Beer at TCF Bank Stadium for non-university sponsored events

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Okay, apology in advance because I get tired of the endless line of threads related to booze in TCF and here I am posting one. Perhaps it is because I generally avoid them is the reason I am asking the following questions. If this has been spelled out here before and I missed it... sorry about that too.

It is my understanding that the legislature has created an environment where the University can sell booze, as long as it is to everyone in the stadium that is of-age. It is well understood that the University doesn't want to sell booze at Gopher games (and I'm not suggesting digging up that debate again). There is the precident where most on-campus facilities around the country do not sell booze because of the large numbers of students at university-connected events. I get all of that.

What I don't understand is why the University also insists in maintaining the dry stadium during non-university events. For example, the U2 concert didn't have a college "feel" to it at all - it was a rock concert. I also keep hearing that the winter classic likely wouldn't be held at TCF because there wouldn't be booze available at an NHL game.

Why wouldn't it be easy to draw a line between university-events, and non-university events held at the stadium? Sell booze for a U2 concert in July, but don't sell booze at a homecoming concert in October... and of course all Gopher football games. It seems simple to me but I'm just a regular guy with a question, sitting at a keyboard.

Is the Signing Social a non-university event? How do they get away with selling booze there?

How many non-university sponsored events take place at TCF year-round, though? Obviously, the discussion would change if the Vikings end up playing there for a couple years, but to me I think the question would have to be: is it worth it? Repeated setup and maintenance of equipment (kegs, taps, signage, etc.) would have to be quite tedious.

There are a lot of questions that float around from this though. There's a lot of money to be made from alcohol sales. Yours is a good question as far as I'm concerned, I'm just not sure how much thought the University has already put into this concept.

As long as the legislature is dictating the U's alcohol policy, I wouldn't expect the U to allow alcohol to be served when the stadium is being rented.

The Mac Center has booze for sale on football gamedays. Does the Goal Line Club or other organizations sponsor/host to get approval for these booze related events?

This is the perfect situation for the U to get the alcohol policy they want.
They shouldn't let the Vikings serve alcohol in the stadium unless the legislature allows them to sell alcohol how they want at all events.

This is the perfect situation for the U to get the alcohol policy they want.
They shouldn't let the Vikings serve alcohol in the stadium unless the legislature allows them to sell alcohol how they want at all events.

+19. This makes the most sense, but it is the state legislature we are talking about.

The Mcnamara Alumni Center while it appears to look like it is on campus is actually not on campus property. Second the liquor license at th Alumni Center belongs to D'Amico & Sons who run the food and beverage in the Mcnamara. The University does not have any ties to the events run prior to the start of the football games on Saturdays as far as the food and beverage is concern. When the Cardinals played at Arizona State University's Sun Devil Stadium the games there were also dry, so I do not see TCF Bank allowing beer sales during Viking games even if its a 'non-university sponsored event'

When the Cardinals played at Arizona State University's Sun Devil Stadium the games there were also dry, so I do not see TCF Bank allowing beer sales during Viking games even if its a 'non-university sponsored event'

I don't see it either. I'm just wondering why it is that way. It would seem logical to me to sell booze at U2 concerts, Vikings games, Wild games etc. if they are held at TCF.

It also seems logical to me to NOT sell booze in the stands at Gopher games, high school games, college sponsored events where the crowd is mostly populated with UofM students, etc...

I don't see it either. I'm just wondering why it is that way. It would seem logical to me to sell booze at U2 concerts, Vikings games, Wild games etc. if they are held at TCF.

It also seems logical to me to NOT sell booze in the stands at Gopher games, high school games, college sponsored events where the crowd is mostly populated with UofM students, etc...

The whole disaster that is the Minnesota State legislature will reverse the law this upcoming session and allow thew University to have the say on where when and to whom booze will be sold. Too bad it cost millions in lost revenue to this point.

Someone asked this question and it was never answered: Why is there booze served as the Signing Day Social held in the DQ lounge in TCF? Attended last year and bought a couple of beers.

I think the other issue is that I believe they don't have taps there now. So even if they were able to/wanted to I don't think they can serve in GA at this time. Don't have link, just recall reading that. Obviously since they planned to serve it in the premium seats the DQ club has the taps available.

It has been stated before and it continues to be true. The answer is Beer Gardens on the top level of the Gopher's Stadium. Nobody walks in without an ID, and nobody walks out with a beer in their hand. That will allow beer to be sold in the suites. It is going to happen sooner or later in college football. Why not sooner?

In this age of increasing costs for higher education and decreasing subsidies from state legislatures for public universities, there is just too much money at stake for it not to happen

Someone asked this question and it was never answered: Why is there booze served as the Signing Day Social held in the DQ lounge in TCF? Attended last year and bought a couple of beers.

Good question. I know that it isn't keg beer, its just bottles of beer. Maybe its a temporary liquor license of some sort?
They also have that Food and Wine party every year up in the DQ club room. Tons of wine being consumed.

Good question. I know that it isn't keg beer, its just bottles of beer. Maybe its a temporary liquor license of some sort?
They also have that Food and Wine party every year up in the DQ club room. Tons of wine being consumed.
They also do wedding receptions and the like.

I don't see any evidence of a move to beer gardens in college football.

They also sell beer and wine in Coffman up on the third floor. I don't know if it's the University or someone else that is selling it, but it's definitely on campus.

The goal line club serves alchohol in Williams Arena before football games, do they not?

U of Illinois apparently sold beer for Bears games in the stadium when they were on campus. After reading a bit more, I would think a similar deal would be struck here if the Vikings play in TCF...

I think what the U will do, and what they should do, if the Vikes have to play at TCF is say, "No alcohol sales allowed in the stadium unless the legislature ammends the law to make it the sole decision of the University.

I think what the U will do, and what they should do, if the Vikes have to play at TCF is say, "No alcohol sales allowed in the stadium unless the legislature ammends the law to make it the sole decision of the University.

I am guessing the same thing. I wonder if the state will pay for the losses of the Vikings potentially playing three years in TCF Bank Stadium?

+1. this is how is should be right now anyways. the current "law" on the books regarding this is a bunch of faux-populism crap dreamed up by idiotic, pandering legislators at the 11th hour.

U of Illinois apparently sold beer for Bears games in the stadium when they were on campus. After reading a bit more, I would think a similar deal would be struck here if the Vikings play in TCF...

that would be a bunch of b.s., imo. it would be a sweet heart deal for the vikings and their rubes. but the U of M would still be stuck in a revenue impacting bind and competitive disadvantage compared to pro teams in the city when it comes to premium seating sales and the ability to offer alcohol as part of those packages. the U of M regents need to be the sole deciders of where beer is sold in on-campus sports facilities and no one else. they better not give the vikings a good deal just because they would be playing at TCF Stadium temporarily and continue to screw over the U of M and the U of M athletic department.

that would be a bunch of b.s., imo. it would be a sweet heart deal for the vikings and their rubes. but the U of M would still be stuck in a revenue impacting bind and competitive disadvantage compared to pro teams in the city when it comes to premium seating sales and the ability to offer alcohol as part of those packages. the U of M regents need to be the sole deciders of where beer is sold in on-campus sports facilities and no one else. they better not give the vikings a good deal just because they would be playing at TCF Stadium temporarily and continue to screw over the U of M and the U of M athletic department.
Good revenue for the 3 years worth of Vikings games. But I do agree that overall, getting Regent control back should be a priority.

Good revenue for the 3 years worth of Vikings games. But I do agree that overall, getting Regent control back should be a priority.

And let's just ignore the fact that the Board of Regents are appointed by politicians elected by voters who are Vikings fans. And we now have a Republican politician who actually sites on the Board of Regents (Steve Sviggum).

Top Bottom