B1G Recruiting Rankings per 247

Otis

Reaction score
Look no further for why we are stuck in the middles as a best case than the recruiting rankings. The following is the number of stars for each B1G team in their top 25 recruits according to 247.

1. MSU - 11 5*, 14 4*, total 111
2. Indiana - 9 5*, 16 4*, total 109
3. OSU - 8 5*, 17 4*, total 108
4. Michigan - 4 5*, 21 4*, total 104
5. Maryland - 3 5*, 22 4*, total 103
6. Illinois - 0 5*, 25 4*, total 100
7. Purdue - 1 5*, 21 4*, 3 3*, total 98
8. Wisconsin - 2 5*, 15 4*, 8 3*, total 94

9. Minnesota - 1 5*, 14 4*, 10 3*, total 91 (2 of our 14 4* recruits come in next year and Garcia would have been our fourth highest recruit. Ihnen is also one of our 4* recruits. We got 1 year of playing time from our top 2 recruits!)

10. Rutgers - 16 4*, 9 3*, total 91
11. Iowa - 10 4*, 15 3*, total 85
12-14. Northwestern, Penn State, and Nebraska - 5 4*, 20 3*, total 80

This includes the 2023 class.
Also, the top 6 have more 4* recruits which do not appear in the top 25.

Clearly, to get into the top of the conference you have to recruit and coach or coach your ass off with a good system!

Kentucky and Duke’s top 25 has all 5*! Kansas has 24. Gonzaga has only 3 5* players and of course 2 are from Minnesota!

Ps- Christie looked like no PG in the highlights of his game against the Fears brothers. His center brought the ball up the court a lot!

Last edited:

Look no further for why we are stuck in the middles as a best case than the recruiting rankings. The following is the number of stars for each B1G team in their top 25 recruits according to 247.

9. Minnesota - 1 5*, 14 4*, 10 3*, total 91

Clearly, to get into the top of the conference you have to recruit and coach or coach your ass off with a good system!

Ps- Christie looked like no PG in the highlights of his game against the Fears brothers. His center brought the ball up the court a lot!
He’s a SG

9. Minnesota - 1 5*, 14 4*, 10 3*, total 91 (2 of our 14 4* recruits come in next year and Garcia would have been our fourth highest recruit. Ihnen is also one of our 4* recruits. We got 1 year of playing time from our top 2 recruits!)

Kentucky and Duke’s top 25 has all 5*! Kansas has 24. Gonzaga has only 3 5* players and of course 2 are from Minnesota!

Our Recruiting isn't much different than Purdue, Wisconsin and Iowa. We are higher than Iowa according to this. Purdue, Wisconsin and Sparty have been the three most consistent programs in this era. Indiana has definitely underachieved, you could say we have too. I don't think we've been the 9th best program in the last 20 ish years

This list only included the top 25 recruits? what a waste of time. A one and done 5 star likely isnt as valuable as a 4 year contributing 3 star. Purdue doesnt dominate recruiting rankings and look at em now. Edey is a perfect example.

This list only included the top 25 recruits? what a waste of time. A one and done 5 star likely isnt as valuable as a 4 year contributing 3 star. Purdue doesnt dominate recruiting rankings and look at em now. Edey is a perfect example.
It does give you an idea of who gets the better recruits and who has to find diamonds in the rough.

Garza and Edey are both 3* recruits who became player of the year candidates. Murphy was a jewel of a recruit as well.

My point is, we probably aren’t getting to the summit of the B1G by outrecruiting anybody. The last Gopher coach to do that was Dutcher with the Trent Tucker class.

Ben has recruited 2 4* players and gotten one to transfer in.(less him than locality) So maybe, he can get the talent level to make it easier for him to coach them up. He is doing well so far in that regard.

So far his coaching is not lifting the players above their rankings. It would be nice to see improvement.

The current teams biggest flaw is PG play. Hopefully he can address that as soon as possible!

Gee Christy is not a 6-6 pg? I am just hoping he is quick enough to guard sg or sf. Get me some small quick players so we can stop pretending we have the next Penny Hardaway but not a top 50 ranked player.

I'd venture a guess this is incorrect in 90+ percent of cases.
Looking at win shares would be interesting. Probably not completely unreasonable to think a player who plays 3-4 years at a school provides more of them vs a 1 year guy.

and hopefully as good a SG as his brother Max
Hopefully better than Max. He did start all year and got drafted (because of his measureables) but he was not a very good SG for Michigan State in his one year.

He shot poorly, had as many turnovers as assists, and didn't do a lot other than that.

To put it into context, Braden Carrington has a higher PER and will likely finish with a similar WS. I know those numbers aren't great for the advanced stats people, but I'm just saying that Max Christie was in the same general level a Braden Carrington has been this year.This isn't a slight to Braden (who I think will be a decent Big 10 basketball player) and I fully acknowledge that Christie's athletic profile gives him a really high ceilings.

I'm just trying to set expectations.

Looking at win shares would be interesting. Probably not completely unreasonable to think a player who plays 3-4 years at a school provides more of them vs a 1 year guy.
But that's not a fair comparison.

The comparison should be:

5 Star Player:
Year 1: His WS
Year 2: WS of whoever replaced the scholarship
Year 3: WS of whoever replaced the scholarship
Year 4: WS of whoever replaced the scholarship

vs. 3 star player's 4 year WS total.

But that's not a fair comparison.

The comparison should be:

5 Star Player:
Year 1: His WS
Year 2: WS of whoever replaced the scholarship
Year 3: WS of whoever replaced the scholarship
Year 4: WS of whoever replaced the scholarship

vs. 3 star player's 4 year WS total.
I get your point, but then do we count the WS over the career of the player. Do we count the WS of the player who starts over the 3 star while they develop?

Hopefully better than Max. He did start all year and got drafted (because of his measureables) but he was not a very good SG for Michigan State in his one year.

He shot poorly, had as many turnovers as assists, and didn't do a lot other than that.

To put it into context, Braden Carrington has a higher PER and will likely finish with a similar WS. I know those numbers aren't great for the advanced stats people, but I'm just saying that Max Christie was in the same general level a Braden Carrington has been this year.This isn't a slight to Braden (who I think will be a decent Big 10 basketball player) and I fully acknowledge that Christie's athletic profile gives him a really high ceilings.

All of our HS recruits under Ben are projects, including Evans and Christie. They are not day 1 high impact players. They also may never be high impact players. That's why you have to assemble a good team around them in order to be competitive and hope a few of the projects develop into studs, because not all of them will. You don't win with a team full of projects.

All of our HS recruits under Ben are projects, including Evans and Christie. They are not day 1 high impact players. They also may never be high impact players. That's why you have to assemble a good team around them in order to be competitive and hope a few of the projects develop into studs, because not all of them will. You don't win with a team full of projects.
Yep, I agree completely. They are guys who could be really good if they are put in the right positions and a huge part of that is making them earn minutes, playing the right positions and being put in the right position to succeed. It's why guards are so important, they sort of set all of that stuff up (it's why good guard play is so important in the tournament).

Without guards, it's kind of like drafting a QB into a terrible situation (no weapons, no OL, etc.).

Last edited:

That’s interesting his stats were poor relative to his draft status… my memory definitely failed me. I thought he had a pretty deadly midrange game, and I must have just caught him on a few of his good nights.

Top Bottom