Beal and Medical Hardship Waiver

Fuzzy Rumpton

Reaction score
Curious about Beal possibly applying for a Medical Hardship Waiver to get a sixth year since I'm assuming he may not be ready to go at all next season. I believe he is already a grad student and am not sure on how many semesters he has until his degree is finished. Does anybody know if this has been or is going to be applied for?

At this point with three Injuries to the same knee it's more likely he goes on a medical scholarship and ends his football career.

He already has six years if he wants them/is able to use them. 2008-2013.

Even if he could get a seventh year, I can't imagine he'd do it. If he isn't ready to play next fall I imagine he hangs it up.

He already has six years if he wants them/is able to use them. 2008-2013.

Correct.

This is a cool kid with a very cool dad. I would tell him to hang in there, someway it will work out.

At this point one year not marred by injury would mean the world to this kid.

Tough kid, but he should walk away while he can still walk. He's going to be limping around the way it is when he turns 40.

Time to hang it up...he has his degree and is well on his way to a graduate degree. 3 times is the charm.

My guess is that if he tried to play again his knee would probably be symptomatic and limit his ability to play. He is already looking at having significant arthritis before he is 40. Playing would undoubtedley accelerate that time table.

Tough kid, but he should walk away while he can still walk. He's going to be limping around the way it is when he turns 40.

The moment you decide to play after high school you make the decision to deal with pain later in life. It needs to be worth while....leave on your own terms.

Time to hang it up...he has his degree and is well on his way to a graduate degree. 3 times is the charm.

He may decide he has had enough. He may be encouraged to decide he has enough (scholarship to another player). I selfishly hopes he gives it one more shot so I can root for him.

My guess is that if he tried to play again his knee would probably be symptomatic and limit his ability to play. He is already looking at having significant arthritis before he is 40. Playing would undoubtedley accelerate that time table.

Your thinking from a practical stand point. If football players thought that way they/we would never play the game in the first place. Who would play a game that causes pain and ailment now AND later in life?

The moment you decide to play after high school you make the decision to deal with pain later in life. It needs to be worth while....leave on your own terms.
Not entirely true. The probability is there no doubt, but it's not a rule. Still, 3 serious knee injuries? This story is over. Good luck, Brendan. Take your work ethic, toughness and character and apply it to the next goal in your life and you will find great success.

There is huge difference between a healthy high school player choosing to play college football and a player at the end of his troubled college career with now 3 knee surgeries possibly considering another try. Some college football players walk away with limited problems and some have chronic pain. There is no absolute certainty as to what you will end up with. Athletes of many stripes-football, hockey, wrestlers, runners decide the gratification from sports is worth the risk of injury and even disability including orthopedic problems and brain/spinal injuries. Football is by far the most violent and serious injury prone but thousands choose football and the risk the injuries for the fun, thrills and fulfillment-to answer your question.

I know plenty of guys that have had 4-5 ACLs split between both knees doing what they love...none of them give it up.

"Do I retire to golf the rest of my life or do what I love while I can." Not sure I'd do the same.

Curt Phillips tore the same one three times and now through a confluence of unexpected events will start the Rose Bowl. If he wants to stick with it I say go for it!

Curt Phillips tore the same one three times and now through a confluence of unexpected events will start the Rose Bowl. If he wants to stick with it I say go for it!

It is easy to say"go for it" when you are young and caught up in the moment. Most college players with serious injuries do not have the opportunity Phillips has. They are obscure players known only to hardcore fans and fade from memory in no time. Only when you have had to experience chronic pain; pain that wakes you up every night and limits your chance to do many things would you understand. Would those memories be worth it? Curt Warner, amongst others, has said he would not want his kids to play football. To each there own-but Beal my pay a hell of a price for not so much.

It is easy to say"go for it" when you are young and caught up in the moment. Most college players with serious injuries do not have the opportunity Phillips has. They are obscure players known only to hardcore fans and fade from memory in no time. Only when you have had to experience chronic pain; pain that wakes you up every night and limits your chance to do many things would you understand. Would those memories be worth it? Curt Warner, amongst others, has said he would not want his kids to play football. To each there own-but Beal my pay a hell of a price for not so much.

I think everyone acknowledges that Beal will probably pay for his decision to continue playing football. His knees will not be in good shape 20-30 years from now. I think some people are just saying that the idea of "well, he should hang it up" is his decision and his decision alone.

If Beal can play again, he will likely have a significant role on our team (assuming that he can play and the scholarship stuff pans out). He'll get a lot of snaps.

Good points. I heard an interview with Matt Blair several years ago and was surprised that he'd had both knees replaced by about age 50. I think Bob said it well, it's his decision.

Top Bottom