B1G Match 1: Gophers Visit Iowa (9-21-23)

Winner.

On a side note---no way she was in the net on that challenge by Cook (he was right). Luckily we had a big lead.

Yes we have a different HC this season. You would never have seen this continuous self imploding of these players under Hugh like you are seeing with KCook. There is no doubt ERRORS have taken over this Gopher team.

This is the BIG and, after this match, I am now wondering exactly how much scouting of our opponents has happened or will.....if it has, it certainly has not translated to the court.

Seriously, we have a HC not making any changes no matter the opponents. We see the same thing over and over and over from a starting lineup to players shuffled in and out constantly throughout the match. With this style of coaching, I absolutely don't want to think about this coming Sunday match.

@GopherJack Nebraska farmers like it much more than Iowa farmers!

@WayOfTheGopher arena was built for minor league hockey. Would be cool to see Iowa start a varsity team. Illinois is trying to.

One nice thing about this match was the middle hitting. When they actually set the middles, the sets were pretty much on and the balls were hit hard! Nice!!!! NEED MORE.

Wucherer serve …. actually is pretty nice! I hadn’t see Gophs play since they went west. I won’t waste money on BTN+ this year. So, point being, I have no idea how long she’s been doing it. When I first saw her toss in set 1, I laughed out loud. Shook my head as it went into the stands (not actually, but very long). Trying to be Jenna Wenaas?? But no, had some very nice service points. And a lot of errors.

That’s how that goes. Thats men’s style serving. Error city.

That’s what Cook is trying to do. Play men’s style volleyball in women’s college.

Stupid, IMO. But he’s getting paid.

Not sure if we really deserved to win that. A loss might have forced more change faster. But who am I kidding?

If TL and Wuch are passing, we have a chance with anyone in that set.

If they aren’t passing, we have a chance to LOSE to anyone in that set.

That’s how it’s going to go this year.

Questionable if we get too 16 and get to host first round, at this rate.

Set one demonstrated what happens when the offense (full range of attack options) and serving operate as coached. Cook clearly believes the team will play better and more consistently as the season progresses. I'm just hoping we level up a bit more quickly than the ever so incremental progress thus far. Getting better during the season is more aspired to than achieved; but this team has the talent to crank it up.

Set one demonstrated what happens when the offense (full range of attack options) and serving operate as coached. Cook clearly believes the team will play better and more consistently as the season progresses. I'm just hoping we level up a bit more quickly than the ever so incremental progress thus far. Getting better during the season is more aspired to than achieved; but this team has the talent to crank it up.
He came into a program with players he didn't recruit and never saw playing up close. Once we as fans come to the realization that this is his style of play and in a few years once his recruits come in and run his plays, I hope we do see a drastic change in play.

^^ how many kills did she have from the backrow?

How many shanked passes and defensive passing errors did she have from the backrow??

She would still serve and play defense on that half-rotation.

Selfish. Would rather hurt the team than be DS’ed out.

@GopherJack Nebraska farmers like it much more than Iowa farmers!

@WayOfTheGopher arena was built for minor league hockey. Would be cool to see Iowa start a varsity team. Illinois is trying to.

One nice thing about this match was the middle hitting. When they actually set the middles, the sets were pretty much on and the balls were hit hard! Nice!!!! NEED MORE.

Wucherer serve …. actually is pretty nice! I hadn’t see Gophs play since they went west. I won’t waste money on BTN+ this year. So, point being, I have no idea how long she’s been doing it. When I first saw her toss in set 1, I laughed out loud. Shook my head as it went into the stands (not actually, but very long). Trying to be Jenna Wenaas?? But no, had some very nice service points. And a lot of errors.

That’s how that goes. Thats men’s style serving. Error city.

That’s what Cook is trying to do. Play men’s style volleyball in women’s college.

Stupid, IMO. But he’s getting paid.

Not sure if we really deserved to win that. A loss might have forced more change faster. But who am I kidding?

If TL and Wuch are passing, we have a chance with anyone in that set.

If they aren’t passing, we have a chance to LOSE to anyone in that set.

That’s how it’s going to go this year.

Questionable if we get too 16 and get to host first round, at this rate.
This 1,000+! The hitting lanes become more open when we actually hit out of the middle and aren't always hitting from the pins. The middle attack was spot on. MORE PLEASE!

This 1,000+! The hitting lanes become more open when we actually hit out of the middle and aren't always hitting from the pins. The middle attack was spot on. MORE PLEASE!
I totally agree with this. It appeared the middle was open a lot for us during that match. I think we would be foolish to believe it will be the same with Nebraska.....but it sure would be nice.

Top Bottom