Big East Implosion Neigh...

I think it's past the consideration phase, they are going to leave, but who knows how it'll happen. It could be that the Big East is no more as early as this weekend.

http://collegespun.com/national/rep..._medium=referral&utm_source=t.co#.UMp_v3Pjmnd

Scoop: The seven Catholic, non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools in the Big East Conference are expected to make an announcement on their future with the conference by Friday.

Significance: The non-football schools: Marquette, Georgetown, Providence, St. John’s, Villanova, Seton Hall and DePaul, currently have enough hold to vote to dissolve the once powerful conference.

Story: ESPN’s Brett McMurphy, Andy Katz and Dana O’Neil reported on Wednesday night that the seven non-football schools in the Big East Conference are leaning towards leaving the conference. The presidents of the seven schools met with Big East Commissioner Mike Aresco in New York to discuss the future of the conference. According to sources, the seven schools are “close to a consensus on what they want to do next.” The schools can all leave the conference together, with the Atlantic-10 potentially set to clean up the pieces.

There is also the option of voting to dissolve the conference. There are only 10 current members of the Big East that can vote for such a move; the non-football schools with UConn, Cincinnati and South Florida – the three schools besides Louisville that tried to get an invite into the Atlantic Coast Conference. UConn President Susan Herbst has been pleading with the non-football schools to stay, but it appears that by Friday, the Big East could cease to exist.

Are they putting a horse in a pressurized chamber? Strategically placing explosives so it collapses in on itself? Neigh, indeed.

and so begins the divide between public and private insitutions. on a micro scale we saw this occur with private high schools loading up on talent beginning in the late 80's. if this becomes a larger trend we could lose NW.

Wait! What?

NW isn't going anywhere. This is an apples/oranges comparison. For starters, NW is highly competitive in football and makes a ton of money through the BTN. The b-ball only schools in the Big East do not get any of the football money from the Big East. They see the writing on the wall that the Big East football is crumbling. The only way the Big East can stay relevant in football is to add more schools out west and that hurts the travel budgets of the non-football schools.

I don't see how the Atlantic 10 is any better than the Big East. The Atlantic 10 might be the top mid-major conference, but the Big East has been a top 3 basketball conference over the last 5 years.

I don't see how the Atlantic 10 is any better than the Big East. The Atlantic 10 might be the top mid-major conference, but the Big East has been a top 3 basketball conference over the last 5 years.

The Big East has been great thanks to a few of these seven schools, and a bunch of schools that have either left or are on their way out: West Virginia, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Notre Dame. Oh, and UConn, whose begging to be let into the ACC looks even funnier now.

I applaud these schools for saying enough is enough. Let the Big East die, already.

NW isn't going anywhere. This is an apples/oranges comparison. For starters, NW is highly competitive in football and makes a ton of money through the BTN. The b-ball only schools in the Big East do not get any of the football money from the Big East. They see the writing on the wall that the Big East football is crumbling. The only way the Big East can stay relevant in football is to add more schools out west and that hurts the travel budgets of the non-football schools.

Yep. using recency theory everything will always be as it is. I was applying some popular trends to allow for some forecasting. I forgot that things always stay the same.

Yep. using recency theory everything will always be as it is. I was applying some popular trends to allow for some forecasting. I forgot that things always stay the same.

Things are fluid and change all the time but for the reasons I cited I cannot see the scenario you envisioned happening. I don't think you have fully explained it.

It would make little to no sense for Northwestern to leave in the foreseeable future. Private vs public high schools are a completely different animal than private vs public universities, given the private high schools advantages in recruiting (i.e., not limited by geography, typically better academics).

Until the American university system favors private universities over public universities for recruiting or athletics spending, it is not an apt comparison IMO.

Do any of those schools make sense for the B1G? Syracuse? Louisville? Pitt?

There are $48 million reasons per year that NW aint going anywhere...which is the projected revenue share from the next TV contract. Get serious for goodness sakes. Not to mention that the Big Ten OWNS all the TV rights for all member schools...so NW is going to jump ship on $50mil per year and pay $250 mil to get out of the conference?

There are $48 million reasons per year that NW aint going anywhere...which is the projected revenue share from the next TV contract. Get serious for goodness sakes. Not to mention that the Big Ten OWNS all the TV rights for all member schools...so NW is going to jump ship on $50mil per year and pay $250 mil to get out of the conference?

I already capitulated. nothing changes in college football...quit rubbing it in.

Top Bottom