Best College Football Schedule I Have Ever Seen

Why would that eliminate the bowl games? Unless you're one of the top 8 teams, you would still go to a bowl game.

It would eliminate the Rose Bowl. That's enough for me.

Since we seem to be well into this discussion, I have to admit, I think I'd be ok with a plus 1 after the BCS games, based on ranking, and doing away with the BCS Championship game as it exists now (so long as the bowl matchups are not seeded). This would preserve the tradition of the bigger bowls, and even take us a small step back to where we used to be, while at the same time giving a team like undefeated Boise State a chance to prove it can play with the big boys and get a quality win, therefore earning their way into a championship game.
I could probably be talked out of it, though.

If there were to ever be a playoff system, the plus 1 system is what will happen first for sure.

If we were to go to a playoffs system, this is how I would do it. Top 8 teams get in. First round is played in early December at the higher seeds place. The four teams that lose the first round games would still have a chance to go to a bowl game. The second round games would be bowl games as well. It would rotate between the BCS bowls now. For instance, this year the 2nd round games are the Fiesta Bowl and the Sugar Bowl. All the other bowls would still be intact. The Fiesta Bowl and Sugar Bowl would be played New Years Day. Then the National Championship would be a week or two afterwards. All the bowl games are still there. Everyone still makes their money. Fans still get to travel somewhere warm for the bowl games. The only biggest difference is that those eight teams that make the playoffs get extra revenue from the extra game.

Would this work? I have no idea. Will it ever happen? Probably not.

AMEN to that!
I love the NFL. I love watching the playoffs.
I love college football and its system as well.
The bowl games are fabulous, with wide-open play and excitement. It also gives teams like ours the chance to keep playing.
I'm convinced college football purists are against a playoff. (And NO, anyone who works for ESPN is NOT a purist, but a schill for the network that would be broadcasting such a money-making venture)
Hell, I'd go back to the old Bowl system rather then a playoff, except for maybe a plus-one. Even then often someone would have to "pick" a team so really, what's the point?

As for diluting the regular season, one needs look no farther then March Madness to answer that question. Every week in the football season teams and fans agonize over a loss or get giddy over a win.

When was the last time anyone really cared about a loss during the basketball season. Heck, except for fans of the two teams playing, how often do fans even care who's playing who during the regular season?

No team has won the mythical College Football Championship while losing more then twice.

North Carolina State was a great story but should a team that lost a third of it's games even have been playing for the title?

In College Basketball maybe, but Not in College Football!

No team has one the mythical College Football Championship will losing more then twice.

North Carolina State was a great story but should a team that lost a third of it's games even have been playing for the title?

In College Basketball maybe, but Not in College Football!

If I can discern your cryptic writing properly, you are insinuating that a team with 3 or 4 losses could win the national title. It's simply not true.

There are a great deal of cogent, coherent arguments both for and against a playoff. The fear of having a "mediocre" national champion is in no way, shape, or form a reasonable "con". It just isn't. Period.

If I can discern your cryptic writing properly, you are insinuating that a team with 3 or 4 losses could win the national title. It's simply not true.

There are a great deal of cogent, coherent arguments both for and against a playoff. The fear of having a "mediocre" national champion is in no way, shape, or form a reasonable "con". It just isn't. Period.

:banghead:

Well, most of the post referred to diluting the regular season but since two thoughts in a post made things a little cryptic:eek: for you how about this:

Most proposals for a 8 team playoff have included the Champions of the BCS Teams. It would be highly doubtful that any of the BCS Conferences would allow anything but that scenario. A number of 7,8 or 9 win teams have won their Conference and therefore there would be teams with 3-5 losses who could end-up playing for the Championship.

Not Stephen King like clear, but will that do?;)

:banghead:

Well, most of the post referred to diluting the regular season but since two thoughts in a post made things a little cryptic:eek: for you how about this:

Most proposals for a 8 team playoff have included the Champions of the BCS Teams. It would be highly doubtful that any of the BCS Conferences would allow anything but that scenario. A number of 7,8 or 9 win teams have won their Conference and therefore there would be teams with 3-5 losses who could end-up playing for the Championship.

Not Stephen King like but will that do?;)

I was trying to be nice, but since you've forced me to be overt, this is the cryptic part of your post:

"No team has one the mythical College Football Championship will losing more then twice."

What does that mean? Is that even English? Are you speaking on a walkie-talkie?

With an 8 team playoff you are still going to have at least 8-10 teams wondering why they didn't get in. And who's to say the #9 team couldn't win the championship?
Even in D-II (which I follow closely), there are many complaints about who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. And they take 24 teams.

I was trying to be nice, but since you've forced me to be overt, this is the cryptic part of your post:

"No team has won the mythical College Football Championship while losing more then twice."

What does that mean? Is that even English? Are you speaking on a walkie-talkie?

There; unfortunately Spell Check doesn't correct for my being an idiot !:clap::clap:

" Are you speaking on a walkie-talkie?" Now speaking of cryptic.....

There; unfortunately Spell Check doesn't correct for my being an idiot !:clap::clap:

" Are you speaking on a walkie-talkie?" Now speaking of cryptic.....

I don't typically concern myself with spelling on a message board, but when it makes the point of your sentence difficult to decipher, then it becomes a problem.

Also, if you're going to go to the trouble of correcting your posts, you should fix all the errors. Not just a couple of them.

I don't typically concern myself with spelling on a message board, but when it makes the point of your sentence difficult to decipher, then it becomes a problem.

Also, if you're going to go to the trouble of correcting your posts, you should fix all the errors. Not just a couple of them.

Then you might want to go and delete this:.. The fear of having a "mediocre" national champion is in no way, shape, or form a reasonable "con". It just isn't. Period.

Then you might want to go and delete this:.. The fear of having a "mediocre" national champion is in no way, shape, or form a reasonable "con". It just isn't. Period.

Feel free to point out all the spelling errors in that sentence.

I thought that was implied, since I earlier referenced spelling in that post, but I guess I need to spell everything out to account for idiocy. Point noted.

Feel free to point out all the spelling errors in that sentence.

I thought that was implied, since I earlier referenced spelling in that post, but I guess I need to spell everything out to account for idiocy. Point noted.

It's the thought not the spelling that is in error..

Can anyone confirm that since I am in Des Moines, I will be getting the game on ESPN HD as opposed to ABC HD?

Interesting to consider this bonanza against the days, back in the fifties and sixties, when only one game or two were televised at all, and they were chosen pre-season! I love it this way, with bonus games on week nights...free enterprise serves football well!

Glad to see I'm not the only anti-playoff guy on GHole!

College Football is God's sport. We have the greatest and most meaningful regular season around. Why monkey with it?

Glad to see I'm not the only anti-playoff guy on GHole!

College Football is God's sport. We have the greatest and most meaningful regular season around. Why monkey with it?

preach the good word, Brother Zeppelin!

Top Bottom