BIG Projections

tripledouble

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I'll take a whack at it before conference play begins. Feel free to shoot holes in it as you see fit.

1. Maryland. Lots of talent. Could contend for national title. We'll know more about them after their upcoming matchup with U Conn.
2. Ohio State. Might be the BIGs most talented squad, but chemistry isn't yet where it should be.
3. Indiana. Tyra Buss and a solid cast of experienced players.
4. Northwestern. Nia Coffey is one of the BIG's top 5 players and is surrounded by some experienced teammates. Not much depth/must stay healthy. Underachieved last year.
5. Michigan. Flaherty and Thome give them a good inside/outside combo.
6. Penn State. A bit of an enigma. Lost by 22 to Drexel to open the season, but then defeated then 13th-ranked Tennessee.
7. Michigan State. Jankoska (sp?) will score, but who else. Will Jankoska try to do too much?
8. Iowa. Disterhoff, Davis, Gustafson...some good parts, inside and out.
9. Minnesota. One of the BIG's toughest schedules with Maryland and OSU both on the schedule twice.
10. Purdue. Some bad non-conference losses point toward a long BIG season for the Boilers.
11. Illinois. Bollant on the hot seat?
12. Nebraska. Jess Shepard and who else? This program hit hard by last year's defections. New coach Amy Williams.
13. Wisconsin. Another new coach. Same results.
14. Rutgers. Is CVS nearing the end of the line with her coaching career.

Notes: If everything goes right for the Gophers they could finish as high as 4th.

I'll play: here are my groupings.

Biggest of the B1G

Maryland (12-0)
Ohio State (10-4)

B1G Do Over:

Northwestern (11-2): Coming off an extremely disappointing season this is Coffey’s last chance.
Michigan State (10-3): Coming of a mildly disappointing season. See Tripledouble above.
Penn State (10-2): Coming off a run of disappointing seasons.

B1G Buildup; B1G fail (Okay probably only one will fail; they play each other twice and Maryland and OSU once).

Indiana (10-3): Yes Buss is annoyingly good but I’m still baffled by their success.
Michigan (11-3): My annual “I remain a Kim Barnes-Arico sceptic” statement.

B1G Mystery:

Minnesota (9-4): RPI wonders.
Iowa (9-4): Lisa Bluder is going to extremes trying to get this club on track-a starting five and a subbing five.

B1Gest Hot Seat:

Purdue (9-5): The Boilers have a fairly neutral schedule (Maryland and OSU once and each of the bottom four once).

B1Ggie Smalls

Illinois (5-8); End of the Bollant era
Wisconsin (5-8) Beginning of the Tsipis era. At some point I think he’ll get something out of Fredrickson and McMorris.
Nebraska (4-8): Beginning of the Williams era (can she figure out what to do with Shepard and Havers)
Rutgers (3-10): End of something.

My prediction for conference season is as follows:

1. Maryland-they play more team ball than Ohio St
2. Ohio St-if Mitchell learns to pass and Mavunga's knees hold up, this could be a dangerous team
3. Michigan-Semi-deep, has the experience
4. Michigan St-Not as high scoring but I think will settle in during conference season
5. Indiana-Seems like a good not great team
6. Minnesota-If Hubbard can come back and not drop off with production and Fernstrom is as strong as I am expecting, this team could surprise people
7. Penn St-scrappy and hard working team
8. Northwestern, outside of Coffey (and frankly even her sometimes) this team is very hot and cold...and usually cold when it matters
9. Iowa-A lot of shooters but limited depth
10. Purdue, outside of starting 5 they really have nothing to rely on
11. Wisconsin, I think the new coach will get more and more out of this team as the conference season moves forward
12. Shepard will power them to a few wins to keep them out of the bottom of the Big Ten
13. Illinois-not a good coach and weak team in my opinon
14. Rutgers....ummmm..just ouch

let me know if you think im way off on these.

My predication with no explanations...

1. Maryland
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. Indiana
5. Michigan State
6. Northwestern
7. Minnesota
8. Penn State
9. Iowa
10. Nebraska
11. Purdue
12. Wisconsin
13. Rutgers
14. Illinois

This is how I felt before Illinois beat Iowa today so I'm probably completely wrong...

Just watched MD vs UConn and can't argue with #1 and #2 finishes. Could be more interesting after that based on injuries and how well all the transfers mesh with their new teams. We could get buried on Sunday and we will have to shoot lights out to stay in the game. The freshman PG from MD just dropped in 23 and was 5-9 from 3 with some of her shots coming from 4 -5 steps behind the line.

5 games into the BIG schedule, it's now easier to project where these teams will finish.

1. Maryland. In a league of it's. Could run the table in the BIG.
2. Ohio State. Maybe more talented than Maryland, but McGuff is having trouble getting this team to hit on all cylinders. A team that shouldn't be as bad as they are defensively, but lots of lapses. With this team, it's apparent that McGuff can recruit, but can he coach?
3. Michigan. Three very good players in Flaherty, Thome and freshman Gondrezick. This team plays decent defense to go along with its high-powered offense.
4. Northwestern. Senior- laden team led by Coffey and Deary. Four senior starters. Not very deep. Can they stay healthy? If not, they'll drop a bit.
5. Indiana. An experienced team, probably an NCAA tourney team. Tyra Buss has struggled a bit to start the conference season, but she's too good of a player to continue to struggle.
6. Michigan State. Who can score consistently other than Jankoska? Does Merchant's medical leave of absence have an effect?
7. Iowa. Gustafson one of the better posts in the BIG and only a soph. Disterhoft off to a slow start.
8. Minnesota. The start of the BIG schedule didn't do the Gophers any favors and they weren't up to the task. Lots of flaws exposed. Can the Gophers rebound to get some wins against some of the BIGs more beatable teams?
9. Penn State. Remains an enigma. Beat Tennessee in non-conference action and gave Maryland a "run for its money". But very inconsistent.
10. Purdue. Another enigma. But Ashley Morrisette is worth a watch.
11. Illinois. I like Wittinger and Holesinska.
12. Rutgers. This team plays hard. They're offensively-challenged but they've overachieved to start the BIG schedule and look out next year when 6 transfers/injured players join the roster.
13. Nebraska. Jess Shepherd and who else?
14. Wisconsin. Has a chance to win a game or two.

Top Bottom