Big Ten coaching decisions

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
Here are the coaching hires made in the past 5 years in the Big Ten (most recent first):

Purdue: Danny Hope (2009: 5-7) spent 1 year as "coach in waiting" prior to that was HC for Eastern Kentucky University.
Michigan: Rich Rodriquez (2008: 8-16) previously WVU Head Coach - who had sent his teams to 5 consecutive January bowls.
Minnesota: Tim Brewster (2007: 14-24) previously Denver Broncos Tight Ends Coach.
Indiana: Bill Lynch (2007: 14-23) previously Asst Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator for IU and the head coach of Ball State before that.
Michigan State: Mark Dantonio (2007: 22-16) previously head coach of Cincinnati for 3 years (took them to 2 bowls in that time); Ohio State's Defensive Coord prior to that.
Northwestern: Pat Fitzgerald (2006: 27-22) previously Northwestern LB coach and recruiting coordinator. Also an alumnus.
Illinois: Ron Zook (2005: 21-39) previously head coach for the University of Florida.

Here are their winning percentages:
Dantonio: .579
Fitzgerald: .449
Hope: .416
Lynch: .378
Brew: .368
Zook: .350
R Rod: .333

5 of those 7 had previous head coaching experience (only Fitzgerald and Brewster lacked this experience).

Who knows how Rich Rod will turn out. Lynch actually has a better record than Brewster (albeit with a weaker schedule), but IU's expectations are lower than ours. Zook is on thin ice.

I don't know if I have a point here, but if I do, I think its this... Maturi took a chance on an unproven guy. I disagreed with that philosophy at the time of the hire, but what the hell do I know. Many of the guys that I supported have turned out to be duds. If, at the end of 2010, we are looking for a new coach, I hope that we look for a proven commodity - much like our peers have done.

I think 2010 is going to be it. Win or go back to Colorado for Brew. He's done some really good things for the program, and unfortunately the W/L column will hide that, but this next season will make or break it.

You're missing one

Why isn't Bielema on your list? His numbers are much prettier than anyone on there.

Fitzgerald at .449?

At 27-22, Fitzgerald's winning percentage should be 0.551 (and let's face it, Fitzgerald's first year was his only losing season and was under very difficult circumstances).

When you throw Bielema in there with a .731 winning percentage, that is 2 out of 3 "unproven" head coaches with winning records. Both of those winning records take 2 of the top 3 spots of all the head coaches you list.

Seems to me that your "data" shows you are better off taking an unproven coach... unless he is a TE coach from the NFL.

(Conversely, the very limited data-set seems to show that if you're going to take a "proven" head coach, take one from a mid-major and avoid BCS teams.)

--
cardinalfib

Top Bottom