Badgers Look to Schedule Another Non-Conference Cupcake

coljess: I don't like crass, brash, talkers who can't back up their talk. That is what this brewster is. This brewster is not a good image maker...he is a cartoon character. He is a less polished kiffin-type. He is really not someone that I appreciate running the football program at the U of M. Too much talk followed by not enough action. He is rough around the edges. He is no Tubby Smith. He was not ready fot this job. That is not his fault. That is the fault of matury and prexy b. They did not make a good hire after completely botching the firing/letting the contract run down to get out of the former coache's contract without wasting millions and millions of dollars in buy out money...money that this prexy b had to borrow from the General Fund of the University of minnesota. And, that raised my ire... ; 0 ) At very best, perhaps he could have been a position coach...but...certainly not a head coach. There is too much chaos and turn-over among the coaches and on his staff. He does not appear to have an offensive philosophy. I will be critical of what I see. More people need to look with a criticl eye. The U of M has invested almost 300 million into this new stadium. A "Tubby Smith" level coach is needed o run the football operations. It is time for prexy b and maturi to retire.

dopodoll: Notre Dame is in pretty damn good company academically. What's your point????? I have never heard them claim to be the HARVARD or WILLIAMS of the nation.

You're the one who brought up their sterling:rolleyes: academics as though it's relevant to anything, not me.

My point is that they use it as a crutch so people will be duped into thinking, "Poor Notre Dame. They can't get the 'black athlete' because they are such a stellar academic school," when the reality is that: A. they are not as great academically as they think they are, and B. it's irrelevant anyway, because football players don't need to meet the same admissions criteria as the general student population (yet another myth that Notre Dame likes to perpetuate)

If that were really the case, explain Stanford (a far superior academic school) winning the Director's Cup every year since time immemorial. Or even better yet, Cal, a school analogous to Notre Dame academically, having a much, much better football program? How does ol' Charlie-boy explain that one away?

And what does Williams, a tiny D-III liberal arts college, have ANYTHING to do with D-IA football?

Cutting off B10 teams from playing ND hurts the B10 more then it hurts ND. Not playing B10 teams doesn't hurt their lucrative TV contract...they can just pick another BCS school of equal caliber to play. Not scheduling ND kills long standing rivalry games for Mich/MSU and eliminates other B10 schools from scheduling a good regional opponent. Not to mention it makes no sense to flip off ND like this if the B10 ever hopes to woo them.

I for one, think Notre Dame joining the Big Ten-leven-elve is an excellent idea...

And I also think that the University of North Dakota Twittertails or whatever they are going to call themselves now and the NCAA, should sue Notre Dame and the University of Illinois for denegrating the proud Irish and Illini heritage by inserting the word "Fighting" in front of them....

You are correct about the Purdue/ND. it is a regional game without much national buzz. I capitulate, USC is a better get than ND. Well done!

dopddoll: you live for the moment, don't you? Of what relevence in college football were some of the other academic jewels you mentioned? Cal is good for the moment, They have had their moments...but...they have not won as many football games as Michigan and Notre Dame. Tradition! History! That is what makes college football GREAT and makes the nfl suck. And the names that make it all the more historical and more tradition are the Michigan's, the Notre Dames and even the Minnesota Champter!

TRADITION! dopodoll...you need TRADITION! Otherwise you are just "fiddling" around... ; 0 )

coljess: I don't like crass, brash, talkers who can't back up their talk. That is what this brewster is. This brewster is not a good image maker...he is a cartoon character. He is a less polished kiffin-type. He is really not someone that I appreciate running the football program at the U of M. Too much talk followed by not enough action. He is rough around the edges. He is no Tubby Smith. He was not ready fot this job. That is not his fault. That is the fault of matury and prexy b. They did not make a good hire after completely botching the firing/letting the contract run down to get out of the former coache's contract without wasting millions and millions of dollars in buy out money...money that this prexy b had to borrow from the General Fund of the University of minnesota. And, that raised my ire... ; 0 ) At very best, perhaps he could have been a position coach...but...certainly not a head coach. There is too much chaos and turn-over among the coaches and on his staff. He does not appear to have an offensive philosophy. I will be critical of what I see. More people need to look with a criticl eye. The U of M has invested almost 300 million into this new stadium. A "Tubby Smith" level coach is needed o run the football operations. It is time for prexy b and maturi to retire.

Then I'd look at the hypocrite in the mirror who continues to follow and attend Gopher football games, who still longs for the days of Mason....who continually gets banned from Gopher message boards but is too weak to stay away and magically reappears under a new moniker.

I know I would continue to throw money at something I didn't approve of.

Way to stand up for your beliefs.

dopddoll: you live for the moment, don't you? Of what relevence in college football were some of the other academic jewels you mentioned? Cal is good for the moment, They have had their moments...but...they have not won as many football games as Michigan and Notre Dame. Tradition! History! That is what makes college football GREAT and makes the nfl suck. And the names that make it all the more historical and more tradition are the Michigan's, the Notre Dames and even the Minnesota Champter!

TRADITION! dopodoll...you need TRADITION! Otherwise you are just "fiddling" around... ; 0 )

Ah, I see. Weis will be retained indefinitely because of the national championships won by Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Devine, and Holtz. That makes PERFECT sense.

No one can deny them their heritage, but the problem is that Notre Dame has been completely inconsequential since Holtz left, and it irks me to no end when they pretend that they're not. Hell, before their win over a completely outclassed Hawaii team last Christmas Eve, they hadn't won a bowl game since 1993. 1993! Even our Golden Gophers had won 3 in that time frame, and no one is going to put them in the same sentence with the mighty Golden Domers.

And to address yet another non sequitur (you sure are a big fan of those), how much "tradition" does the NFL have to have before you deem it not to "suck"? It's been around for 90 years, for Christ's sake! It existed a long time before you or I did, and it will continue to exist long after we're gone.

I say USC is the better get simply for this reason: Imagine have a 8-4 record including a win over USC. Now think of the same 8-4 season including a win over Notre Dame.

1. Which team will be ranked higher when all is said and done... The USC season.
2. Which team will get the better bowl game... The USC season.

It simply is better to beat USC than it is to beat Notre Dame in the current state of College Football. And it is more shameful to lose to Notre Dame than to lose to USC.

Things change quickly though. 15 years ago, USC wasn't quite nearly as impressive as Nebraska may have been. Ten years ago Miami (Fl) was just about on top. And now Florida is looking like a true powerhouse. Things change, and with the way Notre Dame lines up recruits, it might not be very long at all until they start winning again.

4starrecruit

Are you excited for the MN/Syracuse game? Syracuse has one of the best football histories in college football. Cuse also beat Notre Dame last year.

I'm vastly more interested in the Minnesota - Syracuse game than I am about whoever is playing Notre Dame.

It is time for Minnesota Golden Gopher Football to return to campus. It is time to start appreciating the history and traditions of not only Gopher Football, but also Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State from the mid-west. Pitt, Army, Navy, and some of the other Beasts of the East. USC, Washingtn, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas...Alabama, LSU, and too many other colleges to mention here right now.

For someone who just rips Brewster, the appreciating the history and traditions of Gopher football is one of his best traits with trying to move the football program FORWARD. He gets it.

For someone who just rips Brewster, the appreciating the history and traditions of Gopher football is one of his best traits with trying to move the football program FORWARD. He gets it.

Very true! This is one of the reasons I believe in Brewster. He is doing his darndest to get that history and tradition message out there! He truly believes he can accomplish restoring those great traditions, and I for one am going to suport his efforts!

And people like 4starrecruit, Reusse and others make fun of and poo poo those efforts like little playground bullies....

I respect Brewster even more when I look at the wall of idiots standing in the way of getting that message out!

The WI game to take over the Purdue game on an every-other-year basis was said on espn.com for those who want to look for it.

Ah, I see. Weis will be retained indefinitely because of the national championships won by Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Devine, and Holtz. That makes PERFECT sense.

No one can deny them their heritage, but the problem is that Notre Dame has been completely inconsequential since Holtz left, and it irks me to no end when they pretend that they're not. Hell, before their win over a completely outclassed Hawaii team last Christmas Eve, they hadn't won a bowl game since 1993. 1993! Even our Golden Gophers had won 3 in that time frame, and no one is going to put them in the same sentence with the mighty Golden Domers.

And to address yet another non sequitur (you sure are a big fan of those), how much "tradition" does the NFL have to have before you deem it not to "suck"? It's been around for 90 years, for Christ's sake! It existed a long time before you or I did, and it will continue to exist long after we're gone.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm vastly more interested in the Minnesota - Syracuse game than I am about whoever is playing Notre Dame.

:clap:Thank you. :clap:Notre Dame is terrible. They are interesting only because the people who go there are all believe they are very special, but ND is below average and unexceptional at everything. They may have "tradition". But they have no tradition as great as being the living embodiment of the word "over-rated" for the last 20 years or so. The word exists becuase of Notre Dame and all that they do.

Yeah right, the President of the United States gives commencement speeches at 'terrible' colleges.

Yeah right, the President of the United States gives commencement speeches at 'terrible' colleges.

I think he was referring to their football program lately. Not the entire school. At least I hope that is what he was referring to.

Notre Dame football has been relevent, is relevent and will be relevent. Bad times...hard time...tough times do NOT destroy an icon. Tough times when looked at through the scope of history and followed by revivals and upswings only do MORE to enhance the mystique of that icon. For Notre Dame, there was a very humble beginning...there was a climb to to top, there have been ups and downs and there will be many more great victories...and monumental defeats in the future. These things only STRENGTHEN a college fan base and make them more committed to backing their program.

You people had better hope that our Minnesota Golden Gopher history, past, present and future has SOME kind of staying power left. Can the program survive the loss of the greatness, the local attacks of the professional sports franchises within the confines of a state with a population of between 4 and 5 million and the aging of the lifelong fans who hung in there with the Gophers even during their abandonment of MEMORIAL STADIUM, the banishment to the WILDERNESS by the U of M administrators and the local "movers and shakers", and now a return to the campus in TCF BANK STADIUM?

Notre Dame is "teflon" and will always remain a player in college football circles. Will our U of M Golden Gophers? I certainly hope so. However, this prexy b and maturi made a huge gamble with a risky hire in this inexperienced brewster character when they really needed a well-respected, experienced big name coach (much like a Tubby Smith.)

Notre Dame will survive their current coach and will thrive even if they have to dump him. Can Minnesota survive this brewster and thrive in the near term future? The membership in the Big Ten Conference means everything to the Gophers. Can this brewster comepet in the Big Ten? I honestly don't know...but...unless things improve, I fear for the immediate future of Gopher Football...new stadium and all.

Notre Dame had Rockne. Minnesota had Bierman. We belonged on the same playing field with those foundations and that history. Notre Dame still has a Rockne-like fan base. They will be fine...even with their current coach. Does Minnesota have a Bierman-like fan base left? Will we be fine at the U of M even with brewster-ball? I honestly do not know.

Notre Dame football has been relevent, is relevent and will be relevent. Bad times...hard time...tough times do NOT destroy an icon. Tough times when looked at through the scope of history and followed by revivals and upswings only do MORE to enhance the mystique of that icon. For Notre Dame, there was a very humble beginning...there was a climb to to top, there have been ups and downs and there will be many more great victories...and monumental defeats in the future. These things only STRENGTHEN a college fan base and make them more committed to backing their program.

You people had better hope that our Minnesota Golden Gopher history, past, present and future has SOME kind of staying power left. Can the program survive the loss of the greatness, the local attacks of the professional sports franchises within the confines of a state with a population of between 4 and 5 million and the aging of the lifelong fans who hung in there with the Gophers even during their abandonment of MEMORIAL STADIUM, the banishment to the WILDERNESS by the U of M administrators and the local "movers and shakers", and now a return to the campus in TCF BANK STADIUM?

Notre Dame is "teflon" and will always remain a player in college football circles. Will our U of M Golden Gophers? I certainly hope so. However, this prexy b and maturi made a huge gamble with a risky hire in this inexperienced brewster character when they really needed a well-respected, experienced big name coach (much like a Tubby Smith.)

Notre Dame will survive their current coach and will thrive even if they have to dump him. Can Minnesota survive this brewster and thrive in the near term future? The membership in the Big Ten Conference means everything to the Gophers. Can this brewster comepet in the Big Ten? I honestly don't know...but...unless things improve, I fear for the immediate future of Gopher Football...new stadium and all.

Notre Dame had Rockne. Minnesota had Bierman. We belonged on the same playing field with those foundations and that history. Notre Dame still has a Rockne-like fan base. They will be fine...even with their current coach. Does Minnesota have a Bierman-like fan base left? Will we be fine at the U of M even with brewster-ball? I honestly do not know.

Just like they Thrived?? Throve?? Under Bob Davie too....or did you forget about that period in your favorite school's history????

Notre Dame football has been relevent, is relevent and will be relevent. Bad times...hard time...tough times do NOT destroy an icon.

Icons fall all the time. Look at Army. They were once a great power in football. Now they are not, and it is unlikely that they will ever be again. There's no reason to assume that Notre Dame is invulnerable. SMU fell big time.

Notre Dame's big weak spot is being an independent. If they can't turn things around, some of that shine is going to wear off the golden dome. They could lose those big contracts, and might not be so tempting for opponents to schedule.

Do you honestly think any number of middle of the pack coaches will hurt the Notre Dame Fan Base? I recall some down years from them and then a coach came down to South Bend from little NU in the northern burbs of Chicago and restored them back to towards the "winners" circle in college football. Lou hoax bagged tail from Minneapolis and won a NC in South Bend. They have been very average since then, but, is their fan base diminished? Or is it just being energized for their next run to greatness?

I don't believe I have ever consciously rooted for Notre Dame to win any football games. And, I have been a Golden Gopher Fan for about 55 years now. I have witnessed a number of ups and downs in Notre Dame Football though. You can not follow college football and ignore Notre Dame. They are part of the very corner stones of college football. Love them. Hate them. They are kind of like the N.Y. Yankees of the college football world.

I do admire the University of Notre Dame though. I also admire a LOT of other colleges and universities across this great land of ours. The University of Notre Dame is an incredible and awesome place to visit. There is tradition, history and IDENTITY at the University of Notre Dame physical campus that I have not found surpassed on any college or university campus that I have ever visited.

I think the University of Minnesota is a wonderful campus, and personally I like it better than most of the other Big Ten campus settings. However, it does not seem to have the overwhelming sense of tradition and single-purpose that I have seen when visiting Notre Dame. The U of M has it's own great sense of history (minus the loss of MEMORIAL STADIUM during the wilderness years. What prexy Y did in restoring the campus helped a great deal in restoring the beauty of a number of the buildings on campus.

However, at Notre Dame, the students also seem to live the traditions...know the traditions...honor the traditions and respect their traditions. They have a real knowlege of the history and traditions of their university...their campus. I like that. I have found that very refreshing. I wish there was MORE of that sense from the students at the University of Minnesota. It transcends football...but...it DOES include football.

Of course, there is the size difference: 2000 students per undergraduate class at ND vs how many students per undergraduate class at the Unviersity of Minnesota? Perhaps the U of M has not been selective enough and has grown too much. I know they are working on trying to improve the selectivity...and perhaps shrinking the number of undergraduate students might be wise. The State College System is in place and might play a vital role in making the U of M more academically selective. But, that is a topic for the "off-topic" forum here.

I admire what I have seen at the University of Notre Dame. However, I am not a fan of the Notre Dame Football team. I do love the lore...the tradition...the history and the mystique that a few college football programs bring to college football. I could not love my Golden Gopher University of Minnesota Football Program as much as I do if there were not the Notre Dames, Michigans, Alabama's, Ohio States of the college football world though.

Notre Dame could easly survive a quarter of a century without a National Championship. Their fans stay with them. The love of and loyalty to their team transcends the nfl for a Notre Dame Fan. What matters to them happens on Saturday...not Sunday. In my opinion, too many of our casual and so-called Gopher-Nation Fans have an equal love for the vikings/nfl. At this point in time, our Gophers do not transcend the nfl/vikings. That will need to change for the Gophers to return to a higher place in the pecking order of college football. the vikings are the enemy and have attacked and attracted and have won-over the Bierman-like University of Minnesota Football Fan Base. That is really too bad. The 1960 time frame was the last NC for the Gophers...and it ushered in the era of the nfl in 1961. The Gophers won a NC under Murray...the Lakers bagged for LA...the vikings and the wins came to town. It was pretty much all over for the U of M football program at that moment in time.

The new stadium represents a small window of opportunity. Winning Big Ten Games is the ONLY way to claw, scratch and fight to regain market share...fan base...BIERMAN-LIKE loyalty. Without lots of Big Ten wins, the program is dead in the water.

In my opinion, too many of our casual and so-called Gopher-Nation Fans have an equal love for the vikings/nfl. At this point in time, our Gophers do not transcend the nfl/vikings. That will need to change for the Gophers to return to a higher place in the pecking order of college football. the vikings are the enemy and have attacked and attracted and have won-over the Bierman-like University of Minnesota Football Fan Base.

This is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen from you.

You act as though the two are mutually exclusive - they're not. Plenty of people are rabid fans of both, myself included.

Man, I don't know why I even bother. Most of the things you say are so stupid and ill-founded that I guess I just can't help myself.

You act as though the two are mutually exclusive - they're not. Plenty of people are rabid fans of both, myself included.

Man, I don't know why I even bother. Most of the things you say are so stupid and ill-founded that I guess I just can't help myself.

According to wren, you cannot be a real Gopher fan unless you hate the Vikings. Of course you can be a real Gopher fan and hate the coach, AD, President, students, etc. :rolleyes:

The "Ignore List" is a wonderful thing. I highly recommend using it. ;)

An awful lot of Notre Dame fans are watching the NFL on Sunday. This idea that it harms a college teams fanbase if the fans also watch the NFL is absurd. If only those who hated the NFL could go to college games, the stands would be pretty empty at all college stadiums.

By being independent, Notre Dame gets a great deal of flexibility in scheduling, and gets to keep all of the money for themselves. That advantage has a weakness - Notre Dame will not be able to ride on its reputation forever. If the shine comes off the golden dome, things could get pretty rough. Being an independent is to be a dinosaur.

Top Bottom