Big 10's best bet after Sparty?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Which Big 10 team (excluding Michigan State) has the best chance to make an extended run in the NCAA Tournament? And why?

A. Illinois
B. Michigan
C. Minnesota
D. Ohio State
E. Penn State
F. Purdue
G. Wisconsin

I'm going to take the easy way out and have an either/or answer. If Robbie Hummel is anything remotely close to healthy (doubtful), I say F (Purdue). Otherwise, I say B (Michigan). If the Wolverines get in -- and that's a big if at this point -- I think they're going to be dangerous with their style of play, a stud in Manny Harris and a tournament-tested coach in Beilein.

I'll say Illinois, because I don't think Hummel gets healthy, and I'm holding out hope that the Gophers avoid the sweep of Michigan and manage to beat them out for the likely last spot from the Big 10.

tOSU

Evan goes nuts, they get lucky with a second round match-up with a weaker 3 seed (Xavier) and they play some decent zone defense down the stretch, then claw their way into the Elite 8 as a 6 seed.

Purdue or Ohio State

Purdue and Ohio State are the only other teams that have the athleticism to hang with most anyone.

I think Michigan has the potential. They have proven they can beat and play with the best. The only thing is they are so inconsistent, they might not make the tourney, and even if they do, they could be beat in the first round just as easily as making a run. They are a wild card.

Purdue would be the safe choice though.

Which Big 10 team (excluding Michigan State) has the best chance to make an extended run in the NCAA Tournament? And why?

A. Illinois
B. Michigan
C. Minnesota
D. Ohio State
E. Penn State
F. Purdue
G. Wisconsin

I'm going to take the easy way out and have an either/or answer. If Robbie Hummel is anything remotely close to healthy (doubtful), I say F (Purdue). Otherwise, I say B (Michigan). If the Wolverines get in -- and that's a big if at this point -- I think they're going to be dangerous with their style of play, a stud in Manny Harris and a tournament-tested coach in Beilein.

F (Purdue). We are beating Sparty pretty hard in the 2nd half.

We? I mean, its been obvious you aren't a Gopher fan, but you didn't need to make it...obvious.

FOT has stated many times on this board he's a Purdue grad and a fan of them first and foremost. It isn't like it is some guarded secret.

I know it has become popular to bash the Big Ten (Sid this morning called it the worst it has been in 25 years, which I believe to be untrue). I sincerely believe that the league gets 6 and possibly 7 teams into the dance. I also believe there's a chance the Big Ten gets 3 into the Sweet 16. Say what you want, but the Big Ten still has the 2nd best league RPI. I think after MSU and PU, the other potential dancers (OSU, ILL, MN, WIS, PSU, MICH) ALL have the potential to win a couple of games in the field. Obviously depends on how the committee seeds the Big Ten teams, but I'm more optimistic this year than most for getting multiple teams into the Sweet 16. Now, that said, I don't see a team a Big Ten team making the Final Four this year.

Sid proves his cluelessness once again

Sid is a complete tool. 'Nuff said.

The Big Ten is still not where we'd like it to be, but it is clearly making strides and is way ahead of its performance the past few seasons. Yes, there are some ugly games, no doubt about it and yes, they have to "prove it" during March Madness. But I'd be willing to bet Big 10 squads in the first weekend are going to completely frustrate their opponents because they haven't seen that type of defense on a night-in, night-out basis. Not to mention, Big 10 offenses should loosen up a little bit in the NCAA because there's no freaking way they'll be seeing the same type of defense they've faced all season.

You hit it on the head. 6 will make it & if things fall exactly right there will be 7 in the NCAA. I expect 2 to get to the Sweet 16, but I don't think that would answer the critics; that's my minimal expectation. If the Big 10 gets 3 to the Sweet 16, that would be a smashing success, in my opinion. I agree that there's not a Final Four crew in the bunch, perhaps not even an Elite Eight, but I think that's coming (in multiples) in the next few seasons.

Sid doesn't like changes to the status quo. Until Indiana is back on top, and Michigan our conference is a dud. Nevermind that the doormats are now competitive and the middle can compete well anywhere. And of course, in sid's mind with out bobby at Indiana the conference will never be great again.

Top Bottom