BC tells coach he'll be fired if he interviews for Jets job

Great, it's about time a school does this to a coach. When a kid picked BC they were probably promised that he'd be there forever.

"It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, and I'm wearing my MilkBone underwear", quote from Norm on CHEERS.

Good luck to BC.

I cant imagine this choice will make it easy for them to hire good coaches in the future. Sorry but I cant see any reason why a coach cant look for his best possible job and oppertunity he has a career to look at as well. If BC sticks to their guns on this I cant see any coach worth anything willing to coach for them if they cant look for a better position.

BC needs to either hire a coach nearing retirement or hire a BC alum who will be at his dream job already.

I love this! While I find interviewing for an NFL head coaching job far less offensive than interviewing for another college job, I applaud BC for taking this stance. If a coach is interviewing for other jobs he's sending a message to the students, faculty, alumni, and fans of his current employer that he believes another school is "better" than theirs. It's hard to go back to that school if you don't get this "better" job and win back support, and it's near impossible to recruit. "Why should I play for you at school A when you wanted to leave it for school B?"

It would be nice to see these coaching "contracts" be enforceable both ways. Want to leave school A because you did the job you were hired to do and won football games? Fine. BUT if you don't win at school A or interview for other jobs while under contract with school A impairing future progress of that program, you should be able to be fired without further compensation.

This can be a negative to the BC program...but when it all shakes out it might not. We don't know what conversations and promises were made by the coach...I bet he promised 4 or 5 years and is now reniging.

At some point these college coaches that are making a million plus per year and expect to get extensions so they always have a 4 or 5 year gig have to honor thier comittments.

Screw Rich Rod at MI and hope BC fires this guy. JMHO.

Wow everyone here is being harsh on the guy. I don't see a problem with the coach interviewing for an NFL job. Know if was interviewing at another college football job that would be an understandable ultimatium(barring if it's alma mater, because that is different simply because it's alma mater). I also don't have a problem if the coach was "moving up" i.e. Div 2 to 1-AA or Non-BCS to BCS. But the moving around is getting rediculous. It think it's worse with assistant coach than head coaches or even coordinators.

This is so stupid...its America, you should be able to pursue any job you like...he should call their bluff and get canned, then he can take their money for doing nothing and eventually get a different job. His track record is enough at BC where teams will covet him.

I love the double standard for coaches. How many people here have taken another job because it offers more money?

Just like a guy with a desk job doesn't think about the stockholders when he changes jobs, a coach doesn't think about us. I have absolutely no problem with a guy looking around. It is a job.

I love the double standard for coaches. How many people here have taken another job because it offers more money?

Just like a guy with a desk job doesn't think about the stockholders when he changes jobs, a coach doesn't think about us. I have absolutely no problem with a guy looking around. It is a job.

Bingo!

Dwayne Difton

Would this help our chances of landing WR Dwayne Difton?

>>This is so stupid...its America, you should be able to pursue any job you like...<<

Then schools and coaches shouldn't be allowed to implement multi-year contracts. Schools usually have to pay a buyout fee to abort a contract. Coaches shouldn't have the best of both worlds.

Horton hears a who? Horton you are the man

Not being a lawyer, it comes down to contract law. If you sign the contract and breach the terms, I believe you are penalized. If the contract contains a clause about this or that and you take those avenues, no penalty. (See Lou Holtz). It comes down to the attorneys writing the contract, and the litagators willing to enforce it. I for one, say thank you BC for standing up for the School and the terms of the contract.

I would probably agree if the players who lost a head coach were then allowed to transfer to any team, with no conference restrictions and without sitting out a whole year. Why should the kids be penalized if the coach isn't?

don't get married...

unless tell your bride you want a three to 5 year commitment. Make sure if another babe who is hotter comes your way, you may want a buy out. Tell her you may interview others any time along the way. If she dumps you, she pays you a settlement. Thats a divorce.

American way to get a better job? Absolutly it is but its also the American way fullfill your contract...fire his ass if he wants to interview. He should have expressed when he was negotiating his contract that he wants to interview for better jobs during his employment under contract.

Do people think Paul Giel's contract with Holtz should be the standard?

I would probably agree if the players who lost a head coach were then allowed to transfer to any team, with no conference restrictions and without sitting out a whole year. Why should the kids be penalized if the coach isn't?

I agree with you in theory. The problem then becomes recruiting of players currently on teams by other schools. It would be a nightmare.

The answer is that it all comes down to the players being amateurs. They commit to a school, not to a coach (regardless of what the reality may be). By not allowing players to be mercenaries, the NCAA retains the facade of amateurism.

Top Bottom