B1G Tourney Game 2: Gophers versus Ohio State (3-5-20)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Ohio State won both meetings this season: 66-63 in Minneapolis and 99-76 in Columbus. Controlling Kierstan Bell, who has returned after missing a couple of games for personal reasons, will be important. In the first game Bell scored 14 points in 14 minutes and in the second she scored 15 points in 15 minutes.

Here's an article about Bell from "Her Hoops Stats" to pass the time until tomorrow night.

came to Ohio State with great expectations. The player nicknamed “SheBron” was the nation’s eighth-ranked prospect and the school’s highest-ranked recruit since three-time Big Ten player of the year, Kelsey Mitchell. Bell was brought in as the leader of a class that was supposed to “revitalize” an Ohio State program that just experienced its first losing season since 2001-2002.

In addition to being one of the most hyped prospects in recent memory, Bell was named a starter to begin the year. And with only four players returning from last year’s team, the Buckeyes needed her to be a key piece of the offense. That’s incredible pressure for a teenager.

After a highly impressive first season, it’s hard to argue Bell didn’t live up to the hype. In her first season at Ohio State, she finished top-five on the team in every significant statistical category (2nd in points, 3rd in rebounds, 4th in assists, 2nd in steals, and 4th in blocks, per game) and was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team, as well as, honorable mention All-Big Ten. However, despite her success so far, Bell is just scratching the surface of her potential as a player.

Good or bad, Bell’s presence is always felt. She currently has a usage rate of 30.4%, the highest figure on the team by a significant margin. The gap between her usage and the team’s second-highest player, Rebeka Mikulasikova, is greater than the difference between the Mikulasikova and the team’s lowest-usage player, Braxtin Miller (min 10 minutes per game).

The Buckeyes expect to see zone. Whalen has employed the zone sparingly.

Ohio State played its best basketball in February, opening the seven-of-nine stretch on a six-game winning streak. It then dropped back-to-back contests against Rutgers and Northwestern before closing the season with a blowout win at Purdue.

The Buckeyes’ improved play in February had them in position to earn a double-bye with just three games remaining in the season, but the back-to-back losses pushed them out of reach of Indiana for the No. 4 seed.

The loss to Rutgers gave the Scarlet Knights the tiebreaker and the No. 5 seed.

In those back-to-back losses, the Buckeyes were without All-Big Ten freshman guard Kierstan Bell, who was unavailable for personal reasons.

Bell has been a spark plug off the bench for the Buckeyes, averaging 11.1 points per game and 4.6 rebounds. She has made a team-high 47 3-pointers this season, shooting 32 percent from beyond the arc.

[Dorka] Juhasz earned a spot on the All-Big Ten first team thanks to team-high marks of 13.3 points and 9.1 rebounds.

“This year, she’s been very consistent,” Ohio State head coach Kevin McGuff said. “She’s really shown her great versatility, where she’s extremely effective around the basket. She can also shoot from three and score from the perimeter in a variety of ways.”

Her play surged in February, especially on the boards, where she averaged 10.7 rebounds during eight games played.

She closed the season with four straight double-doubles, which matched her total to that point, finishing with eight on the year.

“I feel much more confident,” Juhasz said. “I’m just really trying to leave my mark on the court every time I step on it.”

The Buckeyes relied heavily on the 3-pointer throughout Big Ten play, hitting a conference-high eight per game. They shot the 3 more than any other team during conference play — the only team to shoot more than 400 attempts.

McGuff said that with the tournament draw, the Buckeyes expect to see a heavy amount of zone defense to counter their 3-point attack.

Poor passing and missing the lay ups early. Whalen calls the TO.

Really bad turnovers and no one is passing the ball. Complete opposite of yesterday

Little life at the end of the quarter at least.

When this team goes against length they just crawl into a shell missing layups and not finishing. Rebounds are killing them again.

Adashchyk is gonna shoot or turn it over everytime she touches the ball tonight apparently.

Masha getting on the floor for that ball. We need to start closing on all those open 3's. Good job to close their lead.

Klarke was really good, love the effort to end that quarter. Need to cut down on the stupid turnovers.

Big positive, Sconiers coming out party. Playing well defensively 3 blocks. Waiting for a Taiye Bello sighting and improved FT shooting. Hopefully second half they take care of the ball.

If we can watch the turnovers and keep the pressure on them, the 2nd half should be Golden.

Gophers started 3 freshmen to start the half, however no one can buy a shot or hit a layup

Powell hitting the big 3 to close the 3rd. We are going to have to keep Taiye from getting her 4th foul early in the 4th quarter and tighten our D.

And the fourth quarter swoon continue, made it interesting until they couldn’t buy a shot again.

We just struggle so much against length. 11-37 from inside the 3 pt line isnt gonna cut it.

Post game presser (wait for the WNIT to call (a week from Sunday)):

Indianapolis, Indiana

Ohio State - 77, Minnesota - 56

Q. What did you see in the fourth quarter?
LINDSAY WHALEN: I think there was a couple plays where -- there was one where Taiye almost had that steal, a bounce here or there goes their way, and then they got on a run in the fourth. But I felt like maybe one more stop and we could have tied it up or at least gotten closer, but they made some tough shots down that stretch, as well.

Q. Did they switch up their defense?
LINDSAY WHALEN: No, I feel like during that stretch, it took us a while in that third to get some scores, and I feel like there were some turnovers down the stretch that we ended up having that got some run-outs and some easy ones for them.

Q. What do you tell the guys now? Obviously you're hoping you get a call on Sunday from the NIT, right?
LINDSAY WHALEN: Yeah, we'll go back and wait and see what we hear for the rest of our postseason.

Q. It was such a strange game; in the middle quarters you shot pretty much 50 percent, but in the first and the fourth you just couldn't buy a basket.
LINDSAY WHALEN: Yeah, yeah. It was -- yeah, I felt really good going into half, and then we struggled in the third to score, but our defense was great, and then the end of the third we started to feel really good on offense, and we go in having tied that third, only down six again in the fourth, and it just -- yeah, then unfortunately the fourth, the floodgates opened a little bit.

Q. You switched to a zone. Was that a big part of what slowed them down a little bit?
LINDSAY WHALEN: Yeah, I think so. You know, at the start we came out and just player-to-player defense and we struggled at that point to keep in front, and we felt zone was the best option, and we ended up making a run. So yeah, it ended up being a good adjustment for us.

Q. Seemed like Sconiers had a lot more playing time tonight.
LINDSAY WHALEN: Yeah, yeah, because even when we went to zone, they were still able to get offensive rebounds, so they were able to still get that. So yeah, I think that it was a night that we needed two bigs in the game.

Honestly, I thought Klarke was really, really good. Did a lot of great things out there for us.

I’m optimistic for next season. I really like the players coming in for the Gophers. The season was frustrating but the future is definitely bright.

We had a good run going in to the first half, second half got away from the Gophers a little bit. Hopefully the transfer in from Syracuse, another potential graduate transfer that has been mentioned and the incoming freshman and redshirts can give the Gophers some better passing, ball movement and defense in the post. Outside of the Bello twins, the Gophers just could not overcome the length and speed that the really good teams in the conference, Iowa, Northwestern, Maryland and Michigan, had all year. I am optimistic for next year, the Gophers lost a lot of close games including the Ohio State game on New Years eve, the Northwestern game right after and the Iowa game at home in particular. I know we lost some scoring and will lose the Bello twins and one of the Jasmine's (Brunson) who helped keep the team together after the bad that happened during the Northwestern game and some self inflicted wounds.

Hopefully with another year together the coaching staff will start to formulate a way to compete better in the Big 10 conference. The team has got to get stronger and quicker at making decision's and better ball movement that is key on offense. Transition offense and outside scoring will only carry you so far, we just have to get better on the block.

I think Whalen has a good mentor in Coach Cheryl Reeve and she can call on her to help diagnose the style of player and play needed to win in the Big 10 conference. I think the Gophers are starting to get the right ingredients to bake what will be a fantastic cake and gel as a team on the court, they are just starting to build the program up. Going to miss this years seniors they have been good Gophers and have played a lot of good basketball. Go Gophers.

Last edited:

We had a good run going in to the first half, second half got away from the Gophers a little bit. Hopefully the transfer in from Syracuse, another potential graduate transfer that has been mentioned and the incoming freshman and redshirts can give the Gophers some better passing, ball movement and defense in the post. Outside of the Bello twins, the Gophers just could not overcome the length and speed that the really good teams in the conference, Iowa, Northwestern, Maryland and Michigan, had all year. I am optimistic for next year, the Gophers lost a lot of close games including the Ohio State game on New Years eve, the Northwestern game right after and the Iowa game at home in particular. I know we lost some scoring and will lose the Bello twins and one of the Jasmine's (Brunson) who helped keep the team together after the bad that happened during the Northwestern game and some self inflicted wounds.

Hopefully with another year together the coaching staff will start to formulate a way to compete better in the Big 10 conference. The team has got to get stronger and quicker at making decision's and better ball movement that is key on offense. Transition offense and outside scoring will only carry you so far, we just have to get better on the block.

I think Whalen has a good mentor in Coach Cheryl Reeve and she can call on her to help diagnose the style of player and play needed to win in the Big 10 conference. I think the Gophers are starting to get the right ingredients to bake what will be a fantastic cake and gel as a team on the court, they are just starting to build the program up. Going to miss this years seniors they have been good Gophers and have played a lot of good basketball. Go Gophers.
Very well put.

And the seniors will definitely be missed. It seems almost unfair that, hardly a few games after all four have reached personal-best achievements, they have to go.

If by some magic rule change we could keep the seniors, as well as the underclasswomen and new recruits plus redshirts, I think we’d for sure be a Sweet Sixteen team next year. As it is, we’ll need a lot of leadership from Diva next year, and even this year’s freshmen will need to take on a leadership role.

The team chemistry went south after the start of the Big season, the majority of it was caused with the Pitts situation right in the heart of the big 10 season, it divided some players and we lost our leader. Sure would be nice to go back to that Ohio St and N'western games at home when we had DP.. If we win those close games (and we should of) DP situation doesn't occur and who knows where we end up in the BIG. Probably for sure in big dance, because we don't lose to IL and WI.
But now you have to scrap to get that mojo back that other teams now have by leap frogging us.. that can be a tall task.. look at WI, they just cant get over the hump since Coach Tsip started.
It will be interesting to see what this team looks like next year.
1. Is there any chance Pitts finishes out her career her, I say yes there is a chance.
2. Diva will graduate as a 5th year player, does she stay?
3. Is Kadi good as advertised? She is built like Bello, but with perimeter game, so we will need size in the middle.
4. Can Klarke develop into a solid 5, she is key. She has to get stronger, quicker, she has to be committed to getting better, it doesn't happen by itself.
5. We haven't seen Grace play yet at this level, she has size to play the 5, although she may be more of a stretch 4.
6. We bring in another small point guard, the big10 recipe for success isn't small PG's so we'll see how that works out.
7. Bri T is only a freshman, but even more so then Klarke has to really commit to getting better.
8. We have another Juco that is athletic but slender.
9. We have another freshman big from Wis, but i think she is like Grace, stretch 4, but certainly has the size to play 5.
10. How big of a step up does Scalia and JP make in year 2. Scalia will need to get stronger and JP will need to cut down on the TO's
11. do we get a grad transfer with post size.
12. There is another solid freshman coming in with some length at the 3 spot, but time will tell how much she can contribute in year 1
12. The offense has to evolve, to much dribbling, to much standing and to PG heavy. The last two years 4th qtr collapses can be attributed to lack of ball movement, quick shots without others touching the ball can take the wind out of you.

The team chemistry went south after the start of the Big season, the majority of it was caused with the Pitts situation right in the heart of the big 10 season, it divided some players and we lost our leader. Sure would be nice to go back to that Ohio St and N'western games at home when we had DP.. If we win those close games (and we should of) DP situation doesn't occur and who knows where we end up in the BIG. Probably for sure in big dance, because we don't lose to IL and WI.

But now you have to scrap to get that mojo back that other teams now have by leap frogging us.. that can be a tall task.. look at WI, they just cant get over the hump since Coach Tsip started.

It will be interesting to see what this team looks like next year.

1. Is there any chance Pitts finishes out her career her, I say yes there is a chance.

2. Diva will graduate as a 5th year player, does she stay?

3. Is Kadi good as advertised? She is built like Bello, but with perimeter game, so we will need size in the middle.

4. Can Klarke develop into a solid 5, she is key. She has to get stronger, quicker, she has to be committed to getting better, it doesn't happen by itself.

5. We haven't seen Grace play yet at this level, she has size to play the 5, although she may be more of a stretch 4.

6. We bring in another small point guard, the big10 recipe for success isn't small PG's so we'll see how that works out.

7. Bri T is only a freshman, but even more so then Klarke has to really commit to getting better.

8. We have another Juco that is athletic but slender.

9. We have another freshman big from Wis, but i think she is like Grace, stretch 4, but certainly has the size to play 5.

10. How big of a step up does Scalia and JP make in year 2. Scalia will need to get stronger and JP will need to cut down on the TO's

11. do we get a grad transfer with post size.

12. There is another solid freshman coming in with some length at the 3 spot, but time will tell how much she can contribute in year 1

12. The offense has to evolve, to much dribbling, to much standing and to PG heavy. The last two years 4th qtr collapses can be attributed to lack of ball movement, quick shots without others touching the ball can take the wind out of you.
An interesting, and fairly exhaustive, list of open questions regarding next year’s team (and some wishful thinking regarding this year’s meltdown).

> 1. Is there any chance Pitts finishes out her career here, I say yes there is a chance.

Just about everybody thinks that’s impossible, so one has to highly doubt it. Maybe someday Pitts and Whalen will be good friends and laugh about it, but right now it still stings a bit too much. Look how long it took Whalen to forgive Frese for leaving.

> 4. Can Klarke develop into a solid 5 ...

With this last game she has shown signs of development already. She might be able to play the 4 or the 5. She’s listed as 6’2” but when she’s on the floor, she looks an inch taller than Taiye.

> 7. Bri T is only a freshman, but even more so then Klarke has to really commit to getting better.

By Bri T you mean Barb Tomancova, probably, who will be a red-shirt sophomore? She has some muscle, so can be useful against someone who would otherwise push us around in the paint. But some assistant coach needs to work with her on catching the ball (and maybe work on wrist strength), and perhaps shooting coach Carly should completely scrap her from-the-shoulder shot and teach her proper shooting mechanics from scratch.

> 10. How big of a step up does Scalia and JP make in year 2. Scalia will need to get stronger and JP will need to cut down on the TO's

Scalia was shooting .450 from deep earlier in the season but that dropped off a bit, so now that we know she can do .450, she needs to work over the summer to get back to that. Regarding JP TOs, it’s ironic that in early season when she came off the bench to spell JB, she was an NCAA leader in assist:turnover ratio at about 4:1 (but not known as much of a long distance shooter). Then she worked real hard on her shot, so that by the time she started, she was a good three-point shooter and a great free-throw shooter - but her turnovers occasionally went through the roof. Examples of that were the last Ohio State game (1:9) and Maryland game (1:10). Ordinarily, 9 or 10 turnovers would be enough to blame the entire loss on her, but the whole team was guilty of playing badly in these two games, so she gets to share the blame. It seems like she gets mega-turnovers against tall-guard teams. Besides working on that, we perhaps may need to put her as point only against shorter teams, and put her as short-corner shooter against taller teams.

> 12. The offense has to evolve, too much dribbling, to much standing and to PG heavy. The last two years 4th qtr collapses can be attributed to lack of ball movement ...

Amen. Passing behind the three-point line doesn’t get us many shots, and just standing there or dribbling there gets us even less. Gets us not only 4th quarter collapse, but also 2nd half collapse, or last-three-quarters collapse, or (in the Maryland game) everything-except-the-first-two-minutes collapse. Good teams, especially good tall teams, can easily defend this approach.

Seems like maybe Whalen adopted this approach after Sheryl Reeve, except she doesn’t have a tall/fast WNBA-caliber team executing it, but rather a short/mostly-slow college team. We need more cutting/passing into the paint or dribbling into the paint to get the defense’s attention then either execute in the paint and/or kick it out to get threes that way. With the current offense, no wonder that against Maryland we got so many shot clock violations: 9 seconds to get past the press, 5 seconds to get past the half-court trap (if you can even avoid the jump ball or turnover), leaving 15 seconds wasted by dribbling in the backcourt before we have to take our panic shot. In the Penn State game we showed remarkable improvement in ball motion and cutting and assists, and it showed in the second-half scoring. Some progress also in the OSU game, but we threw away that game in turnovers and OSU stuffing our shots down our throats.

> ... quick shots without others touching the ball can take the wind out of you.

That’s true to a certain extent, especially this year with short bench. But next year with more players, we can substitute more. No sense taking slow deliberate plays just to let the players rest a spell with the ball. Sometimes (not all the time) it’s better to push the pace.

Probably the best decision Marlene Stollings made was to move Rachel Banham, a shooting guard if there ever was one, to point guard. By means of that, Rach got most of her threes off from on-ball screens where she just dribbled up and shot it. We could do the same thing next year, only with the 1, 2, 3, and maybe even the 4 as shooters that can take turns dribbling up for an on-ball screen and a three-point shot (while everyone else except the designated back defender rushes the paint for a rebound). A missed shot is as good as an inlet pass to a set of rules good posts. It would be like four Banham-caliber shooters taking turns popping threes off on-ball screens. Realize that by all our players except the point guard jogging up court and “getting set” on the three-point line, sometimes all we are accomplishing is doing the defense a favor by going to the place where the “defense is set” on us. Anyway, putting more shot-enabling on-ball screens into the mix could be good too. The key is to mix it up on offense. Right now, our offense is too predictable and too mundane.

Last edited:

Top Bottom