Bayou Bengal Briefing: What’s with these Aranda-to-Minnesota rumors?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Suss:

Just when it looked like everything was about to return to normal in the LSU football world, more coaching rumors popped up.

Minnesota dismissed head coach Tracy Claeys on Tuesday after just one season at the helm, due largely to a sexual assault investigation involving a handful of his players. And, as it goes in college football, barely a minute passed before the Internet started circulating names as to who might replace Claeys as the coach of one of the Big 10’s lower-level programs.

At first, the obvious names cropped up. Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck. Former LSU coach Les Miles. Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin. NFL Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy is a Minnesota grad; why not him? All the usual suspects surfaced.

But then another name caught a little bit of momentum: LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/briefing-lsu-football-aranda-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

per Suss:

Just when it looked like everything was about to return to normal in the LSU football world, more coaching rumors popped up.

Minnesota dismissed head coach Tracy Claeys on Tuesday after just one season at the helm, due largely to a sexual assault investigation involving a handful of his players. And, as it goes in college football, barely a minute passed before the Internet started circulating names as to who might replace Claeys as the coach of one of the Big 10’s lower-level programs.

At first, the obvious names cropped up. Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck. Former LSU coach Les Miles. Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin. NFL Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy is a Minnesota grad; why not him? All the usual suspects surfaced.

But then another name caught a little bit of momentum: LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/briefing-lsu-football-aranda-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

I'm sure he'd have to get a huge raise to leave his highly paid defensive coordinator gig at LSU, not sure if Coyle / the administration here would go that high for a guy with no head coaching experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure he'd have to get a huge raise to leave his highly paid defensive coordinator gig at LSU, not sure if Coyle / the administration here would go that high for a guy with no head coaching experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno. If he wants to be a head guy, he has to be a head coach somewhere. Fail at Minnesota and back to being a high paid coordinator. I don't think $$$ he makes at LSU would be a huge factor.

Failure of an article, full of stupid assumptions and misinformation.

Aranda knows this school and staff well -- remember, after leaving Wisconsin, he flew here this spring and sat down with Sawvel to exchange ideas (somebody at LSU probably doesn't realize that, but failed to ask before writing this dumb article). And to say the MN job, even if you consider it "mid tier" B1G, is comparable to Cincinnati and Houston, or even Purdue, is totally ignorant.

The best assumption would be since his name is being floated, he's made it known to someone that someday he aspires to be a head coach. However, it's highly unlikely his first head job would be at a P5 school.

I wanted to take this article seriously because I really like Aranda but I stopped reading at Tony Dungy.

Top Bottom