Basketball ONLY fans - I need your help!!!

KillmeNow

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a huge Gopher bb fan, been so since the early 70s. But since seeing the 1980 Olympic games on TV(tape delayed of course), I've also become a big Gopher hockey fan, too.

But only a basketball fan can understand what is happening to the current Gopher hockey team.

Long time Gopher hockey fans think this year's team STINKS. I've been told, "they shrug their shoulders and say WTF?"

Ok, here is the deal, they've played NiNE games vs Top 8 ranked teams, SIX of those on the ROAD.

They won the 3 home games, beating 3 Top 4 ranked teams, no team in the country has won more games vs Top 4 ranked teams. But they lost the 6 road games, but 3 of those road games, they only lost by 1 goal.

16 teams get into the tourney, so looking at the current Top 20 ranking

UMn's played 21 games against the Top 20. The next best outside of the B1G is 14.

That means UMn's played 50% more games vs Top 20 competition than the entire rest of the nation, or at least the rest of the nation in the Top 20 of the rankings.

21 to 14.

Cornell is tied for #1 in the nation with Penn St, yet has only played TWO games vs current Top 20 ranked teams.

And on the other side of the coin, UMn has played the FEWEST games vs the bottom 2/3. The Bottom 40. And are the ONLY TEAM IN THE NATION, without a loss or tie vs a Bottom 40 team.

Yet Gopher Hockey fans are up in arms and think their team is horrible and the majority are calling for the coaches head.

NONE of them seem to see that the rest of the teams in the country are either not playing even close to the same SOS as the Gophers are, or are losing or tying a bunch of nobodies.

UMn hockey has THREE wins vs Top 8 ranked teams. No other team in the country can claim better. Most of the Top 20 ranked teams have only beat 1 or even ZERO Top 8 ranked teams.

So in cbb terms, UMn has THREE EPIC WINS, and only 2 other teams can claim the same.

And UMn is the ONLY TEAM in the country without a single BAD loss or tie.

Western Michigan University is ranked AHEAD of the Gophers, yet they have a 5-5-0 record vs the Bottom 40. UMn's 7-0-0

7-0 > 5-5

Right???

Providence is ranked #10, same as the Gophers, yet they have won ZERO games vs Top 20 ranked teams.

UMn's won EIGHT

8 > 0

Right???

All I am asking is that Gopher BB fans, if they care in the least about the well being of Gopher Hockey, please let Gopher hockey fans know, from a cbb fan's perspective, just how good the Gopher hockey team is doing, really.

I try, but I'm too long winded, I ramble too much, and well, all by myself, I'll never be able to convince them.

The vast majority of Gopher hockey fans want to fire Lucia, and replace him with a guy who has done less the past decade??? I don't get it. I guess the guy has beaten the Gophers more than he has lost to them, so that alone makes him qualified to take over for Lucia??? Are you kidding???

Well, if even one of you cbb only fans goes into the hockey forums and gives Gopher hockey fans the cbb perspective, that could actually help them see things more realistically? And I'd appreciate it. I know its asking a lot, but hey, if I don't ask....

Tough to compare Hockey and Basketball. Two completely different sports and there is no puck luck in basketball. The Gophers should never fall outside the top 5 in Hockey with all the built in advantages.

Minnesota shouldn't get swept by Ohio State and they just got swept by an unranked Michigan team. Take care of business the rest of the way and they will make the tournament.

Those wanting the coach out has nothing to do with this years team. It's built up over time and people are bitter that he supported starting the B1G conference and didn't improve players.

I equate it to the Twins and Ron Gardenhire. The Twins had lots of success with Gardy, but it was time for him to go. Sometimes you just need a new voice, a new perspective, etc. to re-jump start the program. I think that's the same case here with Gopher Hockey. I'm all for getting rid of Lucia, if for nothing else, to breathe some fresh air in to Gopher Hockey. Like I've said before, why can't the Gophers be the Alabama of college hockey?

I'm for getting rid of Lucia as long as you have a very good idea of who his successor will be. Which was basically my problem with getting rid of Tubby.

Gopher hockey is more on par with North Carolina, UCLA, Indiana or Kansas basketball. Maybe even Duke! We have the best recruiting grounds in the nation and a deep and successful history.

It's been awhile since we won the NCAA and Gopher hockey fans pretty much expect to compete for the championship year-in and year-out. We have never lost the B1G in hockey since it was reformed and virtually have no chance to win it this year. That's a sad indictment right there!

So, is Lucia a bad coach? No, but if the Gophers aren't the best hockey team in their own STATE he deserves to be sitting on a VERY hot seat.

Gopher hockey is more on par with North Carolina, UCLA, Indiana or Kansas basketball. Maybe even Duke! We have the best recruiting grounds in the nation and a deep and successful history.

It's been awhile since we won the NCAA and Gopher hockey fans pretty much expect to compete for the championship year-in and year-out. We have never lost the B1G in hockey since it was reformed and virtually have no chance to win it this year. That's a sad indictment right there!

So, is Lucia a bad coach? No, but if the Gophers aren't the best hockey team in their own STATE he deserves to be sitting on a VERY hot seat.

Tough to compare Hockey and Basketball. Two completely different sports and there is no puck luck in basketball. The Gophers should never fall outside the top 5 in Hockey with all the built in advantages.

Minnesota shouldn't get swept by Ohio State and they just got swept by an unranked Michigan team. Take care of business the rest of the way and they will make the tournament.

Those wanting the coach out has nothing to do with this years team. It's built up over time and people are bitter that he supported starting the B1G conference and didn't improve players.

The Gophers should never fall outside the Top 5???

Even the Women's team can't deliver on such high expectations!!!! OMG WAKE THE F up

Ohio St has won more games vs Top 20 opponents than all but 5 teams in the country.

And Minnesota is the ONLY team that can claim no losses OR TIES vs the bottom 40, but OSU is one of just 2 other teams that can claim NO LOSSES vs the Bottom 40.

Go ahead and dismiss OSU, be lazy, my goodness, Gopher fans are becoming ignorant fools.

And those bitching about the coach are ignoring what is going on in the rest of college hockey.

There is only ONE coach in the nation with more than 2 titles to his name, and he's on the verge of missing the NCAA tourney for the 2nd straight season, and missing the Title game for the 6th straight season.

There is no one out there better than Lucia, the aging York possibly the exception. Hakstol won lots of NCAA games, but never a title, and is in the NHL leading his team to last place right now.

I equate it to the Twins and Ron Gardenhire. The Twins had lots of success with Gardy, but it was time for him to go. Sometimes you just need a new voice, a new perspective, etc. to re-jump start the program. I think that's the same case here with Gopher Hockey. I'm all for getting rid of Lucia, if for nothing else, to breathe some fresh air in to Gopher Hockey. Like I've said before, why can't the Gophers be the Alabama of college hockey?

I'm ok with fresh air, but Motsko?? Talk about old and stale? Lucia's done more the last decade than Motzko.

Can't help you. Thought it a while ago and still think Lucia should be fired.

I'm for getting rid of Lucia as long as you have a very good idea of who his successor will be. Which was basically my problem with getting rid of Tubby.

EXACTLY!!! Who is the home run hire to replace Lucia??? Hello? Beuller? Beuller??

There is no one that is a guarantee. Motzko is a horrible option, honestly. Grant P could be a home run, just hard to tell. He definitely wouldn't be the disaster Motzko could end up being. Oh, and the long time assistant to the guy you are firing??? WTF???

Why not consider the former Wild coach, a former gopher, can't remember his name for some reason? Old age kicking I suppose?

And Indiana, Kansas and UCLA have won how many titles in the 21st Century???

UNC is nothing but a bunch of cheaters, so who cares how they do???

I'll give you Duke. But look at their coach, arguably the best ever? Maybe if Brooks had lived longer and never left UMn??? Or maybe if we hadn't let go of Buetow? Or Woog? Or now we want to let go of Lucia???

WTF.

Name me the college hockey coach with more than 2 titles???

York, is the only one, and his team is on the verge of missing their 2nd straight ncaa tourney.

Hakstol won a lot of NCAA tourney games, but not titles, and he's now leading his team to LAST place in their division of the NHL.

So who is the coach out there that is so much better than Lucia???

This already will be among the most ridiculous threads for 2018.

Hey, I asked for help, not more UNEDUCATED lazy negative input. There is plenty of that to go around.

If you don't have anything positive to post, honestly, go somewhere else and rip on Lucia, there are plenty of places that will love to join in with your ignorance based whine fest.

I asked cbb only fans for help, if you don't think Lucia or the hockey program deserve it, then fine, that's your right, but voice those opinions elsewhere, please. Voicing them here only makes the problem worse.

I mean, I never imagined cbb fans could be so hypocritical, thinking one way about cbb, but completely opposite about hockey???

You ignorant lazy bastards are part of the problem.

Our Gopher Softball team won more games than anyone in the nation last year, and were punished for not playing a tough enough schedule, and now our hockey team is playing a tougher schedule than any other team in all of NCAA sports can claim and is also being punished for it??? OMG. Make up your minds Gopher fans. Don't be lazy and ignorant.

I'm beginning to feel ashamed of being a Gopher fan right now. WOW. Never thought I'd ever say that.

This already will be among the most ridiculous threads for 2018.

And your GENIUS contribution is what??? Worth nothing. Like possibly your brain???

Dude, constructive criticism is only so, when its constructive!!!

Be a part of the solution, not just a part of the problem. If you are such a genius, then expound your genius and tell us all the truth that we otherwise couldn't see???

Or maybe you are just another idiot who thinks snarky remarks make him seem cool???

Gopher hockey reminds me a lot of Texas Longhorn football. Maybe the best coaching job in the entire NCAA in their respective sports but hasn't been able to get it done in a while. Meanwhile smaller schools like Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor and even Houston have had much more recent success, just like UMD, SCSU and the other smaller Minnesota hockey schools have.

Gopher hockey reminds me a lot of Texas Longhorn football. Maybe the best coaching job in the entire NCAA in their respective sports but hasn't been able to get it done in a while. Meanwhile smaller schools like Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor and even Houston have had much more recent success, just like UMD, SCSU and the other smaller Minnesota hockey schools have.
Yup. Lucia is Mack Brown.

There is no comparison whatsoever!!!

Texas hasn't even come close to being successful for a very long time. UMn hockey HAS. 2012 & 2014. 2nd and tied for 3rd

TAM, TCU & Baylor haven't really done all that much, cept do better than Texas. UMD has a Title and a Runner Up finish.

SCSU??? Motzko? Hasn't done half of what Lucia has done the past 10 years.

Lucia = TWO Frozen Fours, one a title game appearance.

Motzko = ONE Frozen Four, NOT a title game appearance.

It's a weak comparison, at best, I won't say what it is at worst.

I didn't start this thread so that LAZY and ignorant critics of the hockey team had another venue to spew their ignorant and lazy bs.

I started it in hopes REALISTIC cbb only fans would explain to the masses of LAZY and IGNORANT hockey fans, just how good this year's hockey team really is or could be.

There is no comparison whatsoever!!!

Texas hasn't even come close to being successful for a very long time. UMn hockey HAS. 2012 & 2014. 2nd and tied for 3rd

TAM, TCU & Baylor haven't really done all that much, cept do better than Texas. UMD has a Title and a Runner Up finish.

SCSU??? Motzko? Hasn't done half of what Lucia has done the past 10 years.

Lucia = TWO Frozen Fours, one a title game appearance.

Motzko = ONE Frozen Four, NOT a title game appearance.

It's a weak comparison, at best, I won't say what it is at worst.

Texas has a more recent national championship than the gophers do. Also TCU and Baylor have had multiple top 10 finishes in the past 7 or 8 years. In 2009, TCU was one of only two undefeated FBS teams at the end of the year. I wouldn't say they "haven't really done all that much."

Obviously it's not an identical comparison but the point still stands. They are both in similar situations in that they both should be a national powerhouse year in, year out but other smaller in-state schools have had more success in certain seasons despite possessing significantly less advantages. They are extremely similar in that regard.

Texas has a more recent national championship than the gophers do. Also TCU and Baylor have had multiple top 10 finishes in the past 7 or 8 years. In 2009, TCU was one of only two undefeated FBS teams at the end of the year. I wouldn't say they "haven't really done all that much."

Obviously it's not an identical comparison but the point still stands. They are both in similar situations in that they both should be a national powerhouse year in, year out but other smaller in-state schools have had more success in certain seasons despite possessing significantly less advantages. They are extremely similar in that regard.

NO, they are not. Texas winning a Natl Title in 05 was much of an outlier as there is. They've been mostly irrelevant ever since and for a long time before. I'm a big cfb fan, and Texas does NOT come to my mind when I think of good cfb programs.

And Texas NOT doing as well as their instate rivals recently has nothing to do with Texas' roster being depleted by the NFL while it's instate rivals go untouched by the NFL.

The same CAN NOT be said about the Gophers. The NHL has loved the Gophers, and for the most part, ignored SCSU, UMD and Mankato, allowing those programs to gain some ground on the Gophers

Lucia's record has very few rivals, no Texas Coach in the 21st Century can claim the same.

I have some goo thoughts on this, and wish I could have my input, but I am not only a basketball fan. Sorry.

I have some goo thoughts on this, and wish I could have my input, but I am not only a basketball fan. Sorry.

Oh what the hell skauma, lets hear your thoughts. Apparently no one else cared about my BB ONLY designation. Why should you?

Hire Lou Nanne

He'd probably be a better hire than Motzko. What has he done? Gotten a never been program to the level of ONCE has been??

41 programs have more NCAA tourney wins than SCSU, and Motzko hasn't done much to change that. Been to ONE FF in the last 10 years, Lucia's done better than that.

SCSU has 8 ROAD games in their next 12, all vs Top 25 ranked teams. They likely will fall from their exalted ranking.

Oh, and 2 home games vs a Denver team that pummeled them already in Denver.

How has he proven that he'd do better than Lucia if he was the coach at UMn??? Lucia purposely lowered his recruiting sites to go after guys who might stick around for 3-5 years vs bringing in the likes of Phil Kessel, Eric Johnson, Kyle Okposo and Nic Leddy, all who left us after 1 season, basically.

Guys like Kyle Rau, Nate Schmidt, Brady Skjei, Erick Haula, and Bjugstad. They helped those 2012-13-14 teams get to 2 FFs in 3 years.

Lucia could be the BEST coach going into 2019 and beyond, because he's still young enough, and now he's figuring out how to recruit.

Just waiting for another incarnation of this thread to show up on all other gopherhole boards as well. So far, this person has hit both the hockey and basketball boards attempting to save Lucia and the hockey team's rep.

Just waiting for another incarnation of this thread to show up on all other gopherhole boards as well. So far, this person has hit both the hockey and basketball boards attempting to save Lucia and the hockey team's rep.

I don't know, beating 3 Top 4 ranked teams, something no other program in the NATION can match?? Yeah, lets fire the guy???

Winning EIGHT games vs Top 20 ranked teams, something only Notre Dame can beat??? Yeah, lets fire the guy.

Name me 2 coaches with more Natl Titles than Lucia??? YOU CAN'T!!!!

Jerry York is on his way to missing his 2nd straight NCAA tourney, and going 6 seasons without making a title game. I suppose he should be fired as well???

Hakstol made a lot of FFs. He never won a title, and is now in the NHL. So who has a better resume than Lucia???

York who is ready to retire? Hakstol who left without a title to the NHL where he has led his team to last place in their division?

Motzko??? With ONE ff in the last 10 years???

Name me a Home Run replacement, and sure, I'd get behind it, until you can, Lucia is the best choice for now

Just thought that cbb ONLY fans could appreciate and understand the men's hockey team's SOS issues better. and their EPIC wins

Sorry that I gave you cbb only fans TOO much credit?

We've had some good conversation back and forth on the hockey board, but for some reason you're coming off like a crazed 9/11 conspiracy theorist over here. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the triple punctuation. Calm down. It's ok if everybody doesn't share your optimism. No one is hurling insults or being disrespectful. Most would agree that Lucia isn't going "full Brady Hoke" and demolishing the program, but that the hockey program has gone stale and a fresh voice could do wonders. Who that will be is anyone's guess, but with UM's resources for hockey, almost any motivated coach could be successful.

We've had some good conversation back and forth on the hockey board, but for some reason you're coming off like a crazed 9/11 conspiracy theorist over here. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the triple punctuation. Calm down. It's ok if everybody doesn't share your optimism. No one is hurling insults or being disrespectful. Most would agree that Lucia is going "full Brady Hoke" and demolishing the program, but that the hockey program has gone stale and a fresh voice could do wonders. Who that will be is anyone's guess, but with UM's resources for hockey, almost any motivated coach could be successful.

Not meaning to be flippant, but seriously, name me a coach with more Titles than Lucia??

Just one, and his team is about to miss their 2nd straight NCAA tourney.

The coach that led Denver to their back to back titles, did what? Retired?

Hakstol never won a title, but lots of NCAA games, and he's in the NHL guiding his team to a last place finish in their division.

So, which coach is so much better than Lucia???

"Stale" "Fresh voice" That only lasts in the modern college hockey world for maybe a year or two, three sometimes with luck.

Bring in a Grant P after next season and I'm all for it, unless Lucia wins us a title in the interim and regains some fire? Who has a better understanding of the intricacies of recruiting than a man who has had to deal with losing so many players to the NHL and has adjusted his recruiting, and found some success after doing os, 2012-13-14 was all about Lucia's new recruiting ways being successful. Now this year and possibly next year could be another run of great tourney runs. 'that

Why not? Who's going to stop us? We beat Clarkson, we beat SCSU, we beat UND, we had ROAD losses by just ONE goal to Notre Dame, OSU, UMD and Michigan, we also beat PSU. That's 8 Top 16 ranked teams, so basically, half of the possible NCAA field? We swept #17 Harvard.

Top Bottom