Big STrib profile: With new Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck, 'it's not an act'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Selling the Gophers

Fleck made $820,000 at WMU this season and was in negotiations on a lucrative extension. But the Gophers lured him away with a five-year contract that pays an average of $3.6 million per season.

Fleck called this a dream job, but if he succeeds like he did at his last stop, it might be just as tough for Minnesota to keep him. He would owe about $1 million per year remaining on his contract if he leaves for another job.

“He’s not looking to leave,” said Fleck’s agent, Bryan Harlan. “He’ll be here a while. He stayed at Western Michigan for four years, and he could have left after two. Now, could he have another move in him someday? Sure. But I don’t think he wants to bounce around.”

Fleck’s top priority is recruiting, and he went right to work Friday, getting six players who had committed to WMU to flip to the Gophers.

He is selling those players, no doubt, on words similar to the ones he used to end Friday’s news conference.

“As we continue to move forward, we’ve got a lot of years together,” he said. “I appreciate everybody’s time. Ski-U-Mah and Row the Boat.”

http://www.startribune.com/with-new-gophers-football-coach-p-j-fleck-it-s-not-an-act/409993075/

Go Gophers!!

We're the land of 10,000 lakes. Ain't no rowing on Mille Lacs. Get out the Mercury 150 on a 17 foot bass boat or go home! [emoji570]

Not an act? That might be the most depressing thing I've read so far.

Top Bottom