Big 10 Recruiting Rankings

Nomellini

Reaction score
I saw a segment on the Big 10 Network today in which Jerry DiNardo was talking about recruiting rankings. The 2017 Gopher class is currently rated #13. The classes brought in by Kill had an average ranking of #11, bearing in mind that there were just 12 Big 10 teams during part of his tenure. I'm not sure if these ratings were figured on a basis of average # of stars per recruit or on total # of stars assigned to the whole class. Maybe someone else saw the same piece. In any case, is there still time to elevate our 2017 ranking? Comments?

BTN posted a pic on facebook showing us only ahead of Purdue and Illinois in recruiting,
according to 247

i'm not worried about class rankings. our staff recruits to our system. we do our own evaluations and don't rely on stars. we will also coach them up, and will find some diamonds in the rough that others over look.

A couple of thoughts on rankings, Juco commits tend to be under appreciated in the ranking system, one highly ranked recruit can skew the numbers. We have a fair number of Juco commits so net impact of those players is under valued. Nothing is final, until the players are signed, the rankings are subject to being scrambled by a decommitment or two. Iowa, is ahead of us due to one five star, lose that five star and they'll drop considerably.

i'm not worried about class rankings. our staff recruits to our system. we do our own evaluations and don't rely on stars. we will also coach them up, and will find some diamonds in the rough that others over look.
I heard one guy had an ugly girlfriend, ugly girlfriend means no confidence.

I wish we could reel in a few big fish in terms of offensive recruiting. I'm fine with what this staff does on the defensive side of the ball. They have shown they can grab under the radar guys and turn them into NFL talent. It would just be nice to get a few more above average athletes we can throw into the offensive mix.

247 Sports now has Gophers at 11 of 14 ahead of Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue. They have all 16 of our commits as 3*'s. Also note that the top 5 and 6 of 7 classes are all in the East Division. Nebraska at 6 is highest West team.

West Division
Nebraska has 3, 4*'s and Wisconsin has 1, 4*.

East Division
Other than Indiana every team in East has at least 3, 4* recruits.

I heard one guy had an ugly girlfriend, ugly girlfriend means no confidence.

Wait a minute, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some are pretty on the outside, but ugly in the inside.

I wish we could reel in a few big fish in terms of offensive recruiting. I'm fine with what this staff does on the defensive side of the ball. They have shown they can grab under the radar guys and turn them into NFL talent. It would just be nice to get a few more above average athletes we can throw into the offensive mix.

If you are Bart Miller, Jay Johnson, and Tracy Claeys you have to start someplace.

They don't like what they see in the lineup in both starters and depth players. They began with the recruitment of Jucos last season (Garrision Wright, Vincent Calhoun, Merrick Jackson, Kobe McCrary) to build up the line and add quality depth.

They may have looked at their current roster going into next season. They don't quite like what they see. Underclassmen aren't quite ready or don't have the physical tools. They may not have good depth.

What do you do? Your current commits are under the radar, homies, or pipeline kids. They can't attract many high three stars & four stars recruit unless they start winning consistently. So whatever they cannot get on HS commits they go find in the Juco route. It's not all bad. They get quaility linemen for instance they normally would have not been able to sign these caliber of players going the normal 4-year scholie route.

Johnson and Miller may be developing a reputation for the Gopher Football program into a destination for Juco players.

I really really really don't like the narrative that we recruit lesser players and "coach them up". That is giving waaaay too much credit to the rankings. I think it is more accurate to say we recruit under-ranked players - those that are better than their rankings. TC, JS, MS, etc have proven this too be true on the D. JK, ML, etc were not as good on the offensive side. Hopefully TC, JJ, etc can be.

I will fight to the day I die that after the top 10/20 classes the difference in the next level is a total roll of the dice. Whether the 40th or 60th ranked class (for example) is better is 50/50 - the rankings mean nothing. How well coaches identify talent and talent that fits their systems is all that matters at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really really really don't like the narrative that we recruit lesser players and "coach them up". That is giving waaaay too much credit to the rankings. I think it is more accurate to say we recruit under-ranked players - those that are better than their rankings. TC, JS, MS, etc have proven this too be true on the D. JK, ML, etc were not as good on the offensive side. Hopefully TC, JJ, etc can be.

I will fight to the day I die that after the top 10/20 classes the difference in the next level is a total roll of the dice. Whether the 40th or 60th ranked class (for example) is better is 50/50 - the rankings mean nothing. How well coaches identify talent and talent that fits their systems is all that matters at that point.

Agreed. Eric Murray was an awesome player and was totally undervalued/under ranked by all recruiting services. We can give the coaching staff tons of credit for unearthing a diamond in the rough. How much credit they deserve for "coaching him up" is very debatable.

Until you rattle of several 10 win seasons you're not going to get a bevy of high 3 and 4 and 5 star players to visit unless they're local talent. Kansas State has made a living out of bringing JC
transfers in.I bet this class ends up with at least 6 from the JC ranks. They've 3 WR visiting in the next month.

Until you rattle of several 10 win seasons you're not going to get a bevy of high 3 and 4 and 5 star players to visit unless they're local talent. Kansas State has made a living out of bringing JC
transfers in.I bet this class ends up with at least 6 from the JC ranks. They've 3 WR visiting in the next month.

Yep.

I don't really care about rankings. What I care about is bringing in legit QB and WR talent. Those are the two positions we consistently grade out to a D or F. Just about every other position tend to be at least average year to year. When are we going to bring in some QB and WR talent? Do we need better assistants to "coach up" our middle of the road recruits?

I don't really care about rankings. What I care about is bringing in legit QB and WR talent. Those are the two positions we consistently grade out to a D or F. Just about every other position tend to be at least average year to year. When are we going to bring in some QB and WR talent? Do we need better assistants to "coach up" our middle of the road recruits?

Agreed. The thing is Claeys agrees too and is why he fired Limey and Z. Hopefully TC and JJ can identify QB and WR talent better than Kill, Limey, and Z could. Only time will tell.

I'm with you. Explained this very thing a couple months ago in a thread. Even gave numerous examples both ways. Got hammered and told all my examples were outliers. For programs like the U, recruiting talent to the system, development of said talent coupled with good coaching is key to long term success. Once you've built that, you have a shot at higher rated kids but the impact is less than many think.

I'm with you. Explained this very thing a couple months ago in a thread. Even gave numerous examples both ways. Got hammered and told all my examples were outliers. For programs like the U, recruiting talent to the system, development of said talent coupled with good coaching is key to long term success. Once you've built that, you have a shot at higher rated kids but the impact is less than many think.

Following Rankings as gospel allow folks to instantly determine "good" & "bad" choices. Black and White. It is too hard for some to accept that you won't know for years and so they won't accept it.

So lets take a look at B1G recruiting rankings and compare them to the B1G standings since 2011. I did not include Rutgers or Maryland since they have only been in the B1G half of this time period.

B1G Recruiting Rank 2011-2016 (Rivals) - Average

Ohio St 1.00
Michigan 3.50
Nebraska 3.67
Michigan St. 3.83
Penn St. 4.33
Wisconsin 6.67
Iowa 7.33
Illinois 8.83
Indiana 9.33
Northwestern 9.50
Minnesota 9.83
Purdue 10.17

B1G Standings - 2011-2016

Ohio St 2.83
Michigan St. 3.83
Wisconsin 4.00
Michigan 5.00
Nebraska 5.17
Penn St. 5.17
Iowa 5.50
Northwestern 7.50
Minnesota 7.83
Indiana 10.00
Illinois 10.17
Purdue 10.50

As always there is a very good correlation between the recruiting ranking and average B1G finish. This staff has coached up these players firmly above the Illinois, Indiana, Purdue level, but that's about it.

I also forgot to mention that there is absolutely no reasoning with a ranking lover. They like it black/white and will always see it that way.

You have the 39th ranked class and I have the 43rd ranked class - yours is better. Done. No information will sway me.

As always there is a very good correlation between the recruiting ranking and average B1G finish. This staff has coached up these players firmly above the Illinois, Indiana, Purdue level, but that's about it.

yep, stars and future success are correlated, though still probabilistic and not deterministic. plus there's that whole gotta coach them thing. another option would be to cycle through more two and three star recruits

Glasscock said they start with 15,000 recruits to eval each year. Alabama identifies the top players in each position of need - I don't know the number, but guessing it's a lot less than 15,000

I don't care about stars and Jerry DN's opinion on anything about recruiting does not interest me at all. He couldn't recruit at LSU with talent all over the area. He can't evaluate talent or he would have been there a long time.

So lets take a look at B1G recruiting rankings and compare them to the B1G standings since 2011. I did not include Rutgers or Maryland since they have only been in the B1G half of this time period.

B1G Recruiting Rank 2011-2016 (Rivals) - Average

Ohio St 1.00
Michigan 3.50
Nebraska 3.67
Michigan St.3.83
Penn St. 4.33
Wisconsin 6.67
Iowa 7.33
Illinois 8.83
Indiana 9.33
Northwestern9.50
Minnesota 9.83
Purdue 10.17

B1G Standings - 2011-2016

Ohio St 2.83
Michigan St.3.83
Wisconsin 4.00
Michigan 5.00
Nebraska 5.17
Penn St. 5.17
Iowa 5.50
Northwestern7.50
Minnesota 7.83
Indiana 10.00
Illinois 10.17
Purdue 10.50

Very interesting post. I haven't done any serious calculations but nice to see some numbers behind the claims some people make.

Top Bottom