Mon., Jan. 2 @ 1 p.m.
Michigan State vs. Georgia

Rose Bowl
Mon., Jan. 2 @ 5 p.m.
Wisconsin vs. Oregon

Allstate Sugar Bowl
Tue., Jan. 3 @ 8:30 p.m.
Michigan vs. Virginia Tech

how does mich go to the sugar bowl while state is in the outback....

It will be interesting to see how the teams that are, or expect to, deal with a coaching change will perform in these bowl games: Out of just those twenty teams you have Texas A&M, Illinois, UCLA, Penn State, Houston, and Ohio State. I also hope we can FINALLY get past the point of suggesting that going to a "bowl" game is some sort of an accomplishment. We might be the only fanbase in America that still includes fans that believe these things matter. When 10 of the 12 teams in your conference achieve something, it's probably not much of an achievement.

Florida vs Ohio State should be really interesting.

I have always felt like you should be required to go .500 or better in your conference to be bowl eligible but with the crazy number of games the NCAA can't do that because then they wouldn't have enough teams for all the games. I mean if you schedule a light non-conf schedule you are most of the way there already. At the very least with the 12 game schedule 7 wins should be required.

As long as these advertisers keep sponsoring the games there is no reason for the NCAA to change the way they do things and we end up with Illinois vs. UCLA and some of the other crappy games that no one cares about.

While the accomplishment of getting to a bowl is certainly lessened by the fact that 10 out of 12 schools in the conference received invites it is kind of depressing that along with Indiana we were the only other B1G school that couldn't manage to get 6 wins this season.

I picked up tickets to the Outback Bowl and Champs Sports Bowl last night when the line-ups were announced. I'll probably make it out to the Beef O Brady's St. Pete Bowl too. It too bad that the Gator, Outback, and Capital One Bowls are all on the same day or I could have hit all three.

Gopherdroppings
GopherJerseys.com

I have always felt like you should be required to go .500 or better in your conference to be bowl eligible but with the crazy number of games the NCAA can't do that because then they wouldn't have enough teams for all the games. I mean if you schedule a light non-conf schedule you are most of the way there already. At the very least with the 12 game schedule 7 wins should be required.

If you think about the reason the bowl game(s) were started it really doesn't make any difference.

tOSU

does this mean Urban will coach against the Gators?

It too bad that the Gator, Outback, and Capital One Bowls are all on the same day or I could have hit all three.

Can anyone explain the rationale for having four of the Big Ten affiliated bowls all at essentially the same time? Isn't that just fragmenting the likely TV audience for those games? I get that everyone wants to play on New Year's Day, that the Rose Bowl gets an exclusive window, and that flipping back and forth is part of the fun, but don't the ratings for the Gator and Ticket City games have to suffer by being matched against the higher profile games?

Does anyone have predictions on the Big Ten's chances in the games. I hope they go 8 wins and 2 losses with the 2 losses being our next door neighbors.

Michigan State was 17th in the final BCS standings - you have to be in the top 14 to be eligible for an at-large bid. They went to the Outback Bowl because they just played (and got curb stomped by Alabama) in the Capital One Bowl last year, and had been bowling in Orlando in three of the last four years.

does this mean Urban will coach against the Gators?

I'm pretty sure they said Fickell will coach the bowl game, but I'm not 100% on that. Either way, it's still a funny coincidence.

Urban will not be coaching the bowl, but I'm sure he'll be in attendance, and ESPN will have at least one camera fixed on him the entire game.

This is just like when the NCAA Tournament committee sets up the brackets so that a coach meets his former team in the first or second rounds. It happens at least once or twice every year.

Really surprised with the economy the way it is that there are still as many businesses as there are willing to shell out the big bucks to sponsor the lower tier bowl games. You see a lot of these where the stands are empty and I have no idea how good the TV ratings are for a lot of them. They must have some metric that shows it is still a good use of advertising dollars but on the surface it would not seem like they would get a lot of bang for their buck. Maybe having the bowl name on ESPN and the other sport sites for a good solid month is worth it to them.

Nice line-up and maybe this is just envy, but I can't believe that Purdue and Northwestern are in bowl games.

Curious to see how Iowa does against Oklahoma.

Makes you wonder, Mich State comes close to being Big Ten Champ while Michigan who doesn't even win the division goes to a BCS bowl game.

I was told here that the Big Ten wouldn't get all 10 of its bowl-eligible teams into bowl games...

Fist of all, the US economy is not as bad as you think. I'm for the Bowl games, but I think you should have at least have 7 wins. That being said, I would've still gone out too San Fran If the Gophers had got invited there. The Little Ceasar Bowl in Detroit may have been a stretch for us. I'm still a Bowl slut when it concerns the Gophers.

Some good games there, especially Nebraska-S. Carolina and Mich. St.-Georgia, with Penn St.-Houston a fascinating contrast in styles (Oregon should have its way with the Badgers). That there are so many teams means the Big Ten had a good record in nc play. The only bad side of it is that four of the games are at roughly the same time - can't even tape them.

Top Bottom