Big Ten Beach Read: P.J. Fleck, Minnesota and the seven-year itch

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Sam:

It’s the quietest part of the year for college football. Vacation season for coaches and players. So while they — and some of you — might be at the beach, we’ve crafted Big Ten-themed topics to explore. No firm answers, just fun and pertinent questions.
Today’s topic:

Can the P.J. Fleck/Minnesota marriage evolve past the seven-year itch?

The Gopher head coach, who took the job in 2017, has won 60% of his games since taking over at the school. He’s 5-0 in bowls, filled his stadium to 96% capacity in 2023 according to D1 ticker, and generally doesn’t put his foot in his mouth like half the Big Ten coaches do.

And yet his name keeps getting attached to other jobs.

Last offseason, internet rumblings suggested he wanted a UCLA job so undesirable Chip Kelly left it to call plays at Ohio State. The Bruin brass instead went with a former player who’s never been more than a position coach.

So here’s Fleck in 2024, getting five of his first six games this season at home — including North Carolina, Iowa and USC — before the schedule turns nastier later in the year.
He has an FCS transfer quarterback, Max Brosmer, who he wants opponents to know nothing about.
He also has a defense that slipped, more than a little bit, against the pass last season.

The marriage of Minnesota and Fleck’s boat oars has been a success. None of the Jerry Kill/Tracy Claeys-era drama. But the Gophers found a reason to fire Glen Mason — who won 53% of his games — after a decade, and Fleck likely chafes to reach the College Football Playoff. He’s not likely to do it at Minnesota.

This year could be the litmus test. And Nebraska won’t play a role in it. For the first time since joining the Big Ten, the Huskers won’t be playing the Gophers. Fleck is 6-1 against NU.

Go Gophers!!

the true question raised here - what are Fleck's long-term goals? and can he reasonably achieve those goals at MN?

if Fleck wants to be in the National playoffs or contend for a National title - that's most likely not going to happen at MN. I just don't see the Gophers ever attracting the type of talent needed for that kind of a run. (without landing a sugar daddy with lots of bags filled with money)

But, if Fleck is content with running a program that goes to a bowl game most years, and makes the occasional run at a higher finish in the conference or even a playoff berth, then he can pretty much stay at MN as long as he wants.

now, if Coyle leaves for some reason, and the new AD doesn't click with Fleck, then I could see Fleck looking for greener pastures. but as long as Coyle is the AD, Fleck will be the FB Coach.

the true question raised here - what are Fleck's long-term goals? and can he reasonably achieve those goals at MN?

if Fleck wants to be in the National playoffs or contend for a National title - that's most likely not going to happen at MN. I just don't see the Gophers ever attracting the type of talent needed for that kind of a run. (without landing a sugar daddy with lots of bags filled with money)

But, if Fleck is content with running a program that goes to a bowl game most years, and makes the occasional run at a higher finish in the conference or even a playoff berth, then he can pretty much stay at MN as long as he wants.

now, if Coyle leaves for some reason, and the new AD doesn't click with Fleck, then I could see Fleck looking for greener pastures. but as long as Coyle is the AD, Fleck will be the FB Coach.
I dread what a coaching change looks like for us in the current cfb world. Like him or hate him, Fleck's been a bastion of stability and predictability. One can't devalue that right now. I hope we get back to 8+ wins.

Top Bottom