Band Gameday Schedule

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
From their Facebook page, for anyone interested:

NEW GAME DAY TIMING:
(tentative)

2 hrs, 15 minutes prior to kickoff - drumline and tailgate bands play the Gopher Victory Walk
2:10 prior - tailgate bands wander the lots
1:45 prior - Formal Inspection under Pope County sign
1:20 prior - March Over to Oak Street in front of Mariucci
1:15 prior - land in Oak Street - Pep Rally follows
0:50 prior - depart Mariucci area - march back to stadium
0:25 prior - load the tunnel
est. 0:20 prior - PREGAME!

I hope they fixed the entrance on to the field for this year's pregame, it was pretty shoddy last year.

Thanx for the schedule! What a great change this is from last year!

Where is the march down University? Surely its absence was an oversight in compiling the schedule...

Where is the march down University? Surely its absence was an oversight in compiling the schedule...

Just wondering why University was closed off last year for the marching band from Ohio State. Seems rather stupid that they can't close it off for our own band.

Ok you guys.

Here it is straight from Tim Diem. First my question, then his response.

(Me) 3. Bring back the tradition of the band marching down University Avenue. We have fond memories of those days. No question, this would require close logistics with the city. If not University Avenue, consider other streets or even Scholars Walk or other areas. The OSU Marching Band was able to march to TCF last year and somehow that was made a reality. Why not our band?
(Tim) I have not seen an advantage of any kind yet to bring that back. The reason it used to be done is that the band was housed in Northrop and they would shoot down University those couple of blocks to the stadium. I have also been told there was no pregame pep rally at that time, so the reason people remember the march is that it was shortly before pregame began. Now, with all of the other activities we are trying to be a part of, victory walk, tailgates, pep rallies, etc., a march of this type would have to take place over 2 hours prior to the kick. Since we already have a great home in the stadium it makes sense to center ourselves there and have the fans join us at the stadium. Last year OSU rehearsed in the Bierman Athletic Facility and came up the bridge by the Oak St. Ramp. Once on top they saw no traffic back there and the easiest way to move the band is to march them so they loaded up and came around the back of Mariucci. This wasn't something cleared with the police, but because of the place, time, and reason worked for them.

Reading between the lines my take is: Quit bugging us about marching down Univ. Ave. It's much easier for us to roll out of TCF and do our thing one block away at the plaza in front of maybe 500 fans rather than trying to drum up some enthusiasm across campus and get the band marching. The path of least resistance is to stay close to TCF and do their thing, and get ready for pre-game in TCF.

Under this leadership, the days of a marching band are over. Forget about the Univ. Ave. thing. The band is attached to TCF.

All you guys longing for the University Ave march, you are missing one big thing in the schedule:

2:10 prior - tailgate bands wander the parking lots

This is good. More people will be entertained by U of M band music than would be with a march down University Ave.

Ok you guys.

Here it is straight from Tim Diem. First my question, then his response.

(Me) 3. Bring back the tradition of the band marching down University Avenue. We have fond memories of those days. No question, this would require close logistics with the city. If not University Avenue, consider other streets or even Scholars Walk or other areas. The OSU Marching Band was able to march to TCF last year and somehow that was made a reality. Why not our band?
(Tim) I have not seen an advantage of any kind yet to bring that back. The reason it used to be done is that the band was housed in Northrop and they would shoot down University those couple of blocks to the stadium. I have also been told there was no pregame pep rally at that time, so the reason people remember the march is that it was shortly before pregame began. Now, with all of the other activities we are trying to be a part of, victory walk, tailgates, pep rallies, etc., a march of this type would have to take place over 2 hours prior to the kick. Since we already have a great home in the stadium it makes sense to center ourselves there and have the fans join us at the stadium. Last year OSU rehearsed in the Bierman Athletic Facility and came up the bridge by the Oak St. Ramp. Once on top they saw no traffic back there and the easiest way to move the band is to march them so they loaded up and came around the back of Mariucci. This wasn't something cleared with the police, but because of the place, time, and reason worked for them.

Reading between the lines my take is: Quit bugging us about marching down Univ. Ave. It's much easier for us to roll out of TCF and do our thing one block away at the plaza in front of maybe 500 fans rather than trying to drum up some enthusiasm across campus and get the band marching. The path of least resistance is to stay close to TCF and do their thing, and get ready for pre-game in TCF.

Under this leadership, the days of a marching band are over. Forget about the Univ. Ave. thing. The band is attached to TCF.
My experience with Prof. Diem is that he doesn't mince words. He'll give you a straight answer.
"Under this leadership, the days of a marching band are over." What are you talking about? You don't consider the march around the stadium and pre-game show marching?

That's fine. How about adding some tradition like Wisconsin with "Jump around" or the 5th quarter? I have been to the last 4 rose bowls with Wisconsin and we always stay for the 5 th quarter. How about starting 15 members at each dorm, and rockin it to a designated spot near the stadium? It inspired both my kids to join band. My Daughter was a drum major and still plays in college. Just trying to stay positive and grow the game day experience. A big time college band is college football. Think outside the box and get amped!

That's fine. How about adding some tradition like Wisconsin with "Jump around" or the 5th quarter? I have been to the last 4 rose bowls with Wisconsin and we always stay for the 5 th quarter. How about starting 15 members at each dorm, and rockin it to a designated spot near the stadium? It inspired both my kids to join band. My Daughter was a drum major and still plays in college. Just trying to stay positive and grow the game day experience. A big time college band is college football. Think outside the box and get amped!
What does "Jump Around" have to do with the band?
The U band does do a post-game show on the field.

Diem is tough to get along with from what I've heard unless you are in his inner circle.

My experience with Prof. Diem is that he doesn't mince words. He'll give you a straight answer.
"Under this leadership, the days of a marching band are over." What are you talking about? You don't consider the march around the stadium and pre-game show marching?

Marching around TCF two hours before gametime? Who will be there? Maybe Mom and Dad and a few friends. How about marching up/down Scholars Walk? Or other spots on the campus and generate some excitement. Mr. Diem is way too comfortable staying close to the fort rather than going on patrol once and see whats out there.

Staying with the two hour before game pre-game show all of last year is an example of the type of leadership we see from the UM. At least that has been corrected.

Top Bottom