Badger transfers

btowngopher

Reaction score
They’ve had 8 players enter the portal since the season began. Seems like a bit of a snowball effect going on there. They have to be almost as thin as the gophers at RB at this point.

I'm not a big fan of all these in-season transfers. I'd prefer it be after the season so the kids can calm down and make a better decision what is right for them. Otherwise it just looks like quitting.

I'm not a big fan of all these in-season transfers. I'd prefer it be after the season so the kids can calm down and make a better decision what is right for them. Otherwise it just looks like quitting.
It is. I'm going to sound like an old timer yelling at kids to get off my lawn...but you've made a commitment. I don't care if you don't like it- finish what you've started. You can transfer at winter semester break or the summer. Doing things you don't necessarily like or want to do builds mental and emotional resiliency.

I have no problem with the "one free transfer" deal. The players get shafted all the time when coaches move around willy-nilly, so it makes sense for them to be able to do it once in their 5 years. But do it after the season.

They’ve had 8 players enter the portal since the season began. Seems like a bit of a snowball effect going on there. They have to be almost as thin as the gophers at RB at this point.
Both MN and WI seem to be playing better since some players entered the portal.

I think it's smart for the perspective of wanting to find a spot on a team and getting in for spring practice in order to compete for playing time in the fall.
I don't know if any of Wisconsin's players have impacted their team success -- but losing Dunlop has helped us by solidifying our oline rotation -- plus he was our worst lineman per PFF.

It is. I'm going to sound like an old timer yelling at kids to get off my lawn...but you've made a commitment. I don't care if you don't like it- finish what you've started. You can transfer at winter semester break or the summer. Doing things you don't necessarily like or want to do builds mental and emotional resiliency.

I have no problem with the "one free transfer" deal. The players get shafted all the time when coaches move around willy-nilly, so it makes sense for them to be able to do it once in their 5 years. But do it after the season.
I kind of go both ways on this one. Yes you should stick out your commitment but as Maxy points out, sometimes a transfer going out can actually help a team. If a player is a malcontent who just doesn't want to be there anymore it is better in many ways to just remove them from the equation and the portal makes that possible.

I kind of go both ways on this one. Yes you should stick out your commitment but as Maxy points out, sometimes a transfer going out can actually help a team. If a player is a malcontent who just doesn't want to be there anymore it is better in many ways to just remove them from the equation and the portal makes that possible.
Yeah I suspect a number of players leaving were told where they stand on the team...and sometimes the staff is happy to have them go.

If we're going to have a transfer portal and the team is to play that game then it has to go both ways.

It seems like most of the comments are from people looking into the Love Shack and thinking they know everything that is going on in the program while they watch through the window. Many of these coaches are like your old physical education coach and run their programs like they are the supreme dictator. Their actions and comments are not monitored by their bosses, they tell their recruits anything to get them into their program for their ego or team depth, they will recruit kids just to keep them off their competitions teams. If they were honest and up front with the recruits from the beginning, you would not see all of the transfers. It gives players freedom and options to find a better fit for them. It balances out the playing field.

One silver lining to transfers is that more walk-ons get awarded scholarships. Dunlop and Wiley's scholarships could be used to give a walk-on a spring semester scholarship -- which I hope is the case because winning on the margins can help us take another step closer to sustained contention.

It seems like most of the comments are from people looking into the Love Shack and thinking they know everything that is going on in the program while they watch through the window. Many of these coaches are like your old physical education coach and run their programs like they are the supreme dictator. Their actions and comments are not monitored by their bosses, they tell their recruits anything to get them into their program for their ego or team depth, they will recruit kids just to keep them off their competitions teams. If they were honest and up front with the recruits from the beginning, you would not see all of the transfers. It gives players freedom and options to find a better fit for them. It balances out the playing field.

I call BS on the part in bold.

Of course coaches tell players what they want to hear in recruiting and try to spin things in a way that is going to make the player want to commit. But any coaches flat out lying to recruits is just asking for trouble once the kid gets there.

Any recruit that truly believes anything is promised to them when they commit is fooling themselves and in this day and age being super naive. Not like this is anything new.

One of my all time favorite movies is The Program from 1993. Omar Epps comes on a recruiting visit and they meet him with the band, cheerleaders, all kinds of crap. Then he shows up for the start of camp, just a couple players meet him coming off the bus. He asks about the lack of fanfare and the other players make some comment to the effect that we've got you now so all that other stuff goes away.

Completely agree with this. Culture is very high on the list of "must haves" to make a successful team. If someone isn't happy or doesn't aspire to that culture; it's best for both that they find another team.

I think it's smart for the perspective of wanting to find a spot on a team and getting in for spring practice in order to compete for playing time in the fall.

I don't know if any of Wisconsin's players have impacted their team success -- but losing Dunlop has helped us by solidifying our oline rotation -- plus he was our worst lineman per PFF.
How was Dunlop graded against tOSU and BGSU?

I imagine many of them do it before they appear in a 5th game so they can redshirt this year and have another year of playing eligibility for their prospective new team.

Mike Tomlin in speaking about trading Melvin Ingram, "Volunteers are always than hostages."

Same applies here. If a guy wants to go, it's best that he just goes.

I call BS on the part in bold.

Of course coaches tell players what they want to hear in recruiting and try to spin things in a way that is going to make the player want to commit. But any coaches flat out lying to recruits is just asking for trouble once the kid gets there.

Any recruit that truly believes anything is promised to them when they commit is fooling themselves and in this day and age being super naive. Not like this is anything new.

One of my all time favorite movies is The Program from 1993. Omar Epps comes on a recruiting visit and they meet him with the band, cheerleaders, all kinds of crap. Then he shows up for the start of camp, just a couple players meet him coming off the bus. He asks about the lack of fanfare and the other players make some comment to the effect that we've got you now so all that other stuff goes away.
Yeah, I agree.

I think most coaches tell recruits that they will play the best players. It's a numbers game, there are more people who think they should be in the 2 deeps than are actually in the 2 deeps. I'm sure players get upset because they think they are better than guys ahead of them (they can be right at times), but that doesn't make a coach dishonest.

Transferring is just easier now. That's why it's happening more.

Wisconsin keeps having players enter though. Two were in the last few days.
I'm sure that some schools are going to continue to see a lot of portal entries... but I'm thinking that (hopefully) Minnesota won't see nearly as many, as I think a majority of players have bought into the "Row the Boat" philosophy.

As long as Fleck continues to bring in "his kind" of players, we shouldn't see many jump out of the boat to find more playing time elsewhere. The ones that do will probably be players that Fleck takes a flyer on that don't fully want to be oarsmen... once you drink the Kool-Aid, you're a lifer.

For me the only way around this is that if you're leaving the program and or enter the transfer protocol during the season then you lost a year regardless the number of games you played unless you haven't lost your red-shirt. Its no difference for a Sophomore or a Junior or example who doesn't play a game to lose a year of eligibility. You would have up to two weeks before the first game of the year to get out.

Furthermore, if you decide to transfer, your scholarship is not renewed for the next quarter/semester as you have cut ties (there was some discussion on this and if I recall correctly no one knew what the protocol was).

While I support the transfer protocol, its gotten out of hand in my opinion. Just a thought as to my proposal.

Top Bottom