Best rouser

wetgopherhole

Reaction score
I have had the good fortune to be present at the two best Minnesota rousers in the last decade: the tying/winning goal in the national championship hockey game in 2002 and the first rouser at the bank last saturday. There is no doubt that we have maybe the best rouser in all of college sports--classic, inspiring, involves the fans very well, etc...

what are some of the best rousers besides Minnesota's and some of the worst?

gotta count Michigan's "the victors" is a classic, and Iowa's is complete toilet...

I like that On Wisconsin was originally written as a entrant into the Minnesota state song competition. The story goes that the composer wasn't totally happy with it and gave it to a friend for Wisconsin while he wrote Hail Minnesota

On Wisconsin! is a well written piece and as much as I hate the Badgers, their band has done some great arranging with it over the years. I also really like Michigan State's fight song it sounds darker than most fight songs. I hate The Victors with a passion, go to one game at Michigan and you will never need or want to hear it again.

I like that On Wisconsin was originally written as a entrant into the Minnesota state song competition. The story goes that the composer wasn't totally happy with it and gave it to a friend for Wisconsin while he wrote Hail Minnesota

not exactly, hail! minnesota (1904) was written before the rouser (1909) and on wisconsin...was written as minnesota, minnesota and William T Purdy withdrew it from the minnesota rouser competition

Gopher rejects...haha

The MN Rouser is in serious need of an update. Still a great fight song but in my estimation, Minnesota March is much better.

The best school songs? The Univ. of Wyoming's Cowboy Joe generally ranks number one. Others would be UCLA's Sons of Westwood and Cal-Berekely's Sons of California. Both of these are the same song with slightly different arrangements. The Big Ten's best? By far would be MSU's Falcone Fight. As much as I agree with a previous posters comments about Hail to the Victors, if you listen to the entire song, it's a classic. The Minnesota Rouser would be hard-pressed to make the top three in the Big Ten.

Just my opinion.

The MN Rouser is in serious need of an update. Still a great fight song but in my estimation, Minnesota March is much better.

The Minnesota Rouser would be hard-pressed to make the top three in the Big Ten.

Dude, don't come on this board and say such stupid sh!t.

not exactly, hail! minnesota (1904) was written before the rouser (1909) and on wisconsin...was written as minnesota, minnesota and William T Purdy withdrew it from the minnesota rouser competition

Gopher rejects...haha

Iowa Troll, thanks for knowing so much about the Gophers, that makes all of us feel pretty special actually. To tell you the truth, I know zero about anything that has to do with the Hawkeyes, except that the people that go to the games have not much else going on in their lives except Iowa football. I try to stay away from places where masses of such low quality human beings congregate.

I love the rouser - the best part is the chant at the end which really gets on the nerves of other teams fans.

I love the rouser - the best part is the chant at the end which really gets on the nerves of other teams fans.

I love seeing opposing fans squirm when they've heard M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A multitudes of times (when we're scoring a lot).

The Rouser is perfect as it is. The Minnesota March is a fine song, but it's a marching song, and not a "rousing" song.

The last several nights, I've been singing my 2 year old to sleep with the Minnesota Rouser. Granted, I sing it more slowly and quietly. When I ask her what song she wants, she asks for "Goldy's song." Train them to be Gopher fans young.

The best school songs? The Univ. of Wyoming's Cowboy Joe generally ranks number one. Others would be UCLA's Sons of Westwood and Cal-Berekely's [sic] Sons of California. Both of these are the same song with slightly different arrangements. The Big Ten's best? By far would be MSU's Falcone Fight. As much as I agree with a previous posters comments about Hail to the Victors, if you listen to the entire song, it's a classic. The Minnesota Rouser would be hard-pressed to make the top three in the Big Ten.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for including "Sons of California" among the best rousers (which we call fight songs on the west coast). However, it is our third or fourth line song at Cal.

"Sons of Westwood" is actually a Hollywood re-arrangement of "Big 'C'", our most recognizable song, which was "appropriated" by the ucla band in the 1940's after their leader discovered that it had not been copyrighted.

"Fight for California" is also recognizable and is our official fight song, but alas, it is a variation of the "Lights Out March", which was written by an ROTC student at Illinois and adapted later (1906) at Cal.

Because our band is student funded, it will not be in Minneapolis in full force, but a scaled-down version, called the Straw Hat Band (for obvious reasons) will be there and hopefully you will have a chance to hear some our songs in person.

It sounds like both school's teams are on the upswing to try to recapture some long lost glory. I hope that we stay a bit ahead of Minnesota for now and that it is a great game.

Breakfast burritos and Bloody Marys here in California at 9:00 A.M. on Saturday.

Go Bears !!!

Iowa Troll, thanks for knowing so much about the Gophers, that makes all of us feel pretty special actually. To tell you the truth, I know zero about anything that has to do with the Hawkeyes, except that the people that go to the games have not much else going on in their lives except Iowa football. I try to stay away from places where masses of such low quality human beings congregate.

man, having a bad day are we? i grew up in minny and am gopher through and through--you might have noticed that i started the thread and also claimed that Iowa's fight song is complete toilet--

low quality human beings....well done sir.......

wow, hold up a mirror

The Rouser is one of the great ones. I just wish the band had some more power....some more brass! The days of "orchestras in motion" were 30 years ago.

I like the fight songs for Purdue, Wisconsin, and Florida State. Hail Minnesota is a great hymn. We should put more focus on Hail Minnesota. Sing it loud!

Top Bottom