Reaction score
One man's B1G power rankings based only on Game #1 performance:

1. Ohio State (1-0)
2. Michigan State (1-0)
3. Wisconsin (1-0)
4. Indiana (0-1)
5. Michigan (1-0)
6. Purdue (1-0)
7. Illinois (1-0) -- Illini's ceiling much higher with Leonard, Paul & Richardson.
8. Minnesota (0-1)
9. Northwestern (0-1)
10. Iowa (0-1)
11. Penn State (0-1)
12. Nebraska (0-1)

The Jump Starts: Purdue and Wisconsin get a leg up on everyone else by recording road wins in their first opportunities, meaning they're the only "+" teams (road wins - home losses) 1 game in

Meaningless stat, 1 game in: If B1G basketball was split into Leaders and Legends, the Leaders would hold a 4-2 head-to-head edge. Every first game would have been cross-divisional, with Michigan & Michigan State logging the only wins for the Legends.

Call me an optimist... I just don't think Purdue and Illinois are going to be finishing ahead of us this year from what I've seen. I feel better about the Gophs chances after seeing this first round of games.

Call me an optimist... I just don't think Purdue and Illinois are going to be finishing ahead of us this year from what I've seen.

Purdue especially has been unimpressive to me, I can't see them finishing in the top 4. Illinois is streaky, depends which team shows up to play.

Purdue will be one of Gophers' more significant games; create separation

Call me an optimist... I just don't think Purdue and Illinois are going to be finishing ahead of us this year from what I've seen. I feel better about the Gophs chances after seeing this first round of games.

I'd label the Michigan and Purdue games as particularly significant for the Gophers. The teams you only place once -- especially the ones "most like you" -- really help establish pecking order. Purdue at home, certainly, is one the Gophers really need to get. We already have a significant edge on the Boilers in terms of RPI & beating them would create some distance at least in the short term, with the Boilers not getting a rematch (unless they meet in Indy).

Nebraska had a couple bad home losses even when they were at full strength earlier, but right now they are missing two of their best players (Diaz, their top big man and Talley, one of their top guards), so I don't think the Wisconsin game is a particularly good/fair one to judge them by. I think they are at least better than PSU, probably better than Iowa as well.

SelectionSunday said:
I'd label the Michigan and Purdue games as particularly significant for the Gophers. The teams you only place once -- especially the ones "most like you" -- really help establish pecking order. Purdue at home, certainly, is one the Gophers really need to get. We already have a significant edge on the Boilers in terms of RPI & beating them would create some distance at least in the short term, with the Boilers not getting a rematch (unless they meet in Indy).

Well put - Sunday will be a big game for us.

I fully expect Purdue to leave Minneapolis next Sunday evening 4-0 in the conference. Of course they could just as easily be 1-3. The Boilers certainly have their flaws but they are 2 possesions from being 13-1 and a top 20-25 team. Choke jobs at Xavier and Butler blowing double digit 2nd half leads in both games could cost them an NCAA bid if they find themselves near the bubble in March. Their defense has been an issue this year - not your tpyical in your face Purdue defense. Iowa had way too many easy baskets the other night and they can't seem to defend an inbounds play under the basket. Tubby has done a decent job drawing up plays out of TO's this year - that coud loom large vs. Purdue. If the Boilers can find their defensive identity and play tough old school man to man D - it will be interesting to see how Welch and the young guards handle the constant pressure.

Nebraska had a couple bad home losses even when they were at full strength earlier, but right now they are missing two of their best players (Diaz, their top big man and Talley, one of their top guards), so I don't think the Wisconsin game is a particularly good/fair one to judge them by. I think they are at least better than PSU, probably better than Iowa as well.

I don't remember who it was on BTN but one of their prognosticators suggested that Nebraska would get in to the NCAA's but we would not. This was just before the Big opener. Wow!

One man's B1G power rankings based only on Game #1 performance:

1. Ohio State (1-0)
2. Michigan State (1-0)
3. Wisconsin (1-0)
4. Indiana (0-1)
5. Michigan (1-0)
6. Purdue (1-0)
7. Illinois (1-0) -- Illini's ceiling much higher with Leonard, Paul & Richardson.
8. Minnesota (0-1)
9. Northwestern (0-1)
10. Iowa (0-1)
11. Penn State (0-1)
12. Nebraska (0-1)

The Jump Starts: Purdue and Wisconsin get a leg up on everyone else by recording road wins in their first opportunities, meaning they're the only "+" teams (road wins - home losses) 1 game in

Meaningless stat, 1 game in: If B1G basketball was split into Leaders and Legends, the Leaders would hold a 4-2 head-to-head edge. Every first game would have been cross-divisional, with Michigan & Michigan State logging the only wins for the Legends.

Good job SS and I think dead nuts on.

I fully expect Purdue to leave Minneapolis next Sunday evening 4-0 in the conference. Of course they could just as easily be 1-3. The Boilers certainly have their flaws but they are 2 possesions from being 13-1 and a top 20-25 team. Choke jobs at Xavier and Butler blowing double digit 2nd half leads in both games could cost them an NCAA bid if they find themselves near the bubble in March. Their defense has been an issue this year - not your tpyical in your face Purdue defense. Iowa had way too many easy baskets the other night and they can't seem to defend an inbounds play under the basket. Tubby has done a decent job drawing up plays out of TO's this year - that coud loom large vs. Purdue. If the Boilers can find their defensive identity and play tough old school man to man D - it will be interesting to see how Welch and the young guards handle the constant pressure.

It was frustrating watching the Gophers lose a game that they could have won vs. illinois, and even if we do lose to Michigan on the road....I expect that we will end up 2 and 2 after beating Iowa and Purdue at home.

Top Bottom