Battle & Garcia Key to Big 10 Hopes

MennoSota

Reaction score
Garcia has been playing lately like the player who some analysts predicted would be an All-Big Ten candidate. In the past four games he's averaging 16.3 points, six rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.3 blocks, and shooting 51%. Battle's been in double figures in four of the last five games, but his scoring average (17.5 to 12.9) is still down from a season ago.

Chemistry between Garcia, Battle, point guard Ta'Lon Cooper and the four freshmen in the rotation is a work in progress. The 12-day break between games allowed the Gophers to get more practice time to build more confidence as a unit.

"There are times when we struggled," Battle said. "But there are times when we played really well. I think it's just learning from all of it."

Offense in particular has been an issue for the Big Ten's lowest-scoring team (63.4). That could change soon if Battle and Garcia can both have success and create more opportunities for everyone else.

"To both of those guys' credit, they haven't complained one bit," Johnson said. "They both have been dealing with stuff that a lot of times can be really frustrating. It's been pleasant to see that every day their drive and their attitude has been what it is."

I think the key will be one of the young wings emerging. We cannot compete in the Big 10 without any wing play.

It’s too much to put on him but the key is Carrington(imo).

If Payne and Carrington really progress, that’ll change the team quite a bit.

I think the key will be one of the young wings emerging. We cannot compete in the Big 10 without any wing play.

It’s too much to put on him but the key is Carrington(imo).

If Payne and Carrington really progress, that’ll change the team quite a bit.

Would be nice if Ola Joseph finds time to get his first career NCAA assist.

Thats a wild stat.

2 natural "4"'s trying to play on the court at the same time. Neither seem to be real comfortable when the other is in the game. Hopefully they figure it out as they are good enough to carry us to a win or 2 in the big ten.

2 natural "4"'s trying to play on the court at the same time. Neither seem to be real comfortable when the other is in the game. Hopefully they figure it out as they are good enough to carry us to a win or 2 in the big ten.
:) The planned starting lineup- prior to injuries was for there to be 4 natural "4"s in the starting lineup. Fox, Ihnen, Garcia, Battle with Cooper

According to Tarheel Tribune "Tar Heels’ season started to turn around after Garcia left to be with his family, which was dealing with health concerns."

:) The planned starting lineup- prior to injuries was for there to be 4 natural "4"s in the starting lineup. Fox, Ihnen, Garcia, Battle with Cooper

position less basketball 😜

I think it can work if they're at the four and five spots, of course that limits Payne's minutes and development and we constructed the roster for Battle and Garcia to play the three and four, didn't take enough guards and lack experienced guards if that plan were to fail, which it has unfortunately. But here we are so we need to figure out the best system for our current personal

TBH a healthy Fox would have covered a lot of holes with Battle and Garcia defensive weaknesses. A healthy Parker could guard on the perimeter and be a tenacious rebounder, obviously two knee injuries later who knows what that would like, but I think Ben's vision for this team was quite reliant on Fox being healthy. Of course Ihnen at the two and his ability to guard there is what I was most skeptical about but if that worked than that's an obvious game changer as well. It'll be interesting to see if both are here next year and if so how their games look after two years of season ending knee surgery

This isn’t criticism. I don’t know the answer and I won’t because I don’t watch enough of the conference to know.

Where would Battle and Garcia rank as a 1-2 compared to the other 13 teams 1-2? I’ll hang up and listen.

Top Bottom