Ben Johnson Press Conference - Summer Update + Player Interviews

Somebody ask him about plans for the final scholarship.

They did...he dodged it..."Gotta be the right fit" "We'll see" etc
That answer provided more information than we had before the question!
The "right fit" is a big wing!

Last edited:

“I think we have the ability to ahhh, add one more”.
They must have some NIL money left.
Find another guy.

Great guys. The best part about Ben is he is recruiting high character guys. I hope it pays off in wins. I like what Mitchell said about Asuma- "he's really good and he's getting it"

I see the excitement is high right now. We have one of the most experienced rosters in basketball, so I hope that pays off in a competitive team on the floor.

watching the whole presser, I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but Johnson sure made it feel as if MN had very little NIL available. kept talking about players going elsewhere for more money - Garcia could have gone elsewhere for more money.

and to me, that just screams out for someone in the media to ask a direct question:
"how much NIL does the program have available?"
"do you have any NIL still available if you wanted to add another player?" and so forth.

another question I was waiting for on Mike Mitchell - "how will your role on the team change with Hawkins leaving?" "Will you be handling the ball more?"

maybe I expect too much, but it all seemed pretty vanilla to me.

I see the excitement is high right now. We have one of the most experienced rosters in basketball, so I hope that pays off in a competitive team on the floor.
Not sure I agree about the excitement comment but we definitely have an extremely experienced roster. Hopefully that makes it easy for the guys to gel quickly similar to how the first team did.

Good mix of front and back court players.....hopefully it comes together and translates to success on the court.

watching the whole presser, I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but Johnson sure made it feel as if MN had very little NIL available. kept talking about players going elsewhere for more money - Garcia could have gone elsewhere for more money.

and to me, that just screams out for someone in the media to ask a direct question:
"how much NIL does the program have available?"
"do you have any NIL still available if you wanted to add another player?" and so forth.

another question I was waiting for on Mike Mitchell - "how will your role on the team change with Hawkins leaving?" "Will you be handling the ball more?"

maybe I expect too much, but it all seemed pretty vanilla to me.
100% right. Media in this town seem to never ask the next question. You have 30 minutes with the coach, I want to hear a minute on each new player and how they fit. What should we expect from Betts? What kind of tempo might we play with Lucye as compared with Hawkins? What kind of player is Odukale? We had problems on defense last year, is that going to be the identity this coming year with the new players? Can this team compete for an NCAA berth? What is the goal?
Can the combination of the 2 new bigs give us what Payne gave us? Where does Rigsby fit in? Can Asuma reach the level that Cam did in his first year, perhaps in a different way? What should we expect from Grove?

Not sure I agree about the excitement comment but we definitely have an extremely experienced roster. Hopefully that makes it easy for the guys to gel quickly similar to how the first team did.

Good mix of front and back court players.....hopefully it comes together and translates to success on the court.
Think it’s very experienced, (newcomers being seniors, except for Mitchell) is because of the NIL
If they get a guy and he turns out to be a bum, it’s a one year deal. Agree with doing it that way.

100% right. Media in this town seem to never ask the next question. You have 30 minutes with the coach, I want to hear a minute on each new player and how they fit. What should we expect from Betts? What kind of tempo might we play with Lucye as compared with Hawkins? What kind of player is Odukale? We had problems on defense last year, is that going to be the identity this coming year with the new players? Can this team compete for an NCAA berth? What is the goal?
Can the combination of the 2 new bigs give us what Payne gave us? Where does Rigsby fit in? Can Asuma reach the level that Cam did in his first year, perhaps in a different way? What should we expect from Grove?
Doogie is as Doogie does

It is terrible!
We should all commit suicide.
You go first!
LIGHTEN UP!
IT'S A BLEEPING BASKETBALL TEAM!!
I was looking forward to next year with the team we had all returning. It's you guys who kept bringing up Ben's first 2 years.

So I'm surprised now that you're letting Ben's comment slide. The very first thing out of his mouth was that it's back to Year 1.

I was looking forward to next year with the team we had all returning. It's you guys who kept bringing up Ben's first 2 years.

So I'm surprised now that you're letting Ben's comment slide. The very first thing out of his mouth was that it's back to Year 1.
"Back to year one" could mean a bunch of energetic, veteran transfers from everywhere who are excited to be Gophers and who play well together.

"Back to year one" could mean a bunch of energetic, veteran transfers from everywhere who are excited to be Gophers and who play well together.
Could mean.

But I'm surprised you guys let that comment slide. You're negative when you should be positive...and then you're positive when you should be negative. LOL but serious.

Top Bottom