B1G/SEC talk scheduling agreement?

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
so this could be a big deal - or it could lead to nothing. but I thought it was worth noting.

from Matt Hayes in USA Today:

The SEC and Big Ten are discussing a potential scheduling agreement that could lead to a significant increase in media rights revenue, further distancing the two super conferences from the rest of college football, four people with knowledge of the discussions told USA TODAY.

The people who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the conversations say the two super conferences could face off in as many as 12 to 16 regular-season nonconference games a year – or more – to determine the extent of the increase in media rights revenue.

The potential scheduling agreement is an answer to billions in lost revenue from the House legal case settlement of more than $2 billion to former players, and future revenue sharing with players of at least $20 million to $23 million annually beginning as soon as the 2025 season.

Double-digit games that can be promoted and sold as standalone events — like the annual Big Ten vs. ACC basketball challenge — and draw unique advertising dollars are appealing to broadcast partners.

There are still multiple hurdles to clear – including schedule structure, format of how games are paired and revenue distribution – but officials in both conferences see the potential agreement as an answer to the rapidly-changing financial landscape of college football.
---------

(issues that would have to be resolved: B1G plays 9 conf games; SEC plays 8. and several teams in each league have traditional non-conf rivalries they would want to protect - USC vs Notre Dame for example. but the two conferences are definitely taking this seriously, according to reports.)

We already have an SEC team scheduled.

I say do it and we play them twice, a true home and home ;)

Will there be volume discounts for games against "Bulldogs" or "Tigers" since that covers half the SEC?

I would do this scenario to pick matchups. Put B1G in one basket, SEC in other. Turn on powerball machine and do random on live TV with breakdown of matchup pairings.

That alone would tune in millions of viewers cause I’d be highly interested who everyone gets paired with.

I would do this scenario to pick matchups. Put B1G in one basket, SEC in other. Turn on powerball machine and do random on live TV with breakdown of matchup pairings.

That alone would tune in millions of viewers cause I’d be highly interested who everyone gets paired with.
Love it!

I can see them going for the idea of a show announcing the games, but I don't think that they would leave the actual matchups to chance. The whole point is to generate games that will attract the most eyeballs, they don't want to risk a whole slate of Purdue vs. Alabama and Ohio State vs. Mississippi State.

I can see them going for the idea of a show announcing the games, but I don't think that they would leave the actual matchups to chance. The whole point is to generate games that will attract the most eyeballs, they don't want to risk a whole slate of Purdue vs. Alabama and Ohio State vs. Mississippi State.
It’s bound to happen either way, Duke doesn’t always play Illinois or Michigan state in B1G / ACC matchup

It’s bound to happen either way, Duke doesn’t always play Illinois or Michigan state in B1G / ACC matchup
No, it is absolutely not bound to happen either way. Duke doesn't play Illinois or Michigan State every year, but they do almost always play: a blueblood, a ranked team or a ranked blueblood. In 24 years, they have played IU, MSU and OSU five times each and Illinois and Wisconsin three times each. They have never played Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State or Rutgers. That's not randomized, that's careful matchmaking.

I'd love this. If B1G and SEC are going to be the dominant conferences, there will likely be a lot of arguments about which conference was tougher when comparing similar records at playoff time. Giving the conferences a bunch of head to head matchups to compare them with would be great data points to have. And, if they do a good job pairing teams, there might even be situations where bubble teams from the two conferences have a head to head matchup between themselves.

Gophers should always host this game Thanksgiving weekend.

No, it is absolutely not bound to happen either way. Duke doesn't play Illinois or Michigan State every year, but they do almost always play: a blueblood, a ranked team or a ranked blueblood. In 24 years, they have played IU, MSU and OSU five times each and Illinois and Wisconsin three times each. They have never played Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State or Rutgers. That's not randomized, that's careful matchmaking.
It would be nice if Minnesota did play Duke and not just the mid tier…I would love to watch Gopher football go to Bama or Georgia

as I read this article, the primary consideration is not "coming up with great matchups." It's about generating more revenue, pure and simple.

the idea, as I understand it, goes like this: B1G and SEC agree to play a series of non-conf games involving teams from the two conferences. and then they go to their TV partners and say "how much more are you willing to pay us to have these marquee games on your network/channel?"

and I'm sorry, but MN is not the first school that comes to mind when talking about a marquee matchup between the B1G and SEC. the Gophers might be involved, but a game between the Gophers and Vanderbilt is not going to make the networks shell out more money.

don't get me wrong - I'd be interested to see that game. but this is all about top-25 teams playing each other. and as of today, the Gophers are not in that group.

as I read this article, the primary consideration is not "coming up with great matchups." It's about generating more revenue, pure and simple.

the idea, as I understand it, goes like this: B1G and SEC agree to play a series of non-conf games involving teams from the two conferences. and then they go to their TV partners and say "how much more are you willing to pay us to have these marquee games on your network/channel?"

and I'm sorry, but MN is not the first school that comes to mind when talking about a marquee matchup between the B1G and SEC. the Gophers might be involved, but a game between the Gophers and Vanderbilt is not going to make the networks shell out more money.

don't get me wrong - I'd be interested to see that game. but this is all about top-25 teams playing each other. and as of today, the Gophers are not in that group.
They put Gophers vs UNC in primetime on Fox. Not FS1, but Fox. UNC is ACC but similar to a mid tier SEC program.

It would be nice if Minnesota did play Duke and not just the mid tier…I would love to watch Gopher football go to Bama or Georgia
Can't help you with Georgia, but Minnesota has Alabama on the schedule for 2032 (home) and 2033 (away). We'll see if those games actually get played.

Can't help you with Georgia, but Minnesota has Alabama on the schedule for 2032 (home) and 2033 (away). We'll see if those games actually get played.
That I understand, but the purpose for the whole powerball style draft was for suspense, tv viewers, the unknown. That style of picking would bring in millions in viewers.

I’m sure there would be some nothing hype games but I’m sure even those would bring in a ton of viewers just for bragging rights between the conferences.

I’d rather know what goes on between Vanderbilt and Rutgers (compared to Rutgers and U of Alberta) and see who wins just to say we’re a deeper conference cause our worst team beat yours., because you know the SEC would use that against us

That I understand, but the purpose for the whole powerball style draft was for suspense, tv viewers, the unknown. That style of picking would bring in millions in viewers.

I’m sure there would be some nothing hype games but I’m sure even those would bring in a ton of viewers just for bragging rights between the conferences.

I’d rather know what goes on between Vanderbilt and Rutgers (compared to Rutgers and U of Alberta) and see who wins just to say we’re a deeper conference cause our worst team beat yours., because you know the SEC would use that against us
Not really sure what you are arguing against. I am not opposed to the crossover games and agree that they would be popular. The issue is with your draft idea. Yes it would generate viewers, but so would an announcement show without the powerball aspect. And even if the powerball concept would generate more viewers, that is a once a year occurrence. Carefully curated matchups would generate more viewers for most (or all) of the eight or ten or twelve games during the season.

Top Bottom