Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren has emerged as a top candidate to be the next President/CEO of the Chicago Bears.

I have experience with him for several years when he came to town with the Wilfs when they purchased the Vikings. One thing you need to remember about NFL owners and their crew is they are here for one reason – to make money off the local yokels. Either through ticket sales, via working the local government for handouts, or when sell the franchise to the next owner. For example, Red McCombs made $350m on the Vikings after 7 years while complaining about Minnesotans, the local government, and cutting internal staff (to save money). Since 2005 the value of the Vikings has risen from 600m to 3Billion dollars with the help the State and local governments kicking in hundreds of millions to build the Stadium and redo infrastructure (don’t even get me started on how this gets marketed to the common man for his benefit). These guys are super smart business people who are good at extracting dollars from everyone from the local blue collar crowd, to politicians, to state governments.

Why do I mention this? I have nothing against Kevin but he is exactly the type of person you do NOT want involved if you love college sports. Pro sports yes, but bringing the greed, high stakes brinksmanship, and killer instinct of these pro sports owners to college is wrecking college sports (if it is not already wrecked). Turning Big10 sports into the ultimate college money making machine has forced other leagues to follow suit and permanently changed the landscape. These people are why you have college players now demanding to get paid, and rightly so. When you turn something as pure as your school’s team spirit into dollars you can expect that everyone will want a piece of the action.

To be fair to Kevin Warren, he did not start the Big Ten down its current path and when he is gone they will just replace him with someone else with a similar background. He’s a nice guy from what I can tell.

[/rant off]

Top Bottom