B1G Tournament Pairings Through Feb. 19

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Gophers currently bracketed to play Illinois. A win gets them a 2nd-round matchup with the hottest team in the B1G, Michigan State.

Wednesday, March 9 (1st Round)
#12 Illinois (4-9) vs. #13 GOPHERS (1-13), 3:30 (ESPN2)
#11 Penn State (4-9) vs. #14 Rutgers (0-13), 6 (BTN)

Thursday, March 10 (2nd Round)
#8 Wisconsin (8-5) vs. #9 Nebraska (6-8), 11 (BTN)
#5 Michigan State (9-5) vs. Illinois/GOPHERS winner, 1:30 (BTN)
#7 Michigan (9-5) vs. #10 Northwestern (5-9), 5:30 (ESPN2)
#6 Ohio State (9-5) vs. Penn State/Rutgers winner, 8 (ESPN2)

Friday, March 11 (Quarterfinals)
#1 Indiana (11-3) vs. Wisconsin/Nebraska winner, 11 (ESPN)
#4 Purdue (9-5) vs. Michigan State/Illinois/GOPHERS winner, 1:30 (ESPN)
#2 Iowa (11-3) vs. Michigan/Northwestern winner, 5:30 (BTN)
#3 Maryland (10-4) vs. Ohio State/Penn State/Rutgers winner, 8 (BTN)

I'd still rather play Penn State than Illinois.

Not sure how it could happen but it'd be nice to get another shot at Michigan or Indiana.

I'd still rather play Penn State than Illinois.

I would tend to agree. Illinois has a lot of (good) history in this tournament, whether they're good, bad, or somewhere in between.

After last night, I'm actually allowing myself to look a game ahead, trying to map out the Gophers' best path to the quarterfinals. The one team I would not want in that path is Michigan State, but I don't think we'll have to worry about that because Sparty won't lose another game and will finish in the top 4.

Barring getting swept by Rutgers, we're gonna' be in the #12/#13 game on Wednesday. Am hoping somehow Michigan or Ohio State finish as the #5 seed, but probably not likely.

I would tend to agree. Illinois has a lot of (good) history in this tournament, whether they're good, bad, or somewhere in between.

After last night, I'm actually allowing myself to look a game ahead, trying to map out the Gophers' best path to the quarterfinals. The one team I would not want in that path is Michigan State, but I don't think we'll have to worry about that because Sparty won't lose another game and will finish in the top 4.

Barring getting swept by Rutgers, we're gonna' be in the #12/#13 game on Wednesday. Am hoping somehow Michigan or Ohio State finish as the #5 seed, but probably not likely.

How do we get Illinois to jump Penn State? I hope we don't get into a place where losing to them actually helps our match-ups in the tournament.

BTW, have you seen your tournament tickets yet?

Will be difficult for Illinois to pass Penn State

How do we get Illinois to jump Penn State? I hope we don't get into a place where losing to them actually helps our match-ups in the tournament.

It's going to be difficult if not impossible for Illinois to jump Penn State, though they do play on the final weekend in Happy Valley. Illinois somehow needs to stay within a game of the Nittany Lions. If they do that and then beat PSU in the finale, the Illini would have the head-to-head tiebreaker (it's their only meeting). Schedule definitely favors Penn State. I'd even say it's likely Penn State slides into the #10 seed and doesn't have to play on Wednesday.

Remaining Schedules
Northwestern (5-9): @ Michigan, RUTGERS, @ Penn State, NEBRASKA
Penn State (4-9): @ Rutgers, NEBRASKA, @ Michigan State, NORTHWESTERN, ILLINOIS
Illinois (4-9): @ Wisconsin, INDIANA, MINNESOTA, @ Maryland, @ Penn State

My guess at the final seedings #10-12 would be #10 Penn State, #11 Northwestern, and #12 Illinois.

BTW, have you seen your tournament tickets yet?

Nothing yet. Was told by ticket office they'd be delivered week of February 15.

Could get Purdue again in that scenario, I know they have size for days upfront, but the contrast in styles always seems to make this a good game

Top Bottom