B1G Resurgence Si.com

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/07/big-ten-football-revival?xid=socialflow_twitter_sicr

Not long ago, the Big Ten languished behind the SEC. Thanks to better revenue and homegrown coaches, it's back as the best conference in the land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read it too..beat me to the post. Excellent article, basically nailed it, rising tide (pun intended) lifts all boats. Best FB conference and best overall college sports conference by a wide margin. Like I've said before, SEC FB is starting to look like SEC BBall.

And then they could have a bad bowl season and nobody would say that....

Gee whiz. Cyclical trends. Imagine.

The Big Ten's resurgence as not merely cyclical.

B1G needs to take care of bowl business or the perception bubble pops

It'll be interesting to see things 10 years from now when the BTN, improving facilities, and other things have more time to play out.

Maybe the resurgence is happening because the Big Ten S and C coaches have caught up with the SEC. interesting article in USAToday about Ohio State and how Meyer pretty much turns his program over to his strength coach for 8 months a year. Not sure Klein could handle that responsibility. The "big dogs" pay their strength coaches the same salary as coordinators. Maybe TC should "drain the swamp" and find and pay a new strength coach/coaches(Ohio State has 5 paid weight coaches) who will emphasize new ideas, new concepts, new techniques. If and when this happens, then we will know that TC is serous about advancing the program instead of accepting the status quo. Remember Klein was with Kill for 20 years. Can't say that we have ever been over whelming at the LOS.

Much the way the inferiority of the big ten was very overblown the last 8 years, the inferiority of the big ten is currently over blown.

In reality the conference has probably gone from slightly behind to slightly ahead.

Meanwhile, Bama is the favorite in the playoff and USC is the team I would pick to win the rose bowl.

Much the way the inferiority of the big ten was very overblown the last 8 years, the inferiority of the big ten is currently over blown.

In reality the conference has probably gone from slightly behind to slightly ahead.

Meanwhile, Bama is the favorite in the playoff and USC is the team I would pick to win the rose bowl.

That's how I feel too about the conference perceptions. I do wonder if Bama's dominance has begun to hurt the other SEC teams from a longer term perspective.

It is interesting that SC is favored given almost all the indicators out there rank Penn St as the better team. Thinking 3-4 points for basically being the home team, so SC favored by a FG. Should be a great match-up.

Maybe the resurgence is happening because the Big Ten S and C coaches have caught up with the SEC. interesting article in USAToday about Ohio State and how Meyer pretty much turns his program over to his strength coach for 8 months a year. Not sure Klein could handle that responsibility. The "big dogs" pay their strength coaches the same salary as coordinators. Maybe TC should "drain the swamp" and find and pay a new strength coach/coaches(Ohio State has 5 paid weight coaches) who will emphasize new ideas, new concepts, new techniques. If and when this happens, then we will know that TC is serous about advancing the program instead of accepting the status quo. Remember Klein was with Kill for 20 years. Can't say that we have ever been over whelming at the LOS.

S & C coaches no doubt play a huge role, but it's hard to compare teams that are getting 4 and 5 star football players with the Gophers. No one manhandled the Gophers this year and we were as healthy as ever under this staff.

Investments require capital, and two of the conference's apparent cash grabs—the creation of the Big Ten Network, and the 2014 addition of Rutgers and Maryland—changed the trajectory of the league.

The network helped drive league revenue to unprecedented levels; the Big Ten brought in $448.8 million in 2014-15, almost $110 million more than it had the year before. Schools have plowed that money back into facilities, support staff and coaching salaries. ("Legitimate facilities for student-athletes," Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis says, "not the one that is being built for a recruiting photo.") And the revenue cushion allows Big Ten schools to be patient with coaches instead of making quick moves to placate anxious fan bases.

Meyer says, "You have to sell something you believe in. And that starts with the facilities, hiring an excellent coaching staff and paying the coaches too. When people say 'commitment,' I'm not sure they know how much it means."

The big ten is off to a mid level start to bowl seeing. Affirming my belief that all 5 of the major conferences are pretty close and we should judge teams based on the individual team rather than their conference affiliation.

The big ten is off to a mid level start to bowl seeing. Affirming my belief that all 5 of the major conferences are pretty close and we should judge teams based on the individual team rather than their conference affiliation.

Bad record so far this year but bad matchups for the big 10 so...

If Ohio State and PSU don't take care of business it's going to be that bellyflop scenario I was worried about during the playoff debate. Michigan was missing some key players including Speight's safety blanket Jake Butt but they looked overmatched for most of the night (good comeback bid notwithstanding) and that will be the narrative. Overrated, etc.

I plan on being like SEC fans and if Ohio St wins it all, I'm going to celebrate like it was the Gophers winning it.

ACC by far doing best in bowls, and had some favorable matchups:

ACC: 8-2 (Clemson left)
Big 12: 3-2 (1 left)
Big Ten: 2-4 (3 left & OSU)
Pac 12: 2-2 (1 left & Wash)
SEC: 4-5 (2 left & Bama)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again. Big ten resurgence much overhyped

At the same time Clemson being better than Ohio state does not mean Syracuse is better than Purdue

Again. Big ten resurgence much overhyped

At the same time Clemson being better than Ohio state does not mean Syracuse is better than Purdue

We ar truly diehards if we're arguing which worst team is better. And I'm willing to do that so what does that say about me.

Bottom line is Clemson spanked the bare bottoms of OSU and FSU dominated most of the Michigan game and clearly had better skill players. Not a good look for the supposed top of the Big Ten per most "record matters" fans and Jim Delaney. We don't know how the champion and hitting on all cylinders PSU would have fared against those teams but they get their shot tomorrow.

I personally still don't think Penn State is very good. I would pick MN on a neutral field over them...I think uSC crushes them

USC is hot so that could certainly happen but PSU beat Ohio State, beat Wisconsin, and have been playing well on offense behind a very good QB in McSorley and an elite WR corps and running back. Their defense has gotten a lot healthier and more experienced than earlier in the year. It could be a better game than you think. USC is notoriously streaky and has a tendency to not show up oftentimes. They are also very talented and their QB is playing extremely well. Their defense has playmakers.

I'm looking forward to a better game than last year's Rose Bowl. Actually that was an excellent game in the sense Iowa was finally exposed as the charlatans they were.

Top Bottom