Badgers starting olineman arrested for OWI

swingman

Reaction score
University of Wisconsin senior guard Josh Seltzner was cited for operating under the influence last month.
Seltzner was stopped by UW-Madison police Oct. 17 and registered a blood-alcohol content between 0.08% and 0.15%, according to Dane County circuit court documents. The case was filed in circuit court Oct. 20 and Seltzner’s initial court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 10. It was Seltzner’s first OWI offense, according to court records.

Seltzner’s bond for his charges totaled more than $1,100.
UW was made aware of the incident the morning of Oct. 17, per a spokesperson, and discipline for Seltzner — a Columbus product — was handled internally.

UW’s student-athlete discipline policy states when an athlete is arrested for a crime, they immediately are suspended from games and practices pending a factual inquiry into the arrest.
After that inquiry, the policy states UW administrators will convene to determine the next steps, which can include denial of certain privileges, mandatory counselling, a continued suspension or dismissal from the team.

Seltzner, a fifth-year senior who has been the starting left guard when available to play this season, played at then-No. 25 Purdue six days after being cited by police but did not play last week against then-No. 9 Iowa. He was listed as not available on the team’s pregame status report, but those do not state why a player is unavailable.

Seltzner was listed as questionable on Monday’s status report, but like other status reports, no injury or reason was listed. UW coach Paul Chryst was asked Thursday about Seltzner’s status heading into Saturday’s game at Rutgers.
“‘Seltz’ has been able to do a little bit,” Chryst said, “but I don’t know, it’s too early to say for sure if he’ll be able to (play) or not. He’s going to be on the trip with us and, like I said, has been able to do a little bit more each day. So that’s positive for us.”

UW’s student-athlete discipline policy states when an athlete is arrested for a crime, they immediately are suspended from games and practices pending a factual inquiry into the arrest.

Unless something changed recently, first offense DUI is not a criminal offense in Wisconsin. It's a traffic violation. Sconie is the only state where this is still the case (not surprising.)

He was operating on someone under the influence??? :eek:

No, I get it. The wording is just stupid, is all.

Like calling a water fountain a "bubbler". Wisconsin hicks.

Unless something changed recently, first offense DUI is not a criminal offense in Wisconsin. It's a traffic violation. Sconie is the only state where this is still the case (not surprising.)
still true -- I looked it up the other day when another poster (maybe yourself) made the claim in another thread.

Yes, considering the state, if jail time was involved, their jail capacity probably would be overwhelmed in a short time.

I have a hard time believing if a Gopher got a DUI, he would be playing the next week (or at all). Pretty sure PJ kicked Max Janes off the team a couple years ago for underage drinking and some other shenanigans.

I have a hard time believing if a Gopher got a DUI, he would be playing the next week (or at all). Pretty sure PJ kicked Max Janes off the team a couple years ago for underage drinking and some other shenanigans.
Well, in Minnesota it's a criminal offense, so you'd have a player charged with a crime.
In Wisconsin, it's just a much more expensive speeding ticket more or less.

I was going to make a joke along the lines of asking if it was even illegal to operate vehicles drunk in Wisconsin. I should have known better.

semi related question: I recall MN being in danger of losing federal highway funds if they didn’t lower the dwi threshold from .1 to .08, and prior to that raise the drinking age from 19 to 21. How does Wisconsin get away with this in terms of it not being a criminal offense until the second dwi?

Perhaps this news will motivate the StarTribune to do an investigation into how playing the same sport as the Golden Gopher Football Team can lead to trouble for Wisconsin Football players, and how the Gopher coaching staff didn’t do anything to stop this incident in Madison.

Well, in Minnesota it's a criminal offense, so you'd have a player charged with a crime.
In Wisconsin, it's just a much more expensive speeding ticket more or less.
Likely a bump to one's car insurance premiums as well.

The 0.08 was the big Federal push. I haven't had a drink in almost 40 years, but there were mornings when I was in my 20s that I probably woke up in the morning at 0.08. I was never stopped for OWI/DWI/DUI, but I had friends who were and most of them pleaded out to a lesser charge and it was relatively easy to do so. I don't know if that's as easy now.

I was going to make a joke along the lines of asking if it was even illegal to operate vehicles drunk in Wisconsin. I should have known better.

semi related question: I recall MN being in danger of losing federal highway funds if they didn’t lower the dwi threshold from .1 to .08, and prior to that raise the drinking age from 19 to 21. How does Wisconsin get away with this in terms of it not being a criminal offense until the second dwi?

The threshold is the same. .08. The penalties are less. I think it was only the threshold that the feds used to blackmail the states.

Also in Wisconsin, you are allowed to drink in a bar with your parents if you are under 21. And there is no minimum age for this.

WCCO is reporting that "Flecks new contract is leading WI players to drink." Once again Fleck and his demands of excellence are bringing stress upon other people. WI players stated they loved the "axe" week when it used to be a week long party as practices were loose and they practically considered it a week off. The feeling was with rumors of PJ getting a contact with another team perhaps WI could go back to way things were. Now with the new contract some coaches and players handled the news poorly. The prosecutor in Madison are wondering if they should bring up charges. Stay tuned to WCCO to hear about any event happening that we can twist and turn to show how bad Fleck is.

Seriously? I had never heard that before.

Is the place where we tell everyone about Bert’s undisclosed alcohol fueled escapades? How about a HC using his position of power to umm ahh

Max Janes tried to break into the Mpls post office downtown when he was drunk and was kicked off the team immediately-- Micah Roane on the other hand got a DUI on a moped on campus and stayed on the team until he transferred to USD. Who knows if Janes' issue wasn't his first with the team, but it doesn't seem like a DUI is an automatic off the team.

Max Janes tried to break into the Mpls post office downtown when he was drunk and was kicked off the team immediately-- Micah Roane on the other hand got a DUI on a moped on campus and stayed on the team until he transferred to USD. Who knows if Janes' issue wasn't his first with the team, but it doesn't seem like a DUI is an automatic off the team.
Breaking into a federal building would, to me, be grounds for dismissal.

I bet a 325 lb player needs to drink a lot to get to .15, a lot more than me at least. Maybe not Andre the Giant amounts of alcohol, but still a lot.

I bet a 325 lb player needs to drink a lot to get to .15, a lot more than me at least. Maybe not Andre the Giant amounts of alcohol, but still a lot.
A bar I worked at had glass pitchers that Andre would get his beer served to him. Re: the lineman -- he'd need to have something like 12 domestic beers in an hour to get to .15

Top Bottom