Big 10 Bowl Pairings and Predictions

DL65

Reaction score
The Big 10 Conference has 7 schools in post season play. Bowl games are often full of surprises and upsets, because of the long lay off between games (4-5 weeks), the return of injured players, focused and unfocused teams, as well player suspensions for myriad reasons. Will the Big 10 enjoy post season success or disappointment in the won-loss column?

Here are my predictions, one day after the bowl selections were announced:

ROSE Bowl: USC vs Penn State

USC will be and should be favored. Nevertheless, I expect a close contest as Joe Pa's charges will be well prepared and they play fundamentally sound football. USC wins in the fourth quarter.

FIESTA Bowl: Ohio State vs Texas

Texas's high octane offense will severely test the Buckeye defense, as the Longhorn defense shuts down OSU's offense. The Longhorns win going-away. I still believe Texas should be in the national championship game and will play with purpose and a chip on their shoulder.

CAPITAL ONE Bowl: Michigan State vs Georgia

Georgia's disappointing, underachieving season carries over to the bowl season. The Spartans win in a close one.

OUTBACK Bowl: Iowa vs South Carolina

For me, the easiest pick. Iowa's stout defense shuts down the Gamecocks and Shonn Greene enjoys another 100+ yard game. Kirk's preparation and the Hawks physical play wears down and defeats Spurrier's team. Iowa wins easily.

ALAMO Bowl: Northwestern vs Missouri

Mizzou scores a lot of points, but they also give up a ton. Pat Fitzgerald's Wildcats play sound football . . . not flashy, but error free ball. Northwestern beats the Missouri Tigers.

INSIGHT Bowl: Minnesota vs Kansas

Redemption is at hand, and the Gophers put the Iowa debacle behind them. The Gophers should be well rested and injury free, enough so to play inspired ball and end the season on the upside (ala the Music City Bowl Minnesota vs Arkansas). A bowl win will make for a short winter and excitement for spring ball. Minnesota defeats the Jayhawks in a close game (less than a touchdown).

CHAMPS Bowl: Wisconsin vs Florida State

The Seminoles defeat the Badgers . . . closing out a most disappointing season for Wisconsin.

In the end, Big 10 is 4 & 3 in post season play.

Go Gophers!!

The Big 10 Conference has 7 schools in post season play. Bowl games are often full of surprises and upsets, because of the long lay off between games (4-5 weeks), the return of injured players, focused and unfocused teams, as well player suspensions for myriad reasons. Will the Big 10 enjoy post season success or disappointment in the won-loss column?

Here are my predictions, one day after the bowl selections were announced:

ROSE Bowl: USC vs Penn State

USC will be and should be favored. Nevertheless, I expect a close contest as Joe Pa's charges will be well prepared and they play fundamentally sound football. USC wins in the fourth quarter.

FIESTA Bowl: Ohio State vs Texas

Texas's high octane offense will severely test the Buckeye defense, as the Longhorn defense shuts down OSU's offense. The Longhorns win going-away. I still believe Texas should be in the national championship game and will play with purpose and a chip on their shoulder.

CAPITAL ONE Bowl: Michigan State vs Georgia

Georgia's disappointing, underachieving season carries over to the bowl season. The Spartans win in a close one.

OUTBACK Bowl: Iowa vs South Carolina

For me, the easiest pick. Iowa's stout defense shuts down the Gamecocks and Shonn Greene enjoys another 100+ yard game. Kirk's preparation and the Hawks physical play wears down and defeats Spurrier's team. Iowa wins easily.

ALAMO Bowl: Northwestern vs Missouri

Mizzou scores a lot of points, but they also give up a ton. Pat Fitzgerald's Wildcats play sound football . . . not flashy, but error free ball. Northwestern beats the Missouri Tigers.

INSIGHT Bowl: Minnesota vs Kansas

Redemption is at hand, and the Gophers put the Iowa debacle behind them. The Gophers should be well rested and injury free, enough so to play inspired ball and end the season on the upside (ala the Music City Bowl Minnesota vs Arkansas). A bowl win will make for a short winter and excitement for spring ball. Minnesota defeats the Jayhawks in a close game (less than a touchdown).

CHAMPS Bowl: Wisconsin vs Florida State

The Seminoles defeat the Badgers . . . closing out a most disappointing season for Wisconsin.

In the end, Big 10 is 4 & 3 in post season play.

Go Gophers!!
i agree with them all. but even with a 4 to 3 W to L, the big ten will still be seen as a declining conference because of the high profile losses (psu and osu).

Top Bottom