Big Ten analyst Yogi Roth gives this weeks helmet sticker to Greg Harbaugh for outstanding play calling

I really don’t know what goes on in the booth or who’s making decisions and when.

There could be some coordinator out there on a team that’s sub .500 and is working miracles and we would never know it..
good QB play is making him look good too,we don’t win these last two games without Brosmers leadership and decision making

good QB play is making him look good too,we don’t win these last two games without Brosmers leadership and decision making
I actually think Brosmer has had to overcome some poor coaching. I’m still on team find a new OC after the season unless they start putting FULL games together.

Per Yogi:

• Epic finish at the Rose Bowl. The Bruins played their most complete game of the season, but it still wasn’t enough. P.J. Fleck’s Minnesota team navigated the highs and lows of the game with a steadier hand and went on a game-winning drive late into the night. While no one is a fan of moral victories, I will say that UCLA has grown in every game this season. The defensive game plan from DeShaun Foster’s team was impressive, but when the Bruins needed one more stop the Golden Gophers made the play, checking the ball down to an open Darius Taylor to put Minnesota in front with 27 seconds left, leaving UCLA winless in the Big Ten. Our crew will be on the call for the Bruins’ game at Rutgers this Saturday on FS1 so more on that matchup later this week on the Y-Option podcast.

Go Gophers!!

I liked the Brosmer keeper against USC and the third and four screen to Brockington against UCLA. But it's not like we're hanging 35 points a game either.

We were outgained by 100 yards and averaged 1.7 yards per carry and 5.2 theowing and were scoreless at the half against a mediocre defense. God I hope that’s not viewed as a good game by our OC. And if you want to say it’s the play call, that was his 4th read. That’s a great qb and protection

Lotta people giving Harbaugh flowers this year. Mentioned multiple times by the crew during the USC game (i.e, “that play is straight out of an NFL playbook” or similar). Derek Burns pointed out the halftime adjustments against UCLA, including using Taylor to draw LBs out of the box and then booting the opposite way to throw screens and other short passes after it became obvious UCLA was going to run blitz almost every play Taylor was in. Many have pointed out how many plays MN left on the field last year due to poor QB play. I think Harbaugh might be OK. Not incredible, but perhaps quite a bit better than most Gophers fans believe.

Lotta people giving Harbaugh flowers this year. Mentioned multiple times by the crew during the USC game (i.e, “that play is straight out of an NFL playbook” or similar). Derek Burns pointed out the halftime adjustments against UCLA, including using Taylor to draw LBs out of the box and then booting the opposite way to throw screens and other short passes after it became obvious UCLA was going to run blitz almost every play Taylor was in. Many have pointed out how many plays MN left on the field last year due to poor QB play. I think Harbaugh might be OK. Not incredible, but perhaps quite a bit better than most Gophers fans believe.
Beating the drum that this team is getting better every week. Hopefully the offense can self-evaluate this week and really focus in on what has really been good the first 1/2 of the season. Using the RBs in the passing game is huge for QB support and development.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but I find it interesting that Elijah Spencer and Darius Taylor were both wide open and went into the end zone untouched on their respective touchdown catches vs. UCLA.

And Brosmer scored untouched on one of his three rushing touchdowns vs. USC.

The offense looks very different from the Ciarrocca version. For one thing, we have suddenly discovered the fact that running backs are actually eligible to catch passes. Also, Jameson Geers has quietly become a valuable pass catcher.

Our offensive line still appears to be a work in progress. If they begin to find some cohesion and gain confidence, this team might really surprise some people.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but I find it interesting that Elijah Spencer and Darius Taylor were both wide open and went into the end zone untouched on their respective touchdown catches vs. UCLA.

And Brosmer scored untouched on one of his three rushing touchdowns vs. USC.

The offense looks very different from the Ciarrocca version. For one thing, we have suddenly discovered the fact that running backs are actually eligible to catch passes. Also, Jameson Geers has quietly become a valuable pass catcher.

Our offensive line still appears to be a work in progress. If they begin to find some cohesion and gain confidence, this team might really surprise some people.
I'll give those guys credit.

In addition ... UCLA doesn't play gud.

But you beat the team you're playing so there ya go. Plenty of difficult plays too.

Beating the drum that this team is getting better every week. Hopefully the offense can self-evaluate this week and really focus in on what has really been good the first 1/2 of the season. Using the RBs in the passing game is huge for QB support and development.

Well said.

Step ONE is beating the teams you should beat. Step TWO is beating teams that are higher up the ladder.

If the Gophers are routinely accomplishing the first and occasionally upsetting a contender, Minnesota will be a good team by definition.

Per Yogi:

• Epic finish at the Rose Bowl. The Bruins played their most complete game of the season, but it still wasn’t enough. P.J. Fleck’s Minnesota team navigated the highs and lows of the game with a steadier hand and went on a game-winning drive late into the night. While no one is a fan of moral victories, I will say that UCLA has grown in every game this season. The defensive game plan from DeShaun Foster’s team was impressive, but when the Bruins needed one more stop the Golden Gophers made the play, checking the ball down to an open Darius Taylor to put Minnesota in front with 27 seconds left, leaving UCLA winless in the Big Ten. Our crew will be on the call for the Bruins’ game at Rutgers this Saturday on FS1 so more on that matchup later this week on the Y-Option podcast.

Go Gophers!!

They certainly did navigate some lows and hung in there! That's become a feature of this team as it has progressed through the season. They get down but not out. They've also become pretty good at getting timely turnovers.

I do agree with the author that UCLA was impressive defensively. We certainly couldn't run against them.

Both games against the LA teams were tense, hard-fought affairs and compelling to watch. The key difference I think was discipline. These teams definitely had talent but both shot themselves in the foot with costly penalties, especially UCLA. They both seemed a bit more undisciplined than the traditional Big Ten teams. That's also been the historical case with Maryland, a relative newcomer to the league.

Something was posted here a few weeks ago indicating that Brosmer may have had something to do with the design to increase the use of the running backs in the passing game. Last year running backs caught 27 passes in 13 games. This year they've caught 47 passes in 7 games.

Something was posted here a few weeks ago indicating that Brosmer may have had something to do with the design to increase the use of the running backs in the passing game. Last year running backs caught 27 passes in 13 games. This year they've caught 47 passes in 7 games.
He also has the ability to get past a 1st and 2nd read which AK certainly does not

Really expecting everything to come together for the Maryland game. Had enough of one good half like in the last three games. Now we've had an extra week to heal and practice. Bosmer has settled in and they can build on his strengths; we've used the quick short passes effectively and now refine longer passes; hopefully, the offensive line will jell and we'll start running the ball a lot better. Home game--can't wait.

He also has the ability to get past a 1st and 2nd read which AK certainly does not
...and Tanner Morgan, to a degree. After years of watching our QBs drop back and lock in on a guy, our brains immediately recognize something different when Brosmer is back there and goes through his reads. Its like we have a real quarterback now.

...and Tanner Morgan, to a degree. After years of watching our QBs drop back and lock in on a guy, our brains immediately recognize something different when Brosmer is back there and goes through his reads. Its like we have a real quarterback now.
Not to pile on here, but I heard PJ say in recent press conferences that Max gets 2 plays called in to his headset and the coaches let him make the adjustments at the line presnap, something PJ has never done before as a HC. Max has proven that he is that smart and that prepared, and we are seeing it on gameday.

And about 90% of QBs in college football.

I watch a LOT of games on Saturdays, and if you pay attention, almost every college QB locks onto their first read.

What Brosmer had to do with it was to show up on campus with his history. That's how he has succeeded over his career.

Fleck and the OC were intelligent enough and bold enough to design an offense that fit their QBs proven strength. They already knew DT was a good receiver and turns out Major is good at it too.

Part of the skill in looking at more than one receiver is actually knowing where the 2nd and 3rd option will be. Brosmer doesn't need the time to search for secondary options. He is just a great example of a smart, experienced QB.

Really expecting everything to come together for the Maryland game. Had enough of one good half like in the last three games. Now we've had an extra week to heal and practice. Bosmer has settled in and they can build on his strengths; we've used the quick short passes effectively and now refine longer passes; hopefully, the offensive line will jell and we'll start running the ball a lot better. Home game--can't wait.
There might be a little too much concern here about only playing one good half. The defense played a full game against UCLA.

Sometimes offense has to have time to probe the unexpected (sometimes) defense of the opponent. If your defense is keeping you in the game, that is a luxury. It's a team game, not just an offensive game.

There might be a little too much concern here about only playing one good half. The defense played a full game against UCLA.

Sometimes offense has to have time to probe the unexpected (sometimes) defense of the opponent. If your defense is keeping you in the game, that is a luxury. It's a team game, not just an offensive game.

Yes, the defense did play well against UCLA but the evidence so far is that Maryland is a better offensive team than them so I hope we're not in another 10 point hole at the half because the offense hasn't scored.

Top Bottom