Belleville News Democrat: Loyalty to a coach led East St. Louis QB to Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Belleville News Democrat:

East St. Louis senior Reyondous Estes was never really sold on Western Michigan or Missouri, even though he gave both his verbal commitment to be their quarterback of the future.

But he was all in on coach P.J. Fleck from the start.

When Fleck announced Jan. 6 that he accepted the position of head coach at Minnesota, Estes knew that’s where he wanted to be.

“I felt like he was the coach that stuck it out with me from the beginning and was the one that fell in love with me first,” said Estes. “The feelings were mutual from the beginning.”

Estes joined six of his teammates on stage at the East St. Louis Senior High School auditorium Tuesday to make his college choice official. Wide receiver Jeff Thomas signed his national letter of intent to the University of Miami on a live broadcast by ESPN. Linebacker James Knight, who will attend Illinois, was the other Division I signing.

It was Fleck who lured Estes’ verbal commitment to Western Michigan in the first place. And it was Fleck’s departure that gave Estes second thoughts.

Missouri? That was Estes’ standby until he knew for sure that Fleck wanted him in Minneapolis.

“Coach Fleck has a hold on me. He brings energy and I bring energy,” said Estes. “As long as we’re clicking and he keeps the bond that we have ... it’s been tremendous.”

http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article130140189.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom