B1G Match 14: Gopher Visit Northwestern (11-5-23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Minnesota, 7-6 in conference, concludes their road trip with a stop in Evanston. Northwestern is 5-8 coming off a 0-3 loss at Illinois last Wednesday

It does seem like the Gophs can pull out a 5th place finish. Not sure if that's good enough to get into the tournament, but probably.

Gophers with a 3-1 win in four of the tightest sets of the season 25-27, 25-23, 25-21 and 25-23. Landfair, according to the announcers had 25 kills

Gophers with a 3-1 win in four of the tightest sets of the season 25-27, 25-23, 25-21 and 25-23. Landfair, according to the announcers had 25 kills
Season high in her home state!

She had a great run of kills for points 15, 16 (dig from Murr as she was falling to other side of court) and 17 (NW gave her a great set and open net) in set 4 to make the lead 17-11.

I expect them to lose to Purdue. Not sure why that one isn’t on BTN. Not paying for + this year so I’ll have to wait and see.

If they do manage to beat Purdue, they could sweep the rest of the games other than Neb and make the tournament. Otherwise, I will wonder how to the ILL and IU matches go.

Some positives from this match...TayLa having another outstanding all around game and our block. Also, Grote having a really nice game. Passing was not as bad as it has been and Wucherer actually got to serve at least once. We didn't score on the latter but it wasn't a SE either.

Take aways...the block needs to keep improving and 2 pins need to perform for us to be competitive and maybe come out with more wins. Our blocking held another offensive OH to a very low hitting %...second match in a row. Keep it up!

There is just no sense in "banging our heads against the wall" to try and figure out the lack of a middle game. It has been going on for years no matter who is in the back court for the Gophers.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we can have all three starting pins successful in a match and our blocking game spot on? Maybe we could see that before this season ends.

Top Bottom