Ben Simmons blasts 'messed up' NCAA: 'The players get nothing'

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
For the new crop of one-and-done talents in college basketball, academics are "pointless," according to Philadelphia 76ers rookie star Ben Simmons.

In his new documentary, the former LSU star blames the organization for "wasting" his lone year of college by asking him to attend class.

"The NCAA is really f---ed up," Simmons said on "One and Done," a film that will air on Showtime on Friday night. "Everybody's making money except the players. We're the ones waking up early as hell to be the best teams and do everything they want us to do and then the players get nothing. They say education, but if I'm there for a year, I can't get much education."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17945257/ben-simmons-blasts-messed-ncaa-film-says-players-get-nothing

I think these over the top statements are hurting the argument just as much as helping. Just like Hayes saying they are broke athletes.

"If you get a kid who's a child prodigy and plays the violin amazingly, no one's saying to them you must go to college for a year before you join the Philharmonic orchestra," Julie Simmons said in the film.

1. Then the anger should be towards the NBA. The NCAA doesn't make these rules
2. No one has ever said you have to go to college. If you're good enough, he could have gone anywhere. He chose college, he wasn't forced to go there.

Says the kid who hardly ever went to class.

He got to showcase his skills while paying little attention to the classroom. He got exactly what he wanted out of/put into his college experience.

I think these over the top statements are hurting the argument just as much as helping. Just like Hayes saying they are broke athletes.

2. No one has ever said you have to go to college. If you're good enough, he could have gone anywhere. He chose college, he wasn't forced to go there.

He could have gone the Brandon Jennings route.

Of course playing only 15 min/game for Barcelona, or Maccabi Tel Aviv would have garnered as much attention as playing 30+ minutes for a bad LSU team.

He could have gone the Brandon Jennings route.

Of course playing only 15 min/game for Barcelona, or Maccabi Tel Aviv would have garnered as much attention as playing 30+ minutes for a bad LSU team.

Also would have earned him some money.

Complaining about not getting an education and leaving after one year. Sounds like Ben should have stayed in college if that was going to be an issue.

And not going to class for part of that time.

Agreed. As much as the "one and done" is frustrating for most of college basketball, it is not a college basketball issue. It is an NBA issue. Has anyone sued the NBA yet for denying an adult the right to play if he is qualified? Surprising if not.

For as much bellyaching as there is about these issues, only a small percentage of D-I basketball players ever actually play for money. For the vast majority of them, Ben Simmons excluded, getting a college education in exchange for playing basketball is a pretty good deal.

I agree. Don't go to college if you don't want to. I like the NBA rule for the NBA. It was having problems because 18 year old's with worlds of talent but no discipline or learned skill were watering down the product. So older rookies are better for the NBA. On the other hand, one and done's are still bad for the NCAA. I just don't think the quality of play is anywhere near what it was 30 years ago (but I bet we all believe that as we get older). Bottom line, don't go to college if you think it is exploiting you. Go prove yourself somewhere else.

There is one big advantage for more mature 18 year-olds to go play in Europe:

Practicing against older, stronger players.

So, he wants to play college basketball, get paid, and not go to class.

I want a beach front cottage, free maid service, and prepared meals every day.

I'd say we are about even on the reality scale.

So, he wants to play college basketball, get paid, and not go to class.

I want a beach front cottage, free maid service, and prepared meals every day.

I'd say we are about even on the reality scale.

We definitely need a like button:clap:

Lol poor Ben had the uviversity gift him a year od education and skill development and wants to whine about it now. Nobody forced him to leave early or to not go to his classes.

Agreed. As much as the "one and done" is frustrating for most of college basketball, it is not a college basketball issue. It is an NBA issue. Has anyone sued the NBA yet for denying an adult the right to play if he is qualified? Surprising if not.

For as much bellyaching as there is about these issues, only a small percentage of D-I basketball players ever actually play for money. For the vast majority of them, Ben Simmons excluded, getting a college education in exchange for playing basketball is a pretty good deal.

I think the NFL cases supporting the age restrictions in the NFL are precedent enough to prevent nearly everyone from trying this route... though I'm not a lawyer and never will be so someone else could correct me.

Good article here about the situation: [video]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ben-simmons-year-at-lsu-shows-the-worst-of-the-one-and-done-system-015402189.html[/video]

Top Bottom