Be totally honest here:

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
How many years until the Gophers play in any New Years Day (or better) game? Capitol One, Rose, etc...

I'll go with 9 years from now, the 2019 season.

Thoughts?

I don't know. That's the only really honest answer there is.

Minimum: 2 years
Maximum: I don't want to talk about it.

Sorry, but this topic is completely bunk.

There is absolutely no way of knowing, and pretty much any answer is going to be met with criticism from both the optimists and the pessimists. No offense, but I think we can do better things with our time.

This is like asking "when do you think the first 5+" snowfall will be this winter"

How many years until the Gophers play in any New Years Day (or better) game? Capitol One, Rose, etc...

Thoughts?

Why is a NYD Bowl the measuring stick of success?

At least 10 years before Wisconsin wins a National Championship.

At least 10 years before Wisconsin wins a National Championship.

Great answer.

But wait, haven't you heard? They won a pair of games because their opponent missed an extra point but NOW they're the best team in the Big Ten. Ummm.... yeah, okay...

Why is a NYD Bowl the measuring stick of success?

One NYD bowl isn't a real success (hard to say as a gophers fan) but constantly going to them shows you are an upper tier team in your conference. For all improvement Glen Mason brought to the program how many NYD Bowl games did his teams play in?

One NYD bowl isn't a real success (hard to say as a gophers fan) but constantly going to them shows you are an upper tier team in your conference. For all improvement Glen Mason brought to the program how many NYD Bowl games did his teams play in?

Oh, okay. So the OP isn't trolling by defining this as success just because the Badger went to 4 NYD bowl games in 6 years?

Badger fans used to say success was going to the Rose Bowl. What happened to that? Oh yeah... they haven't been in over a decade now- so they lowered the bar.

Oh, okay. So the OP isn't trolling by defining this as success just because the Badger went to 4 NYD bowl games in 6 years?

Badger fans used to say success was going to the Rose Bowl. What happened to that? Oh yeah... they haven't been in over a decade now- so they lowered the bar.

Maybe they did or maybe they are still delusional. I don't pay close enough attention to know which of the badgergopher names on here are trolls and which ones aren't (I'm sure they all are). But if in five years the gophers will have gone to a NYD bowl or two and been in contention (Championship game) for a trip to Pasadena I would consider that success regardless of what Badger fans think.

Actually, with the new Big 10 Bowl line-up, 5 of the 8 games are on NY Day and one more on NYE. It won't be that hard anymore, nor will it quite have the cachet as in the past. Personally, I don't like it, because I like to watch all the Big 10 Bowls and now most of them conflict with each other.

The Insight Bowl and the Gator Bowl are now 4/5 in the lineup, too.

I just think we need to change the vernacular from "New Year's Bowl Game" to "Top 4 finish"

Longer then it takes Bielema to get another Madison Coed pregnant.....

Sorry, but this topic is completely bunk.

There is absolutely no way of knowing, and pretty much any answer is going to be met with criticism from both the optimists and the pessimists. No offense, but I think we can do better things with our time.

Agreed.

I don't think very long. Brewster was talking Rose Bowl when he got here. I was thinking by Brewster's fourth or fifth year we should get there. If we don't make it to the Rose Bowl this year, then defientely next year.

Can you imagine a double digit win season? Think of the programs we will have to beat once we switch to divisions next year. While nothing is "impossible", this is pretty damn close.

Thoughts?

We won't be going to any bowl games until you finally decide if you are a Gopherman or a Badgerman.:D

Can you imagine a double digit win season? Think of the programs we will have to beat once we switch to divisions next year. While nothing is "impossible", this is pretty damn close.

No, it is not. There is no reason to think that the next coach will not turn this into a team that can win 10+ games. Difficult, sure, most teams don't win 10+ games in a given season. Near impossible, absolutely not.

No, it is not. There is no reason to think that the next coach will not turn this into a team that can win 10+ games. Difficult, sure, most teams don't win 10+ games in a given season. Near impossible, absolutely not.

I can think of 40 years worth of reasons.

I think a new coach could potentially get us to the level of middling, but if you think we can ever finish above Iowa or Nebraska you're nuts. At least for the foreseeable future.

I think a new coach could potentially get us to the level of middling, but if you think we can ever finish above Iowa or Nebraska you're nuts. At least for the foreseeable future.

Win 4 OOC games, go 5-3 in BT, win bowl game. Not easy, won't happen every year but not even close to impossible (as Mase proved).

No, the last 40 years are not reasons. Those players and those coaches are gone. Iowa was not always good. Wisconsin was not always good. What happened? They hired the right coach.

You think we can NEVER finish above Iowa or Nebraska, and you think I'm nuts? Please, get brain surgery.

See you guys at the inaugural Big Ten Title Game. I expect to see the Gophers there!

This is like asking "when do you think the first 5+" snowfall will be this winter"

This is nothing at all like that question.
At least 1 5+ inch snowfall is pretty much a given for the winter.
A gopher football team playing in January is nothing close to a given.

Top Bottom