Bench energy and Gabe’s Contact prescription

I know I am in the minority but I want Gabe to keep shooting open 3's. What I really want to see is him taking it to the hoop 3-4 times a contest. Didn't happen against the Twerps. His ID is a solid defender and a 3 point shooter which is what RP expects from him.
The problem is that Gabe not only is shooting 22% from 3 on 82 shots, he also shoots only 42% on 2 point attempts (mostly layup attempts) and that is abysmal. We need more offensive movement and that will start with Carr moving the ball around early in the clock. If we get that, everyone will shoot better shots and make more of them. I think we had 3 perimeter shots blocked against Maryland. If you get an outside shot blocked with more than 3 seconds left on the shot clock you should be benched.

The problem is that Gabe not only is shooting 22% from 3 on 82 shots, he also shoots only 42% on 2 point attempts (mostly layup attempts) and that is abysmal. We need more offensive movement and that will start with Carr moving the ball around early in the clock. If we get that, everyone will shoot better shots and make more of them. I think we had 3 perimeter shots blocked against Maryland. If you get an outside shot blocked with more than 3 seconds left on the shot clock you should be benched.
Good points ... I went back and watch a replay and 2 of Gabe's 3-point attempts were with the shot clock under 5 seconds. He did have 2 other looks that were open looks. As for the layup attempts, the wings have been told to attack and those look forced as well. Gabe and Both had their layups blocked in the game as well.

Don't say something like this unless you can back it up. How do you know this? You don't have to name names but rumors like this unless having some substantiation are not good.

After the baseless garbage you peddled for months on the OTB, you have the gall to lecture someone else about this?

Damned if he shoots and damned if he doesn't. They have to take the open looks, even from 3 land.

This is a no win situation unless all of a sudden Gabe and others become scorers rather than just shooters and RP becomes a better coach.

I keep on saying that RP needs to put in set plays, or motion series for our best shooter(s)/guards & wings that will take advantage of the other teams weakness's. Then the low post can open up.

Watch Gabe play D. He is constantly fighting through screens, one right after the other. He never gets a breather as the other team is constantly working to get his man open. Purdue will wear him out. Marcus is never put on the wing and allowed to benefit from back screens, double screens, shuffle cuts, etc that will get him open for a 3 or a quick opportunity to slash to the hoop. He works off Robbins high pick and then tries to figure out how to get through the maze of humanity in the lane and throw up a hope and prayer. Its amazing that he does as well as he does.

How many hi/lows do we see a game? Weakside clear out? Liam must establish position down low rather than 8-10 feet from the hoop. Run 1/4 high sets, screens and motion and weakside opps.

I have watched Purdue a couple times this year and Painter has his guys on the move, slash and both bigs can be a handful. Wishful to think that could be our team.

Enough of my rambling.

After the baseless garbage you peddled for months on the OTB, you have the gall to lecture someone else about this?
The things that you say were baseless garbage were true then and they are true now. I don't control justice or the media. I just tell the truth. You should give it a try. Adios.

Haha, well we've found our early leader for 2021. What a douche, cj:

dbag.jpg

The things that you say were baseless garbage were true then and they are true now. I don't control justice or the media. I just tell the truth. You should give it a try. Adios.

You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you in the ass.

A lot of his 3's have been just short or rimmed out. There have been a few ugly ones and airballs. That might be a good sign. You have to think he'll at least have one monster night where he makes 8 3's. Hopefully, Saturday. Gabe is our X-Factor. If he breaks we can be a top-3 caliber conference team in the BIG.

On his radio show, Pitino said that they went back to the fundamentals of driving, passing, catching, and shot selection ... on the offense after the Maryland loss, "if we're going to play like that we have zero chance".

Also said they are better shooters than they've shown ...

Wonder if we're going to see a change in the offense tomorrow ... not easy changing mid-season.

I've noticed they have become a little almost lazy at times when they pass the ball around the perimeter on offense, those passes need to be crisp. A lot of defenders are just waiting for a relaxed pass back to the top of the key from the wing. The wing gets it, looks into the post, it's not there, then they go to pass it back to the top without even checking for a defender!!

Really lame attempt at an insult. Is it too much to ask for you to display at least some talent for once in your life?

Keep otb comments on that board. It's not an insult- you are a douche.

I've noticed they have become a little almost lazy at times when they pass the ball around the perimeter on offense, those passes need to be crisp. A lot of defenders are just waiting for a relaxed pass back to the top of the key from the wing. The wing gets it, looks into the post, it's not there, then they go to pass it back to the top without even checking for a defender!!
Poor fundamentals is a death sentence for winning.

OK. I get it. In your world, anyone you disagree with is dumb.

Talk about stupid!

No, I'm talking about facts. If you want to exist in a fact free world, that's your choice but I'm not cooperating.

. You have to think he'll at least have one monster night where he makes 8 3's.
Having one monster night does very little for the team.

The goal is to be consistently better than the other guys.

Laying bricks for 27 games, and drilling 8 threes for one, is EXACTLY the problem, not some redeeming goal.

On his radio show, Pitino said that they went back to the fundamentals of driving, passing, catching, and shot selection ... on the offense after the Maryland loss, "if we're going to play like that we have zero chance".

Also said they are better shooters than they've shown ...

Wonder if we're going to see a change in the offense tomorrow ... not easy changing mid-season.
I think it's just a matter of executing the offense they already have and which they've executed well at times this year. Pitino said it well in his postgame remarks to his team after the Michigan game: Can you do this consistently? The team responded with a resounding 'no' in their next game.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: every Big Ten team has been crazily inconsistent this year. It'll be the least inconsistent teams who'll put themselves in a good position.

Top Bottom