BAC Gate

thanks for the "Check BAC Gate - blood alcohol content article". that approach once people are at the actual stadium seems justified to me. that being said i hope officers (especially those from outside minneapolis and/or the U of M) working the games back on-campus don't get too over-zealous in their work. i understand the line that a cop has to "do his job", but they also need to remember next year to let people (especially in the tailgate lots) to have a good time as long as they aren't harming anyone. otherwise you are going to piss off a lot of people who just want to have a good time tailgating and not have to deal with an over-the-top, buzz cut officer from stickville who thinks he needs to be a "bad ass" about each and everything little thing he sees or perceives that he saw.

thanks for the "Check BAC Gate - blood alcohol content article". that approach once people are at the actual stadium seems justified to me. that being said i hope officers (especially those from outside minneapolis and/or the U of M) working the games back on-campus don't get too over-zealous in their work. i understand the line that a cop has to "do his job", but they also need to remember next year to let people (especially in the tailgate lots) to have a good time as long as they aren't harming anyone. otherwise you are going to piss off a lot of people who just want to have a good time tailgating and not have to deal with an over-the-top, buzz cut officer from stickville who thinks he needs to be a "bad ass" about each and everything little thing he sees or perceives that he saw.

agreed-- let's hope that the University instructs their folks at the gates to be reasonable with the students. We've set aside 10,000 student seats and like it or not, socializing with a couple of drinks is part of the gig. If it helps cut down on the really over the top drunks, great, but lets hope they use some reasonable judgment in allowing leeway. IMO, if the kid isn't falling down drunk, let 'em in. We can use all the fan support we can get. If they try to apply the rules precisely, the first 4 win season will equate to a large drop in student ticket sales. We need every body we can get in the seats in the seats.

Is this a season-long probation? If you are a freshman on the list, are you red flagged until you graduate? I would assume that it resets every year, but I didn't see any clarification.

If they really want to go all anti-alcoholic students they could give priority in subsequent years to non-red flagged students. That might incent students to stay sober (at least until their senior year). I would consider that too far, but I wouldn't put it past the powers that be.

So are the Breathalyzers only for students with previous citations? The real question is how strict they'll be. Is it zero tolerance or .08 or something else?

So are the Breathalyzers only for students with previous citations? The real question is how strict they'll be. Is it zero tolerance or .08 or something else?

Correct, you have to have been previous cited or caused a problem for your ticket to be flagged. So long as you don't aren't falling over drunk, get in a fight, or vomit all over yourself at a game you'll probably be ok. There are too many people in the stadium for them to go looking for drunk people.

Just don't do anything to get noticed and you'll be fine.

Once you have been flagged I believe it's a zero tolerance. (I know that if you are under 21 and get flagged you must blow a .000--not 100% sure what the policy is if you are 21+.)

Correct, you have to have been previous cited or caused a problem for your ticket to be flagged. So long as you don't aren't falling over drunk, get in a fight, or vomit all over yourself at a game you'll probably be ok. There are too many people in the stadium for them to go looking for drunk people.

Just don't do anything to get noticed and you'll be fine.

Once you have been flagged I believe it's a zero tolerance. (I know that if you are under 21 and get flagged you must blow a .000--not 100% sure what the policy is if you are 21+.)

I thought a previous article said zero-tolerance for underagers and under legal limit for 21+. Might have been the STrib article?

agreed-- let's hope that the University instructs their folks at the gates to be reasonable with the students.

I was talking to my uncle, who works as a cop out in the suburbs, and he talked about friends of his who volunteer to be on stadium/game day detail - the UMPD and Mpls PD need to outsource some of the work since the demand is so great - and the norm for these guys is to let just about anything slide within reason. It takes something a bit extraordinary (e.g., vomiting, falling over without cause, excess disorderly behavior) to draw the unwanted attention of these guys. They want to let people have a good time, as long as its within reason.

Worth noting that this is the norm/majority. There's never a guarantee that you won't run into a guy who is taking himself/his job too seriously and cause problems, but that will be the exception, not the rule.

Oh, and PS

I thought a previous article said zero-tolerance for underagers and under legal limit for 21+. Might have been the STrib article?

This is my understanding as well. I'm not sure about the whole "legal limit" thing, since this person isn't driving a car. I thought it said something like reasonable levels. The part about differentiating between underagers and legal drinkers is what the story reported though.

Top Bottom