The offensive pair to go with Wittke is Georgia wide receiver transfer Tyler Williams.

Minnesota also added a pair of transfers from Clemson and LSU to round out the spring window. However, they still have a tough 2024 schedule and while they could be better this season, they still probably won't be completely competitive.

Go Gophers!!

Josh chimes in:

15. Minnesota Golden Gophers​

Head Coach: PJ Fleck | Last Year: 6-7 Quick Lane Bowl W

Key losses: Athan Kaliakmanis, Tyler Nubin Key additions: Max Brosmer, Jaxon Howard, Tyler Williams

Some key losses are actually positives for the team. As a sophomore, Athan Kaliakmanis completed just 53.1% of his passes for 1,838 yards with 14 touchdowns to nine interceptions. Minnesota’s offense averaged just 20.9 points a game and finished 126th in passing offense.

Transfer quarterback Max Brosmer from New Hampshire will bring a new dynamic element for the Golden Gophers, but the rest of the roster just isn't talented enough to be excited about PJ Fleck’s team.

It seems like things have started to go stale for Fleck at Minnesota and after this season both parties could need a change.

Go Gophers!!

From a talent perspective, I don’t get why we are ranked so low. However, when you think about quarterback and linebacker and DB, our depth is certainly a concern. We need a really healthy year. And, most importantly, PJ has to be able to coach waaay better prepping for and on game day. When I see multiple rankings in the mid teens, it throws cold water on any rationale for PJs extension.

From a talent perspective, I don’t get why we are ranked so low. However, when you think about quarterback and linebacker and DB, our depth is certainly a concern. We need a really healthy year. And, most importantly, PJ has to be able to coach waaay better prepping for and on game day. When I see multiple rankings in the mid teens, it throws cold water on any rationale for PJs extension.
Because we’re not that talented?

I haven't clicked on any of these rankings because the quoted parts have made it very clear what kind of "journalism" we are working with here.

That said, I don't think you really needed these writeups to influence you to have a negative opinion about Fleck....

Lame predictions of last year. Copy paste last year and say next year.

Couch potato prognosticators too lazy to read the news. Pj has been on a roll.

Gophers will see a big boost behind the new QB and everything else too.

Lame predictions of last year. Copy paste last year and say next year.

Couch potato prognosticators too lazy to read the news. Pj has been on a roll.

Gophers will see a big boost behind the new QB and everything else too.

Edit: Darius Taylor, the year!

I think these low rankings assume that PJ runs, as he did last year, a hugely predictable offense, shutting down 50% of a normal team’s passing game, trying to scratch for 20 points and hoping that the defense plays lights out. In the new B1G, you’re going to have to open the throttle on offense. You’ll have to be a willing participant in offensive shootouts or risk being left in the dust. Our defense should be good, but not shutdown good. It won’t win us games against robust B1G offenses. We need to score a lot more points per game to have a decent record in 2024. Can’t do it by wasting your offensive possessions with the principal goal of choking the clock.

I get the impression little research was done on this article; but, then again, Autzenzoo.
Well you gotta remember, if you're a journalist nowadays, you need to get up in the morning and generate your content within about 10 minutes of starting work, then get on social media for the rest of the day.

Wow! Top 20 (B1G) ranking! Go team!!!! 🤩

Well you gotta remember, if you're a journalist nowadays, you need to get up in the morning and generate your content within about 10 minutes of starting work, then get on social media for the rest of the day.
Why are sport fans leaving ESPN? It doesn't feel like Entertainment or Sports. The further ESPN shifts from sports the lower their ratings.

Yeah, majority of the time these are fan created lists with little to no actual research. Basically have as much value as a ranking any one of us to could write up and post to a site.

Given the turnover, injury rehab, influx of talented but unproved this feels like a wait and see team.

But, that’s everyone else, so..

Psychological counseling needed for Goopher fans to bring excitement to the issue of whether we beat out someone for 15th place or 16th of 18. having no divisions in the swollen conference remains a terrible idea. It can't last.

I haven't clicked on any of these rankings because the quoted parts have made it very clear what kind of "journalism" we are working with here.

That said, I don't think you really needed these writeups to influence you to have a negative opinion about Fleck....
Yeah this is lazy writing for sure. We have one off year after multiple consecutive years of success and consistency and all of a sudden we've been condemned back to the 2010s. The cupboard here is far from bare. A competent qb gets this boat going again.

CBS chimes in:

15team logo

Minnesota
Last year was the first time Minnesota didn't appear in the AP Top 25 or CFP Rankings at least once since the 2018 season as the Gophers finished 6-7. Was it a one-off after steady improvement under P.J. Fleck or the start of a trend? The hope is transfer QB Max Brosmer can reignite an offense that averaged only 18.8 points per game in Big Ten play last season. On the defensive side of the ball, defensive coordinator Joe Rossi left to join Jonathan Smith's staff at Michigan State, adding a bit of mystery about what we can expect from the Gophers in that department this year.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom