Best Tailgate Equipment

mplsbadger

Reaction score
I've been looking at new tailgate equipment for TCF. I seldom tailgated at the dome but I think with the outdoor stadium, on campus experience, lack of beer in the stadium, and wanting to save a couple bucks on food to offset ticket donations, I will be tailgating before most games.

As far as rules go, my expectation is that we won't be allowed charcoal or glass. Does anyone know if we'll be allowed plastic bottles in addition to cans? Regarding the grills, my understanding is no charcoal is allowed but gas is o.k. Does anyone know if a 20 lb. propane tank is allowed with a grill?

I am looking at a Weber Q right now for a grill. I also saw a gas fire pit called the 'fire dancer' on Amazon for $100 that might be nice in November, but I don't think it would work with portable gas (it would need a 20 lb. tank).

:drink:

I found the following on the points site regarding the rules. Looks like plastic bottles and 20 lb. propane tank are o.k. No saving spaces? Good luck with that!

Tailgating Rules

The following items and activities are allowed in lots:

Gas grills with a maximum propane cylinder size of 20 pounds
Consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons of legal drinking age, and in compliance with all applicable state laws, city ordinances, and University policies
Portable outdoor furniture
Tents and awnings that do not block adjacent parking spaces, impede drive aisles, or require the use of stakes
Portable generators

The following items and activities are not allowed in lots:
Kegs, party balls, drinking game accessories, and large quantity or common source containers of alcoholic beverages
Glass containers of any kind, including bottles and cups
Open fires fueled by charcoal, wood, or other combustible materials of any kind
Disruptive music or noise
Couches or other large furniture items
Promotional or marketing activities without appropriate authorization from the University
Sale of products, food, or beverages except as authorized by the University
Occupying more than one parking space
Saving a parking space for someone else

Kegs, party balls, drinking game accessories, and large quantity or common source containers of alcoholic beverages
FUN
Promotional or marketing activities without appropriate authorization from the University

sorry you missed one.

google Freedom Grill

or there is a Coleman tailgating grill that is very nice and portable. Gopher tents can be found at Target in a couple of months. Cornhole boards can be built. If you have satellite set up is easy. Just buy an inverter and a Small Lcd or a large one.

I have a Weber Baby Q and I love it! It wasn't cheap, but you get a very high-quality grilling surface not found in most portable grills. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you pick one up.

Screw the Plastic Bottles...

Four steps to drinking Summit at your tailgate:
1. Open bottle in the trunk/back of vehicle.
2. Pour it into a Gold or Maroon cup.
3. Toss empty bottle into recylce bag.
4. Enjoy good beer.
:drink: :clap:

Four steps to drinking Summit at your tailgate:
1. Open bottle in the trunk/back of vehicle.
2. Pour it into a Gold or Maroon cup.
3. Toss empty bottle into recylce bag.
4. Enjoy good beer.
:drink: :clap:

I'm with you. I'll be consuming plenty of Summit this Fall along with some Schell's products as well (and occasionally Premium). I will bring glass bottles and just not have them out in the open. Anyone know where to order the maroon/gold cups?

Try Sensers

in Roseville when they have the Tim Brewster show. They serve beer in gold plastic cups that you can keep. At least they did last year.

I have a Weber Baby Q and I love it! It wasn't cheap, but you get a very high-quality grilling surface not found in most portable grills. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you pick one up.

It's a five star grill.

I've been looking at new tailgate equipment for TCF. I seldom tailgated at the dome but I think with the outdoor stadium, on campus experience, lack of beer in the stadium, and wanting to save a couple bucks on food to offset ticket donations, I will be tailgating before most games.

As far as rules go, my expectation is that we won't be allowed charcoal or glass. Does anyone know if we'll be allowed plastic bottles in addition to cans? Regarding the grills, my understanding is no charcoal is allowed but gas is o.k. Does anyone know if a 20 lb. propane tank is allowed with a grill?

I am looking at a Weber Q right now for a grill. I also saw a gas fire pit called the 'fire dancer' on Amazon for $100 that might be nice in November, but I don't think it would work with portable gas (it would need a 20 lb. tank).

You also need a tent, but get a quality one. Generally ones with U of MN logos are not the best quality. Quality ones also will have gear/add-ons like wind walls or a solid 4 sides. Dick's had a ton of Maroon tents last year for about 100. But when it is just cold or windy nothing is better than at least one wind wall. Especially if you are trying to put together a spread of food.

You also need a tent, but get a quality one. Generally ones with U of MN logos are not the best quality. Quality ones also will have gear/add-ons like wind walls or a solid 4 sides. Dick's had a ton of Maroon tents last year for about 100. But when it is just cold or windy nothing is better than at least one wind wall. Especially if you are trying to put together a spread of food.

Not true of the one my buddy picked up for me at Target last season. It's high quality, sturdy, easy to set up, can handle wind wall attachments, and has the logo. Good tent overall. I'll try to remember to find the name of the company that made it and post if for everyone.

If your just looking for maroon and gold cups with no lettering you can get those at a store that use to be called paper warehouse in Minnetonka. It is in the small mall across the street (Plymouth Rd.) from Ridgedale.

Party City

They have maroon & gold plates, cups, and silverware.

Try: Tailgater Magazine
Its a must have for the avid tailgater plus I never go to the can without it.

If you can get a weber Q or baby Q I used a WeberQ 220(w/ stand) the last two years with an adapter hose for a 20 lb tank and that 20 lbs tank was good for the whole season. I liked the 220 because of the temp gauge. You can also get a griddle attachment.

It is a little pricey, but very nice!

Just got a Weber Q 220. I am using it as my home gas grill too (I only had a Weber charcoal at home).

My review:
FOR TAILGATE
Pros
- Can use a small can of propane
- Gets hot enough to cook a wide variety of stuff
- A lot of room for a portable
- Has an open grill (some tailgate grills are not open - i.e. George Foreman style like cooking in a grill pan)
- The flip out table pieces are really cool (uncooked stuff on left, cooked stuff on right)
- Pretty easy clean up (disposable drip pans can be lined with foil for re-use)
- Quick cool down for storage in car (vs. charcoal which is not allowed anyway)
Cons
- Very expensive for a tailgate grill
- Available portable stand seemed flimsy at Sears. I'm thinking of using it table top with a trimmed to fit deck grill pad.
- A little big
- A little heavy
FOR HOME
Pros
- Price with stand was similar to a standard (smaller) home gas grill of comparable quality
- Has an electric start like most home grills
- Can cook with 20 lb. tank (with adapter sold separately)
- Is nice and sturdy and the right height with the permanent stand
- Gets hot enough to do a variety of stuff
- Tall lid can fit a chicken
- Has a temp gauge on the lid
Cons
- Single zone (1 burner)
- No shelf for doing buns, etc.
- No way to add stones, soaked wood chips, etc.
- No side burner

My advice: If you want it to do double duty or to serve a big tailgate crowd, buy this grill. If you have a smaller tailgate crowd and already have a home gas grill, consider the Weber Q 100 (formerly the miniQ) or another grill.

Badgergopher...It sounds like you are going to be all set this fall!!! I might have to stop over to check out your spread.

I found the following on the points site regarding the rules. Looks like plastic bottles and 20 lb. propane tank are o.k. No saving spaces? Good luck with that!

Tailgating Rules

The following items and activities are allowed in lots:

Gas grills with a maximum propane cylinder size of 20 pounds
Consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons of legal drinking age, and in compliance with all applicable state laws, city ordinances, and University policies
Portable outdoor furniture
Tents and awnings that do not block adjacent parking spaces, impede drive aisles, or require the use of stakes
Portable generators

It is really to bad that we cannot use charcoal grills or smokers, we are definitely missing out by not being able to use smokers for those racks of ribs. To bad the university is being so conservative and won't let us tailgate SEC style.

FUN

sorry you missed one.

Remember that these restrictions apply only to U lots. If a keg/beirut is a must, get a private lot or become friends with frat row.

The U may ease up after a year or two or simply might not enforce the rules unless you are out of control. I understand they probably don't want Channel 9 all over them from the first game - you know they are going to have their undercover cameras out in force.

Since somebody resurrected this thread allow me to say that I have bought a Coleman RoadTrip LXE grill since the start of this thread in may and have been quite pleased. Since I see somebody gave a run down on the WeberQ I guess I'll share some thoughts on the Coleman RoadTrip.

Like the WeberQ the RoadTrip uses the smaller 1lb bottle commonly used by propane lamps, which greatly cuts down on the hassle involved in lugging the normal big white jug. If you need to grill a ton you can always equip an adapter and take the big old jug, but I have never blown through one small bottle, even grilling all day for the Independence Day festivities.

The main feature of the RoadTrip is that it folds in a manner giving it the profile of a wheeled suitcase and being small enough to fit in a sedan's trunk. Popping the grill up is as easy as grabbing and pulling one side handle while stepping on the handle used to pull it along. As ATTF and GopherRock can attest I ain't exactly graceful and it is easy even for me so it passes the drinking and cooking tailgating simplicity test. It is well designed and I found it easier and much sturdier than the WeberQ stand. I really have enjoyed being able to take it out into a park and quickly set up be grill in a couple of minutes.

The deciding feature of the grill for me was its cooking versatility. It comes with two cooking zones, and two separate enameled cast iron grills, a feature a couple of years ago one only saw on top of the line grills. Further one or both of the grills can be swapped with a stove burner grate or cast iron griddle. I am a fan of the stove grate as the grill has enough stones to set a dutch oven on the stove burner and do some frying (mini donuts any one? or fries with that burger?) They also sell one big griddle to span both burners and let you set up your early gameday parking-lot breakfast operation.

Like the Weber Q this grill isn't exactly cheap. If you find it on sale it is still 125 to 150. I have used some of the 25 buck models you find in a grocery store around Memorial day though, and let me say you do get something for your money. Further for the same amount of grill surface area you need to go to the Weber Q 200 which is 90 bucks more expensive at home Depot. For those of you who need more grill there is a larger RoadTrip availible though I haven't seen it yet
9928-A60_500.jpg

I used a WeberQ for a school year back in 04-05 that my four roommates shared. I liked it as a convient and quick grill but it could be messy and ungainly on tailgating ventures. It did however hold up well to 4 college kids (drunks) using it every week if not every day for a school year rain or shine, which is probably a bit more mileage than was expected by its designers. But for the up coming college football tailgaiting season I am stoked to have the RoadTrip. [ and no this wasn't some horrible ad but since we are back on tailgating gear I had to give some love to my new toy]

It is really to bad that we cannot use charcoal grills or smokers, we are definitely missing out by not being able to use smokers for those racks of ribs. To bad the university is being so conservative and won't let us tailgate SEC style.

I agree whole heartedly about the charcoal smokers, but I don't recall too much decent 'que in the metrodome lots. If you haven't tried an electric smoker, it is worth a shot. It lacks the extra flavor note that you gain from the charcoal, but gives you 'tremendous' control over the heat for long periods that free from constant charcoal/wood monitoring and allows you to toss some bags and get your drink on. Plus you can make a decent one from an old barrel, gutted fridge, or big old ceramic planter coupled with a cheapo electric hot plate or two and a couple of pie plates. Set the pie pans up with chips and water like you would in a store bought smoking rig and figure out the heat you need to pump to get that pork butt cooking nice and low and slow and kick it back changing out your wood as it ashes over every hour or so.

Anyone tried a portable propane slow cooker? My wife thought it might be a good thing to have every now and then aside from grilling. We saw some not too long ago and I'm curious if they are any good.

Practical advice

I've gone with a small Weber gas (not the Q), and a Weber Smokey Joe over the years. We have a regular group of around 10-15 and frankly, anything in the smaller grills gets to be a lot of work unless you really like to spend your time cooking (I prefer to spend it drinking and socializing). Anyway about 2 years ago I went to buy myself the Q or Coleman fold up grill at Gander Mtn. While I was there, I let the old guy working there talk me into going with a Coleman Camp Stove/Grill. He said he'd owned one for years and that it still worked like a champ. One of the other guys we tailgate with had one too that was about 30 years old. So since it was a ton cheaper, I decided to go with it. I regretted it right up until I started using it. It is versatile enough to do lots with, burgers, brats or dogs on the grill or you can use the stove or grill for warming up pre-prepped items. My wife and I find it easier to get up at 5:00 and grill up a pork loin for BBQ pork sandwiches or steak and chicken for fajitas than it ever was to transport cold meat to the lot. We still do that once a year or so, but now we save a ton of trunk space and get a variety of meals to boot. Last year, we did jambalaya, fajitas, BBQ pork, burgers and brats and grilled pizza to name a few. Save yourself the trunk space and dollars IMO and go with a camp stove. It isn't as impressive to look at, but it is extremely utilitarian. Plus, it has a non-stick surface so it cleans up and stores away in about 5 minutes.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=9922-A50&categoryid=2010&brand=

One other idea from my stupid idea vault. Create a tailgate checklist. I whipped one up in excel and while it gets ripped on on a regular basis, I've never got to the lot and realized I was missing something. Good luck and happy tailgating.

p.s. the poster who referenced Tailgating Magazine is right, its a good read for ideas. If you spend 7+ hours in the lot outside of the game like I do, its always fun to have new things to try.

Top Bottom