Bandwagon and Hell Freezing Over

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
I offered my tickets for the Nebraska game on Facebook and to over 200 people at work. I got one taker and it was a Husker/Gopher split family.

I've already had someone email me checking if I'm using my tickets for the "Gopher" game on the 23rd from a "Gopher" fan.

Things are looking up.

Similar experience. Had a bit of trouble moving my extra seats for the PSU game (finally sold them 2 days before the game at a discounted price). Offered them to about 30-40 friends/family/etc over the 2 weeks leading up to the game. No takers.

Now getting email requests all over the place. At least these folks are starting to wake up a bit.

Similar experience. Had a bit of trouble moving my extra seats for the PSU game (finally sold them 2 days before the game at a discounted price). Offered them to about 30-40 friends/family/etc over the 2 weeks leading up to the game. No takers.

Now getting email requests all over the place. At least these folks are starting to wake up a bit.

I have a super-secret source for tickets to the game. Tell them, but promise not to tell anyone else: gophersports.com

Pretty much every one I know associates me with Gopher football. I rarely get a question or conversation out of it except for the occasional acknowledgement of photos I post of our tailgate on facebook. Last night I was early to pick up my kid at hockey and no less than three different people walked up at different times to discuss Gopher football or ask if I was "at the Gopher game on Saturday".

Downer Alert, I apologize in advance:

Unfortunately most of the casual fans jump on the bandwagon too late to enjoy anything. There's a very good chance we lose our next two games, and those two games will be the only ones a lot of people watch. I really hope someone is able to throw this in my face in a couple weeks. Go Gophers!

Downer Alert, I apologize in advance:

Unfortunately most of the casual fans jump on the bandwagon too late to enjoy anything. There's a very good chance we lose our next two games, and those two games will be the only ones a lot of people watch. I really hope someone is able to throw this in my face in a couple weeks. Go Gophers!

Yep, you are correct and I have thought the same thing. These people aren't informed about the team so they weren't picking up on this earlier and by the same lack of knowledge, they will see potential losses to Wisconsin or Michigan State as "see, I told you so" moments. I will actually be surprised to win either of these games and that is okay because I feel the team is playing with house money at this point. I guess I have to hope there are enough people like me out there having conversations with casual fans balancing the expectations with the knowledge losses in these last two weeks should be expected, and the needle has begun for the road back by this team regardless.

I guess it is the difference between a season we may look back on as the turning point, and one that is truly magical, where the team finally gets that attention from casual fans AND wins an incredible victory or two against two heavily favored teams. That would be truly special.

I have a super-secret source for tickets to the game. Tell them, but promise not to tell anyone else: gophersports.com

In most cases, such snark would be dead-on and deserved, but in this case, my seats are 1st row upper deck, on the aisle. And my contacts know this. I doubt the seats left on Gophersports.com are of this calibur. Too bad for them, on 11/23 I'll be sitting there, instead of with another group.

My snark is always dead-on, but is rarely deserved.

Good call. I'm an idiot for not even thinking about that. I just wanted two tickets and almost paid for $30+ more per ticket on stubhub. Just ordered two. It is my wife's 1st anniversary gift to me. She's a good one.

We're raising eyebrows in the State right now. It will be interesting to see who buys the available tickets. Will the casual Gopher fan open up his wallet, or will Becky fans grab the tickets out there ?

Top Bottom